Rumor: Price on Kevin Hayes possibly set

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Ah', the set the bar high so nobody bids. "Sorry, Hayes, we couldn't get your traded. Seems like nobody wanted you. How about you re-sign with us for 4 years and less than what you wanted? Nobody else was giving you that".

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Wouldn’t you just gun for the bigger fish if you’re paying that high a price?

If that is the price for Hayes, surely Ottawa will try and get more for Duchene. Then again, with their GM, I could see Duchene going for a 2nd and a B prospect. :dunno:

In my mind, there are three possible scenarios here: A. There is a GM who wants to sign Hayes long term and is willing to pay that price as he doesn't look at Hayes as a rental. B. A GM panics and is willing to give Gorton what he wants (its not like it hasn't happened before). C. Neither of the first two happen and we get a 1st and a B prospect for Hayes.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
why do the Rangers want to move him?
We have a few C’s already (Zib, Chytil, Strome, Howden, Andersson) and Hayes is on the last year of his deal
We’re in the midst of rebuilding so 1sts/top prospects go a long way for building this team for the future
I wouldn’t count out him re-signing with us in the offseason though, he loves it here and he’s bffs with Skjei and Vesey
I’d be 100% open to re-signing him

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Boston unloaded a horrendous negative value contract and and added a waiver fodder center to a 1st.
Beleskey’s contract at the time wasn’t even bad though..it was less than 2 mil (which Boston retained I think 50% on) and his contract expires this year
And at the time of the trade Spooner was producing well and was near a PPG with us after the trade. Spooner was closer to a top 6er than waiver fodder last years TDL
Also Boston added Ryan Lindgren (decent prospect at the time) who has looked really solid in his 2 game stint in the NHL

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
People commenting here really haven’t watched Hayes play this year. He has been absolutely phenomenal. Rick Nash pulled a 1st, B prospect, and roster player last year. Hayes has been monumentally better in 2019 than Nash was last year. He is playing like a legit 2C on a contender, one of the few bright spots for NYR.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Every single team “sets this price” for their solid top-6 forwards.

This was the exact price that Buffalo “set” for Evander Kane, and then they traded him for a conditional 2nd (became a 1st) and a career AHL prospect.
This is exactly what came to mind when I read the thread title. Hayes is a more versatile and better player than Kane though and plays a position that's always in demand in this league.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People commenting here really haven’t watched Hayes play this year. He has been absolutely phenomenal. Rick Nash pulled a 1st, B prospect, and roster player last year. Hayes has been monumentally better in 2019 than Nash was last year. He is playing like a legit 2C on a contender, one of the few bright spots for NYR.

Brassard brought back a 1st, B prospect and a rental last year, when he had an additional year of control and had a $2 million lower cap hit. That seems like a better comparison to use than Nash to me.

I could see something like a 1st and 3rd or a 1st and a struggling roster player for Hayes, but a 1st, a roster player and a top prospect? That's laughable.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Brassard brought back a 1st, B prospect and a rental last year, when he had an additional year of control and had a $2 million lower cap hit. That seems like a better comparison to use than Nash to me.

Kevin Hayes in 2019 is playing superior hockey to Brassard in 2018, or at any point in his regular season career in my opinion.

Hayes takes the toughest defensive assignments, kills penalties, has had weak linemates most of the year, and has produced at a higher PPG than Brass ever did.

I think the return will be similar given his contract expires this year and Brass had an additional year.

Brass in 2018 - scoring depth
Hayes - all situations 2C

Corvus Corax

Prospectin
Apr 22, 2005
Northern BC
I guess it depends on the context.
A 29-31 pick, top 5,6,7 prospect and a young'ish 3rd,4th liner? Not so bad.

A 20,21 pick, top 2-3 prospect and young potential 2nd line roster player? That sounds gross.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I always laugh at teams setting prices for their rental players.

The truth is that there are only so many buyers and only so many teams willing to part with their 1st rounder for a rental every year. And given the usually less than stellar results of these trades, the number should arguably decline.

Sure Hanzal got this and Gaustad got that...
Erat got Forsberg. Does not mean that any GM in their right minds has any interest in repeating trades like that.

At the end of the day rentals have an expiry date. If someone offers a 1st minutes before the deadline ends and it is the best offer, Gorton will gladly take it (if he is set on trading him which he probably should be).

With Duchene (and others) on the market, I don't see anyone coming close to that request. 1st+ top prospect + roster player was basically Sakics ask for Duchene when he had almost 2 years left...

The Preds just made two trades. Can't see them giving up their 1st and one of their top prospects and more for Hayes. Jets are more likely but I don't see Chevy overpaying by that much given that their capsituation probably gives them 0 chance of retaining Hayes in the summer.

Avs are thankfully out of any discussions after Sakic made it clear yesterday that he is 100 % keeping our 1st round picks and top prospects...

Who else is rumored to be in the market for him?

Then everyone will be waiting on Ottawa and Columbus before making a big deal...

Maybe Gorton gets lucky like Holland did last deadline with Vegas striking out on Karlsson last minute and McPhee panic trading for Tatar in the last minutes of the deadline.

But I don't see it. I think if Hayes gets you a 1st+ a B- prospect, you should be okay with it. Holding out for way more would be quite the gamble...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I don’t get how a 6’5 2 way center that’s a line driver and pacing for 68.6 points is worth a 1st+B prospect max
Look what Hanzal got, who Hayes is much better than at the respective times. Different markets, I know but Hayes isn’t getting lucky this year with points, he’s been a legit beast
I wouldn't sacrifice a first for him as a habs fan.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don’t get how a 6’5 2 way center that’s a line driver and pacing for 68.6 points is worth a 1st+B prospect max
Look what Hanzal got, who Hayes is much better than at the respective times. Different markets, I know but Hayes isn’t getting lucky this year with points, he’s been a legit beast

Maybe because he's not under contract next year?

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Rangers rebuild not going well as planned so now desparate move to set ridiculous prices for Kevin meh Hayes. Which imbecile gm would pay this price ? Chia gone so Hayes stays put in msg I bet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad