Post-Game Talk: Price hates November confirmed Habs 4 Pens 1

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We haven’t played boring hockey in a while. We just went back to it because we were getting killed. Teams with less talent should play boring.
I think that's only because we got used to a completely terrible style of game that any upbeat style seemed like a blessing for the Lord himself.
But then start watching teams that have actual legit talent, and ya...you easily tell the difference.
Lemieux comes from watching guys like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and the likes...he seems talent displaying serious skills.

We dont. It's boring.

Reactions: Death and abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
So the conundrum here is that Habs fans want exciting hockey over winning? which is it? The Devils of yesteryear were so dull,as were many teams back then,but winning a cup,that's the dream n'est pas?

I think there is misunderstanding about what I meant by "it's sad". I find it "sad" that Montreal exceeding expectations last year did not even result in playoffs: It speaks a lot about the state of the team and how they are perceived around the league.

But to answer your input: The Devils were a winning team, like top of standings team. It's one thing to play a boring game and win with it. It's another to play a boring game and still miss the playoffs: Us fans really don't have a lot to cheer for.

Edit: also I am really sad because if we look at only the past 20 years and forget about the glorious history of the franchise, we would talk about a very mediocre team with nothing notorious to talk about. Maybe Price's and Theodore's runs? The Halak run? What else?

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think there is misunderstanding about what I meant by "it's sad". I find it "sad" that Montreal exceeding expectations last year did not even result in playoffs: It speaks a lot about the state of the team and how they are perceived around the league.

But to answer your input: The Devils were a winning team, like top of standings team. It's one thing to play a boring game and win with it. It's another to play a boring game and still miss the playoffs: Us fans really don't have a lot to cheer for.

The salary cap and parity are responsible for the type of hockey played now. It limits resources and teams without a glaring superstar make for dull hockey. Teams generally still plan to make the PO's regardless of style to make it there, at least that is the perceived expectation.

Yes the Devils were a winning team,but how boring was it? the most boring cup champions of all time.
Teams have to play to the ability they have,if it means boring hockey and a chance to make the PO's,that's what they gotta do,more revenue.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
The salary cap and parity are responsible for the type of hockey played now. It limits resources and teams without a glaring superstar make for dull hockey. Teams generally still plan to make the PO's regardless of style to make it there, at least that is the perceived expectation.

Yes the Devils were a winning team,but how boring was it? the most boring cup champions of all time.
Teams have to play to the ability they have,if it means boring hockey and a chance to make the PO's,that's what they gotta do,more revenue.

Habs are nowhere near winning a championship. This is not the same thing.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Are we winning?

Winning more games than losing if looking at the standings. If suggesting winning the cup, I got regular ones,not crystal.

upload_2019-12-11_16-23-2.jpeg

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
The salary cap and parity are responsible for the type of hockey played now. It limits resources and teams without a glaring superstar make for dull hockey.

And yet, other teams playing in the same salary cap have multitude of superstars playing exciting hockey and actually winning or at least getting close to winning the cup.

We seem to be one of those teams that play boring hockey without any superstar offensive players and as a result, not winning or even getting close to winning.

Reactions: abo9

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Habs are nowhere near winning a championship. This is not the same thing.

I beg to differ your highness, habs are trying to win,regardless of style of play. Tweek along the way,still very early on in the season and with intangibles and moves,not as far off seeing there is so much parity. Can you or anyone confidently predict the cup winner this season?

tenor.gif

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Although there is certainly no live for Bettman, our team having no superstar offensive forward is certainly not his fault.

Depends on each individuals criteria. If cap was a non-issue. Radulov would most likely still be around and some UFA's would have been signed, but

upload_2019-12-11_16-50-50.jpeg

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Err... Last I checked, we haven't had a cap problem in a number of years. Actually, our cap situation is reminiscent of those teams that are too poor to get to the cap ceiling.

If cap was not a problem,why the hell did the Habs not go after the likes of Mc david etc? Money surely wasn't an issue,but the cap curtails what can actually transpire.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

I agree, and Julien does a good job with whatever scraps he is given.

But I also agree when Lemieux says Habs play boring hockey. And they do so because they have a bad team. The salary cap is not responsible for the bad Habs management and for this team being that bad ... I can name a lot of teams that are more fun to watch...

Depends on each individuals criteria. If cap was a non-issue. Radulov would most likely still be around and some UFA's would have been signed, but

That's actually on Bergevin, or have you not seen all the available cap space we have had for the past few years? Radulov should have been signed if the goal was to win games.

And no, the Cap is not an issue for Montreal, it can actually work to their advantage since some teams want to minimize liabilities and Montreal can gain assets from swallowing them (see Steve Mason). It also allowed Montreal to swallow costly mistakes like Alzner and soon Byron.
If anything, these days it looks like Molson installed an in-house cap lower than the league's cap.

Reactions: Kimota

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I agree, and Julien does a good job with whatever scraps he is given.

But I also agree when Lemieux says Habs play boring hockey. And they do so because they have a bad team. The salary cap is not responsible for the bad Habs management and for this team being that bad ... I can name a lot of teams that are more fun to watch...

That's actually on Bergevin, or have you not seen all the available cap space we have had for the past few years? Radulov should have been signed if the goal was to win games.

And no, the Cap is not an issue for Montreal, it can actually work to their advantage since some teams want to minimize liabilities and Montreal can gain assets from swallowing them (see Steve Mason). It also allowed Montreal to swallow costly mistakes like Alzner and soon Byron.
If anything, these days it looks like Molson installed an in-house cap lower than the league's cap.

Speculation and opinions are are very easy to debate,and Molson is not helping Habs win,but that has been since along time.The decisions MB made/makes is contingent on if a plan ever gets to fruition,dependent on many factors,cap is essentially the pertaining factor.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Sorry that we could not get so many franchise players like the Pens to be able to play exciting hockey there Mario.

Yup and as soon as Crosby and Malkin (who replaced Mario) are done the Pens will get yet another franchise superstar to replace them since that's how that team rolls it seems. If Mario didn't go to Pitt at the time that franchise likely wouldn't even exist right now.

Reactions: Kimota and abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Speculation and opinions are are very easy to debate,and Molson is not helping Habs win,but that has been since along time.The decisions MB made/makes is contingent on if a plan ever gets to fruition,dependent on many factors,cap is essentially the pertaining factor.

Speculation? i'm not speculating ... the team is bad and the fault is the manager, not the Cap. Every team has to live with the cap but not every team has incompetent management.

It looks like they have been focused on rebuilding through youth these past 2 years. We will see how they correct their mistakes.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I beg to differ your highness, habs are trying to win,regardless of style of play. Tweek along the way,still very early on in the season and with intangibles and moves,not as far off seeing there is so much parity. Can you or anyone confidently predict the cup winner this season?

I can confidently predict who wont be the the cup winner this season; the Habs. Done. Easy.

See you in the spring to collect that pound of flesh. But i'm sure you'll be long gone back into hiding by then. Just like every other smug pom pom waiving fanboy.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I can confidently predict who wont be the the cup winner this season; the Habs. Done. Easy.

See you in the spring to collect that pound of flesh. But i'm sure you'll be long gone back into hiding by then. Just like every other smug pom pom waiving fanboy.

"occupation: hatin' "

checks out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad