LeBrun: Price for Lehkonen is at least a 1st round pick, lots of teams interested

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
It's probably 'the price' since many offers were low balling, so pretty much a 'Hey guys, keep you shitty offers to yourselves'.

I'd personally keep Lek, I wouldn't be super excited by a late 1st for him. Better sign him right away.

Reactions: Drive425

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
The chance of getting a better player than Lehkonen are not that high.

Here are the results of the players selected in the last ten picks of the first round between 2005 and 2015 compared to Lehkonen.

50% of players selected between 20th and 30th picks have played fewer games than Lehkonen.
60% made less points.

60% have palyed fewer games
70% made less points.

50% have palyed fewer games
60% made less points.

60% made less points.

70% have palyed fewer games
80% made less points.

40% have palyed fewer games
50% made less points.

70% made less points.

50% have palyed fewer games
80% made less points.

2013 (Lehkonen Draft)
80% have palyed fewer games
60% made less points.

80% have palyed fewer games
50% made less points.

90% have palyed fewer games
70% made less points.

In reality, what is most likely to happen between the 25th and 32th picks it's 2 who will never play NHL, 2 will be good AHL/ barely Fourth liner NHL like Josh Ho-Sang, 2 can be as good as Lehkonen and 2 can be better than Lehkonen. Late first round pick are over rated.
Exactly! Why trade a quality forward reaching his prime for a big maybe or nothing at all! you do that for a rental not an RFA.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I see a lot a people replying "hard pass" and this is fine. It is also fine for MTL to ask a 1st in return. Anything lower then this would pointless for MTL. So the odds of Lehkonen moving are very low. People can argue until they turn blue that this is too much or too little.... bottom line here will be not what the fans thinks but what are the need of the other NHL team are and if they are ok paying that price. Time will tell and nothing said here will change that lol

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Every team wants to bolster their 3rd line come playoff time. 1st round has been used for this purpose in the past. Lehkonen is a perfect player for the 3rd line. I am not sure why people keep saying Lehkonen will not get a 1st. If the Habs don't get a 1st or a very good prospect then they simply stay put and keep Lehkonen.

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
... if Montreal trades Lehkonen, it will be for no less than a 1st round pick.

I hope we don't trade him. A lousy late first small chance they make it. We already have an extra late first anyway. Get the player in the range we want. Might get another late first if we do trade Chiarot. Keep Lehkonen!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see a lot a people replying "hard pass" and this is fine. It is also fine for MTL to ask a 1st in return. Anything lower then this would pointless for MTL. So the odds of Lehkonen moving are very low. People can argue until they turn blue that this is too much or too little.... bottom line here will be not what the fans thinks but what are the need of the other NHL team are and if they are ok paying that price. Time will tell and nothing said here will change that lol

Well said. Explains it pretty accurately

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
tacos-de.gif

"Lots of teams interested"

Habs: "1st round pick"
Everyone: "Yea we aren't interested anymore".
That’s the GM’s game plan if Arturri stays great he’s still very serviceable to Hab’s but if a team really wants him they’ll have to overpay… very shrewd management if you ask me

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I take Lehkonen in the playoff over a top forward like Toffoli. The guy is a baller and he is very valuable for his consistency and defensive awareness. I would 100% target him if I was a contender but what do I know.

Reactions: WinterLion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Even for a 1st i keep him, it'll be a late first, i'd rather sign him long term for cheap. Lehkonen himself a 2nd rounder, he's still very young and he's one of the best defensive wingers in the league.

1st + solid prospect is a different story tho. He's the type of player you add to your core at a team friendly deal for 5-6 years, that's way too valuable. He's also a leader, great work ethic/team player.

I'd rather trade Anderson tbh.
Late first round pick are the very least 3 to 4 years away from contributing. Lehkonen is in his prime and should stay there for 5 to 6 years. I would also rather keep him if they don't get proper value on the trading front. Re-sign him for 4 years and build a team around him.

Reactions: Runner77

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I probably wouldn't move Lehkonen for less than a 1st either, just because he is still under team control and he's probably a good guy to have on the team. I can't see anyone paying that price for him though. That said, I couldn't see a team paying a 1st for Goodrow either and Tampa did, so who knows.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Hes playing the best hockey of his career. Value will never be higher than what it is now. Would rather trade him than sign him for too many years.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Hes playing the best hockey of his career. Value will never be higher than what it is now. Would rather trade him than sign him for too many years.
I'd rather sign him for 4 or 5 years than trade him for less than full value, which would be a 1st and a prospect, or a high-end prospect and a 2nd.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
I’m kind of surprised so many people seem shocked that this is MTL’s asking price… of course it’s a bit high but that’s how they should start negotiations. He’s been fantastic this year, and they can always just re-sign him. See if you can find a deal you like and if you can’t then keep the player, pretty simple stuff.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
The reality is of the 10 last selections in the first round, only a small few will have a better career than Lehkonen, and you get Lehkonen in his prime right now.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How did Toffoli "barely return a 1st?" He got a first. And he got a prospect picked in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft. And he got a 5th.

What are you talking about?
I've already responded to this. Read the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad