LeBrun: Price for Lehkonen is at least a 1st round pick, lots of teams interested

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This isn't about wanting to trade him. They're somewhat pigeon-holed by the contracts of Armia and Byron. If they could sell of the remaining year of Byron's deal that would certainly help.

As for Lehkonen's value, I don't think a first is out of line at all. Let's look at comparable trades that got first rounds in the previous 2 years:

2021:
  • Foligno got a first and a fourth
  • Savard got a first and a third
2020:
  • Goodrow and a third got a first

IMO, Lehkonen is significantly better than Foligno and Savard at the time of their trades. While Goodrow is a more physical player, I think Lehkonen is the better player. Career numbers in similar games played and he's out produced him. Their production this year is similar. AK has the better advances stats. If Barclay went on the market today, what's the asking price? It should be at least that for Artturi.
I agree he’s better than Foligno as we speak but every deal is a deal amongst itself and the teams involved.

It’s just not sound hockey business to move good players for the sake of moving them. If he were a UFA that would obviously change things but he’s not.

He’s a good player, he’s not old by any means, you need players like him in your lineup and like I said earlier in this thread, they’d have to replace him for probably the same price in the summer (with an older player), and then wait 3-5 years for that pick to develop, hoping the drafted player turns out as good.

The Habs have others to concentrate on moving out of town. The only way they should move him, is if a team came to them offering a top prospect and a pick. Don’t see that happening, as he’s not worth that type of return.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For a team that would look to add Lehkonen, a first pick equates to low end 20s or into the 30s, so let's keep it in perspective.

Other teams probably won't be interested in Lehkonen because he's not going to push a middling team over the top, but a contender absolutely needs these kinds of guys..... Kind of like Coleman for tampa last year.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Do you read threads all the way to the end and then go back and respond to messages?

That's absolutely insane.
Then don't reply to quotes on the first page.

You could've scrolled down eight posts and you would've found the response and my clarification. Not insane, just logical.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Where are all of these 1st round picks being grown at?

From my understanding, First Round Pick also means Prospects worth a First Round Pick.

I assume that you're a Blues fan, so a first rounder could probably mean Zacharie Bolduc and Zach Neighbours as well as your next first rounders. Probably doesn't mean Dominic Bokk though, as I don't think his value is a first at this point.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
It would suck to trade him, he is a third liner that can help you go deep. Very responsible defensively and moves the puck well up the Ice. He would shut down top lines and likely score a couple goals a series.

Lehkonen
Allen
Kulak

For

Samsonov
1st
Contract

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
From my understanding, First Round Pick also means Prospects worth a First Round Pick.

I assume that you're a Blues fan, so a first rounder could probably mean Zacharie Bolduc and Zach Neighbours as well as your next first rounders. Probably doesn't mean Dominic Bokk though, as I don't think his value is a first at this point.
I guess, it’s just odd that almost everyone that is listed as “available” the ask is a first round pick. I guess that’s just a short way or looking for draft capital/futures.

It’s also a bit odd that the ask for middling players has been so high this season esp with it seeming like there are more sellers than buyers.

I guess it never hurts to ask, however, it doesn’t seem realistic all of these players hold the same generic first round pick value.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You could've scrolled down eight posts and you would've found the response and my clarification. Not insane, just logical.

On the contrary, there's absolutely nothing logical about expecting people to not respond to posts as they read through a thread. It's a bizarre take.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

On the contrary, there's absolutely nothing logical about expecting people to not respond to posts as they read through a thread. It's a bizarre take.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Probability is that Lehkonen is a better player than whoever that late first round pick will turn out to be. If I'm a GM and can acquire and re-sign Lehkonen for a long term deal at ~3.5M for a late first rounder, it'd be a no brainer

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kravtsov, Hajek and a pick.
That's a top 5 hit on the Rangers forum. If the Rangers don't want to pay a first rounder or equivalent, there will be no deal. Your fellow fans keep saying the Rangers can do better with their first rounder elsewhere. By all means, let the Rangers hold on to it or trade it elsewhere, it'll be a win for everyone so we don't have to keep seeing these cheap-ass fake offers anymore.

Kravtsov is a head case. Failed to report to the AHL twice? Who does that -- Drouin, that's who. Been there, done that. No thanks.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jeff Gorton got himself in trouble at times in NY asking for too much. Wanted a 1st rounder for Georgiev. Also was asking for a 1st for Zuccarello. Traded for 2 picks that could have become 1sts, but did not. He's doing it with Chiarot as well.
Yeah, but Gorton is not the Habs' GM. Hughes is.

Nice stories, though.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
True but look how well it worked for Tampa when they traded for Goodrow
In the playoff, the top six are heavily checked. It will be the bottom six that make the difference. No wonder the contender team looked for very good defensive 3rd liner who can contribute offensively like Goodrow.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lehkonen is going to be a valuable commodity.

I’m not sure Coleman and Goodrow are the most apt comps though - those guys had an additional year remaining on really, really cheap deals. I get the Lehk is only an RFA but the real appeal and value in these players is when you have them for under market value. The appeal in a guy like Goodrow is that Tampa got him for an incredible below market value for two post-season runs and then we’re able to just let him walk when he was ready to sign his big contract. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a great role player for the Rangers but it does reduce his inherent value. On his old deal he was a market anomaly - a “moneyball” player if you will. On his next deal he’s just a good albeit not inexpensive role player.

The real question in determining Lehkonen’s value past this year is what his new contract will look like. I think he can potentially grab a late 1st regardless - I’d much rather throw that pick at him than renting Chiarot if I’m a team that isn’t desperate for defensive help. But I am interested in what Lehk’s camp is going to be asking for after a career year.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
True but look how well it worked for Tampa when they traded for Goodrow
There's a few differences in comparing Goodrow and Lehkonen though. Goodrow had a remaining year on his deal, where Lehkonen's is expiring. Not to mention Goodrow was making under $1M, while Lehkonen is over 2M (and whatever he signs for this offseason will likely be over 2M), so Tampa got an extra year of the cap benefits as well. Finally, it took Goodrow AND a 3rd round pick to get the 1st in return. He also had spent time playing some center in San Jose and I think Lehkonen is strictly a winger.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Meanwhile Chicago's beat guy at TA is suggesting Kubalik could be had for a third.

Toffoli had two additional years of term and he barely returned a 1st. The ask just doesn't compute.
Toffoli returned a 1st plus Prospect plus pick - how is that barely a 1st? Toffoli returned a 1st plus.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
There's a few differences in comparing Goodrow and Lehkonen though. Goodrow had a remaining year on his deal, where Lehkonen's is expiring. Not to mention Goodrow was making under $1M, while Lehkonen is over 2M (and whatever he signs for this offseason will likely be over 2M), so Tampa got an extra year of the cap benefits as well. Finally, it took Goodrow AND a 3rd round pick to get the 1st in return. He also had spent time playing some center in San Jose and I think Lehkonen is strictly a winger.

Correct on everything, the Lehkonene price more so seems the Habs like him and aren't actually shopping him. Rather teams are like we want that guy and the Habs replied well we like him and 6 other teams have called so we want a 1st+ if not screw off.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
He's a hard-working guy and I'd like my habs to keep him, but I feel like player of his caliber have rarely been traded for 1st round picks, no ? Anyway, I feel like we should get rid of the dead wood before guys like him.
If we don't get 1st round pick, we simply keep him. It's not like Lehkonen is bad with big contract that need to be get rid of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad