Value of: Price of Tyler Johnson to Anaheim

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Who is signed for 5-6 years and just entered a NTC
What does do either of those things have to do with anything? If he went to the ducks, then he obviously waived it, and he's 25 years old signed long term on a reasonable contract of 5m. You can't be serious. If the ducks decline they decline. But it's far from an absurd ask.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Think this would be an easy no from Anaheim IMO. There is no point for Anaheim in trading for Johnson if they are trading away one of their best forwards in Kase to acquire him, that leaves Anaheim back where they started while also losing a quality prospect in Mahura. Also are Tampa not trying to get rid of salary? Kase is looking at a 2.5-3m contract in RFA this off-season so I'm not sure how they would fit it in anyway.

Either way, Anaheim aren't going to be contenders again anytime soon - they should be holding onto young players like Kase as he will be one of the core players for Anaheim post Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler.

Tampa also isn't trading Johnson as a cap dump, he's still a top 6 forward and one of the few right shot we have, we would use others as dumps before him. If Kase signed for 2.5 we'd still save on the deal and with the space we have it'll be enough to fit Karlsson this year.

I don't know how you guys could blow it up and rebuild. I don't see Getzlaf and Perry wanting to leave so you might as well try to win in the next 3 years with them. Your goaltending and D are good, just need a few more forwards to add some firepower.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Tampa also isn't trading Johnson as a cap dump, he's still a top 6 forward and one of the few right shot we have, we would use others as dumps before him. If Kase signed for 2.5 we'd still save on the deal and with the space we have it'll be enough to fit Karlsson this year.

I don't know how you guys could blow it up and rebuild. I don't see Getzlaf and Perry wanting to leave so you might as well try to win in the next 3 years with them. Your goaltending and D are good, just need a few more forwards to add some firepower.

Why are you trying to sell us on Johnson? He isn't a good fit for the Ducks given their current situation. Just leave it at that and find someone else to take him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why are you trying to sell us on Johnson? He isn't a good fit for the Ducks given their current situation. Just leave it at that and find someone else to take him.

OP was asking what it would take to get Johnson to Anaheim, I wasn't the one who started it by trying to sell him. Lock this up then.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't OP ask what it would take to get Johnson? Ducks fans complaining when they find out he isn't going to be given away as a pure dump.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't OP ask what it would take to get Johnson? Ducks fans complaining when they find out he isn't going to be given away as a pure dump.

Why is it that people seem to forget that a thread is made by one person and not the entire fan base?

OP asked what it would take to get Johnson, but multiple other Ducks fans don't think he fits the direction of the team at the suggested cost.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
What does do either of those things have to do with anything? If he went to the ducks, then he obviously waived it, and he's 25 years old signed long term on a reasonable contract of 5m. You can't be serious. If the ducks decline they decline. But it's far from an absurd ask.
TJ turns 28 in a couple weeks.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Literally no one Ducks fan is suggesting the price is too high. None of us want to give up the asking price because it goes against the direction the team should go. So maybe chill.

Mr Quacksworth

Apr 8, 2018
Anaheim
2 of Ritchie/Petterson/Jones/Mahura/Morand
'19 2nd Round Pick (Cnd'l 1st if Ducks make SCF)

For

Tyler Johnson
Low-end Prospect (if TB needs the space)
'19 6th Round Pick (I know, "why a 6th??")

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Why would Anaheim trade young assets. They should be rebuilding soon.

We have no one servicing a third and forth line worth a darn. Hell we have Henrique servicing a second line because Kesler is injury prone every season. And we shouldn’t be wasting the last years of Getzlaf and Perry’s career with a crappy .500 team until they retire. That’s why!

Sorry for the rant. Just want value of.......

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
We have no one servicing a third and forth line worth a darn. Hell we have Henrique servicing a second line because Kesler is injury prone every season. And we shouldn’t be wasting the last years of Getzlaf and Perry’s career with a crappy .500 team until they retire. That’s why!

Sorry for the rant. Just want value of.......
this team is not a contender even with Johnson. So wasting future assets to add in another large long term contract when we still need money to re-sign Gibson next season and possible one of Henrique or Silf isn't a good idea. We just need to accept and deal with the players we have and see where Getz, our defense and Gibson can take us.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
2 of Ritchie/Petterson/Jones/Mahura/Morand
'19 2nd Round Pick (Cnd'l 1st if Ducks make SCF)

For

Tyler Johnson
Low-end Prospect (if TB needs the space)
'19 6th Round Pick (I know, "why a 6th??")

Ritchie + Mahura + 2nd for Johnson + Tammela + 6th isn't the worst deal possible, isn't the best either but is in consideration. Ritchie should be signed cheap so we get 4mil or so in space, Mahura is a very good D prospect and we might lose our 2nd to the Rangers so getting one back is nice. Ritchie I don't know if he fits our style of play but we could use a banger which he is so will help the bottom 6 be more physical at least.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

I agree with this last part of the statement. Not sure how Ducks fans want to let sail two of the best players ever in franchise history off to the sunset. This is absurd. Getzlaf and Perry won a cup and our only cup.

If you can get immediate help then get them help! before the numbers goto the rafters. Tyler Johnson is worth every penny if we can negotiate a trade.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Johnson's a good player, and the asking price is fair, but ANA is not in a position to be trading 1st round picks (IMO).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I agree with this last part of the statement. Not sure how Ducks fans want to let sail two of the best players ever in franchise history off to the sunset. This is absurd. Getzlaf and Perry won a cup and our only cup.

If you can get immediate help then get them help! before the numbers goto the rafters. Tyler Johnson is worth every penny if we can negotiate a trade.

I'd rather management be realistic about the team's direction rather than sentimental. You're talking about "getting help" for Perry who was maybe our 5th most effective forward last season...

Getzlaf and Perry have had a wonderful run with this team, by no means does that suggest they should abandon the future and go all out to try and win another Cup with those two still around.

Reactions: dracom

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Personally id be interested , idk that id give a 1st 2nd(I don't think Anaheim would want to wait till round 3 to draft anyway) and okay prospect I think id rather give up 1st + solid prospect

1st + max jones for TJ.... maybe a depth dmen or something on top of that, that wont really fit on our roster like welinski or something.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Henrique would be the 2nd line center in that situation (as he did for a lot of last season already).

Off topic, but how was Henrique in that role?

He always looked best on the wing in New Jersey. A serviceable center, but most Devils fans will tell you that's not putting him in the best place to succeed. I'm just curious.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Off topic, but how was Henrique in that role?

He always looked best on the wing in New Jersey. A serviceable center, but most Devils fans will tell you that's not putting him in the best place to succeed. I'm just curious.

I wish we had the center depth to try him on wing.

As to your question; he was streaky but performed well overall. Had some nice chemistry with Ritchie and Kase. Also played well with Perry.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
There have been some good proposals in this thread (which is more than I can say for most proposal threads). That being said, I just don't see it being a good fit right now. TyJo would be great but the ask from TB just wouldn't make sense imo. TB can't take money back without moving some first (especially assuming they land Karlsson) so their ideal return is going to be picks/prospects.

I think most Duck fans agree that the team is in that limbo of not being good enough to be 1 piece away from a contender but also nowhere near bad enough to tank and rebuild. We have a good young D core and some good F potential in the pipeline. Personally I think the current window is closed but the next window is not too far. Once Steel/Terry/Comtois are ready for Top 6/9 duties is when I think the next window opens. Probably between 1-3 years. Then we have additional D prospects like Mahura, Larsson, Welinski that can fill in our D corps or be used as trade pieces.

After 3 years, I imagine our lineup will look something like:
Ritchie-Getz-Rakell
Comtois-Steel-Kase
Jones-Morand-Terry
4th-4th-4th

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Defensive RD
Larsson/Mahura-Montour

Once our lineup (mostly our F core) is more solidified, thats when I think we should make the moves like moving picks for talent like TyJo will help push us over the top to be true contenders again. Should give us a solid window since most of our D will be in their late 20s and our F will all be mid 20s.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Where does he currently fit in?

Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, Rakell (?), Steel...

Seems like Anaheim is pretty set at center, no?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Where does he currently fit in?

Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, Rakell (?), Steel...

Seems like Anaheim is pretty set at center, no?
He would probably be 2C behind Getz if Kes isn't playing next season. Rakell is a LW, I don't see him ever playing center in his career again. Steel is also probably another year or two out from being a full time NHL player. With that said, still don't think going after Johnson is a good idea until we deal with Gibson's extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad