Series Talk: PREVIEW - First Round matchup vs T.O. - "Centre of the Universe"

What will be the outcome of the Boston/Toronto series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
It's certainly going to be a tough match up.

However it's a bit of a repeat of last year in terms of the scenario and what the laffs are lacking in their lineup- A steady defense and strong goaltending.

The laffs are working Freddie A like a dog right now. He looked exhausted last night IMO against the Flyers. No doubt they're still pushing for home ice in the first round but they're working this guy hard and I believe it was also reported he hasn't been totally healthy all season. Gardiner is also injured and is week to week.

The B's on the other hand need to get some bodies back on the back end. Which Krug returned last night. But they could still use Killer and Gryz to knock Kampfer and Clifton out of the lineup. They also need to get their lines settled a bit and get some chemistry going.

At least they have options though rather then relying on one line to carry them home.

Reactions: lopey

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Playoffs are a new season. Leafs have a ton of weapons. If they get good goaltending then things could be tight. I like the B's chances, but no way will I get cocky when I know the reffing will not be in the B's favor, the B's still have not proven to have a bottom 6 that can score consistently, and the Leafs have a smart coach.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
We've all heard it a million times but it is the truth- defense & goaltending win championships. I like ours a lot more than theirs. Last year the Leafs rode Anderson into the ground and I don't see that situation being any different this year. He's going to be worn down. Plus there is nobody on the Leafs back end that I would take over ours (yes, including #47, the devil you know & all that).

As for the Leafs' forwards? Other than Tavares none of them really scares me. Nylander's been a black hole since holding out for that big contract.

Yes the Leafs will give us a fight but the Bruins will win the series if they play their game & not Toronto's.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This would be as good a place as any to have some respectful banter between the two fan bases. I wonder how long it lasts before the wheels fall off ...

I too enjoy listening to Toronto radio especially Overdrive. There's usually some Bruin talk everyday and the concern over the Bruins is very real. Otherwise it's generally an enjoyable listen. The show is easily better than what Felger & Mazz bring.

If you are serious about that sure.
Every team has it's issues. I'm sure Bruin fans have their list of things they would like addressed.
I think the list of thing the Leafs need to address is greater than the list Boston has.

I'm a Leaf fan not in Toronto and work in an office with a couple of Boston fans so we discuss this often.

Sometimes on the Leaf board there is just no telling people what the problems are. They don't want to listen, everything is awesome.

In a 7 game series (Boston home ice), I give the win to the Bruins. First of all your core is more battle tested. I love the fact that you have an identity while ours remains what?

The Leafs have too many white collar skill guys. The forecheck and backcheck are an issue. We get killed trying to stop the opposition cycle. They would rather use their sticks in 50/50 battles than make contact and battle. We will not get consistently behind your D like Tampa did in the series last year. Aggression is an issue. Far too passive at times.

That's my honest assessment. That's why I think the Bruins will win the series. I hope not (sorry guys) but that's what I see.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
We've all heard it a million times but it is the truth- defense & goaltending win championships. I like ours a lot more than theirs. Last year the Leafs rode Anderson into the ground and I don't see that situation being any different this year. He's going to be worn down. Plus there is nobody on the Leafs back end that I would take over ours (yes, including #47, the devil you know & all that).

As for the Leafs' forwards? Other than Tavares none of them really scares me. Nylander's been a black hole since holding out for that big contract.

Yes the Leafs will give us a fight but the Bruins will win the series if they play their game & not Toronto's.
That's really it right there.

Don't try and play their game which is pretty much summed up as rack up the scoreboard and dont worry about defense :laugh:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I really feel the Bruins should end this in no more than 6 games.

The Bruins can exploit the Leafs defense, Anderson is very beatable. The leafs offense is their bread and butter, but the Bruins is better and Bergeron can shut-down anyone and still be able to put up points.
Add in Chara ability to shut-down Matthews and also Carlo shut-down capabilities. Makes this a series I should really be able to enjoy:crossfing

Injuries aside and unless Anderson stands on his head and wins the series for the Leafs, Bruins win in six.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Key to this series will be what I always believe it is vs the Leafs.

1-Cut down their speed through the neutral zone by not allowing their D time to make that first pass or allow the Leafs easy out`s of their zone.

2- Forecheck with a purpose, hardly a shock here, even when healthy, their D very prone to making mistakes in their own zone, get a cycle going and they look like a Bantam team

3- MUST cash in on the PP

4- Put EVERYTHING on net, shoot from everywhere and get traffic in front, yep, the old cliche standby but it works, make life miserable for Andersson

Not a chance am I or will I take the Leafs lightly, an absolute ton of fire power on that roster that can burn you and in a hurry. Really hoping fans here aren`t looking ahead to a B`s/Bolts series because this one is no gimmie.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor

Nylander has 10 points in his last 10 games driving one of the hottest lines in the sport.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Marner is a force. That kid is a dynamic player and will absolutely be a factor

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
This is going to be a war of a series. Do not write off Toronto just because we have had success against them. Sound like Hab fans.

Like most hockey series with relatively close match ups this one will come down to limiting mistakes and timely penalties. Like some have mentioned, just play our game and play hard!

Best time of the year, can't wait to watch.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto's a good team. Well, they're more a team with really good players on it, and The Bruins will have to be focused.
A few thoughts:

Forecheck. Don't have to kill guys, just make life miserable for their defensemen and make them have to battle down low.
Cycle. Toronto is weak agains the cycle game. Make T.O. expend their energy trying to get the puck out of the zone.
Don't over-extend in the offensive zone. The forwards need to be backing up the d when they pinch in. Leafs have a quick strike offence and over-committing to the attack is something The Bruins can be vulnerable at.
To go along with the last point. Some of their forwards fly the zone early and they love the stretch pass so the d and centres need to be aware. If they stay structured those passes go for icings and or turnovers and has them back on their heels as the gap control completely disappears, but it only takes one or two connections a game for them to score.
Safe plays coming out of the zone. Toronto doesn't really have a very good forecheck but they are good above the circles. Just don't want the d-men trying to do too much coming out of their zone.

Nothing I've seen from Toronto over the last two seasons makes me think they can match Boston's intensity level - but The Bruins need to keep at it constantly. They let them hang around in the series last year because they started to look nonchalant and they can't afford to do that this time around.

Keep a close eye on the 4th line. If they're playing well and clicking and can handle a couple of hard-working shifts against either Matthews or Tavares then the other lines can tilt the ice. If they're not working well then they have to be managed because those guys in Toronto can make teams pay.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If you are serious about that sure.
Every team has it's issues. I'm sure Bruin fans have their list of things they would like addressed.
I think the list of thing the Leafs need to address is greater than the list Boston has.

I'm a Leaf fan not in Toronto and work in an office with a couple of Boston fans so we discuss this often.

Sometimes on the Leaf board there is just no telling people what the problems are. They don't want to listen, everything is awesome.

In a 7 game series (Boston home ice), I give the win to the Bruins. First of all your core is more battle tested. I love the fact that you have an identity while ours remains what?

The Leafs have too many white collar skill guys. The forecheck and backcheck are an issue. We get killed trying to stop the opposition cycle. They would rather use their sticks in 50/50 battles than make contact and battle. We will not get consistently behind your D like Tampa did in the series last year. Aggression is an issue. Far too passive at times.

That's my honest assessment. That's why I think the Bruins will win the series. I hope not (sorry guys) but that's what I see.

I've seen the stick-check problem quite a bit with Toronto but can never tell if it's the players or Babcock's influence as The Wings were infamous for that kinda stick-work, obstruction, interference when he was there - knowing that refs were only going to call so many ticky-tack penalties per game.

The way you guys stretch the ice can really expose other teams and break-up their structure but it really isn't conducive to a heavy forecheck. Guys also have to skate their asses off playing The Leafs style of game which might not leave as much energy for those one-on-one board battles and whatnot.

Really interested to see which Matthews shows up for the series. And which Andersson.
Is there any word on Gardiner?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Don’t love the matchup. Last year our first line went off and it still went 7. This year we lose that big advantage they have a top line to match ours. Rask should be a big edge but he hasn’t been 2 previous series vs them at all. Edge on D. Problem is we suck when we get up in a playoff series everyone drops their game and there is no killer instinct. Leadership is suspect Charas a fine regular season captain but the oldest guy in the league has been breaking down post season regularly. But he took a discount so we don’t get to see a Bergeron led team for at least 2 more playoffs by when he’ll officially be old.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I've seen the stick-check problem quite a bit with Toronto but can never tell if it's the players or Babcock's influence as The Wings were infamous for that kinda stick-work, obstruction, interference when he was there - knowing that refs were only going to call so many ticky-tack penalties per game.

The way you guys stretch the ice can really expose other teams and break-up their structure but it really isn't conducive to a heavy forecheck. Guys also have to skate their asses off playing The Leafs style of game which might not leave as much energy for those one-on-one board battles and whatnot.

Really interested to see which Matthews shows up for the series. And which Andersson.
Is there any word on Gardiner?
Matthews and Nylander both need to show up for the series.
There is a reason Hyman is one of the better playoff performers. He has the aggressive nature. Skill without grit/heart/whatever gets beat.

The team is hopeful Gardiner will be ready by the playoffs. Dermott should be back soon as well.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
What are the Leafs defense ranking and pairings? I'm pretty sure Rielly is clear-cut #1 and Muzzin is #2. No clue beyond that. I'm starting to get hyped up for this inevitable matchup.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
What are the Leafs defense ranking and pairings? I'm pretty sure Rielly is clear-cut #1 and Muzzin is #2. No clue beyond that. I'm starting to get hyped up for this inevitable matchup.

They traded for Muzzin to be their number two but recently he hasn't played like it, its an area where the Bruins can diffidently exploit as the Leafs rely on Hainsey an awful lot to be their shut-down guy.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Don’t love the matchup. Last year our first line went off and it still went 7. This year we lose that big advantage they have a top line to match ours. Rask should be a big edge but he hasn’t been 2 previous series vs them at all. Edge on D. Problem is we suck when we get up in a playoff series everyone drops their game and there is no killer instinct. Leadership is suspect Charas a fine regular season captain but the oldest guy in the league has been breaking down post season regularly. But he took a discount so we don’t get to see a Bergeron led team for at least 2 more playoffs by when he’ll officially be old.

What is even remotely suspect about Chara’s leadership? Ask Bergeron if he is upset that Chara signed for another year after last night where he challenged the entire Rangers team after the hit on Bergeron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad