Preventing the Run

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It occurs to me that we have seen more contact against Carey Price in the past two games than we saw in the previous 20 or so. Fla. clearly had a bug up their *** but the Caps were playing hard for keeps.
Can we prevent a third incident in three years?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I read the title as "preventing the runs" at first and thought it was about something completely different! :laugh:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The habs are soft unfortunately. That's a big reason why I think Tinordi and McCarron will be extremely valuable for the habs in the next few years.

The habs really need to show their teeth when players get close to Price. Clearing the net will have to be a priority. I think MT needs to send the team a message. I'm sure the guys already realize that keeping Price healthy is top priority but MT will need to keep reminding them.

The sad truth though is that if a team wants to run a goalie, their is very little stopping them and very little consequence if you look at the big picture. So the player gets suspended for a few games? The other teams can essentially just tell their 4th liners to do it and that is that. It is also nearly impossible to stop a guy skating at full speed towards your goalie.

The league always talks about how it is trying to protect its players so if this becomes a common occurrence, the league should really step in.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
start running other teams goalies.its allowed. and smart teams will exploit it.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
This is where nasty big ******** come in handy. I would be less inclined to bump Price if Chara was around. Or Byfugly (I can't spell his name!)

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
We should send the weak side linebacker on a blitz and keep a spy on the mobile QB. Choose a 4-3 defensive formation to prevent the run.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I read the title as "preventing the runs" at first and thought it was about something completely different! :laugh:
Don't drink cheap beer.
Don't eat bean burritos with beer.
If you do drink cheap beer, eat a pound of cheese before drinking.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It's a bit late now, nothing can be done about it.

And it has nothing do to with who is or who isn't on our roster.

Our over-reliance on Price make him a target, anyone with half a brain will figure that out: If you want to beat the Habs, start by targeting Price. No team facing us will want Price to be "comfortable" in front of his net.

This is a single point of failure, they will exploit it.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
The D is especially soft - Gilbert and Petry leading the way. Beaulieu, Subban and even Markov can hold their own but they are still mainly offensive defensemen not bruisers.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This is where nasty big ******** come in handy. I would be less inclined to bump Price if Chara was around. Or Byfugly (I can't spell his name!)

Carey Price had a relatively calm regular season last year. He had a calm playoff series against the Bolts and even the Bruins.

We had the nasty big ****** on the team. Douglas Murray. There were relatively few scrums in front of Price with Murray dressed.

Murray gets press boxed against the Rangers. Price immediately gets run by the Ranger dick and NO ONE does a damn thing about it.

I am sure Las Vegas will have a line as to how many games it will take before Price is taken out. The Habs have shown no indication that they are willing to fight anyone who touches Price. Even the goon Kopecky :)sarcasm:) took a run at Price with zero retribution.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
start running other teams goalies.its allowed. and smart teams will exploit it.

Exactly.

The biggest mistake the Habs made last season was not running Lundqvist immediately and often after what Kreider did.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Ah yes, the legend of Douglas Murray.

He didn't play against the Bolts.
He did play 3 games against the Bs, we lost 2 of these 3 games, Murray was ****ing pylon at best.

But whatever, carry on. :laugh:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Ah yes, the legend of Douglas Murray.

He didn't play against the Bolts.
He did play 3 games against the Bs, we lost 2 of these 3 games, Murray was ****ing pylon at best.

But whatever, carry on. :laugh:

I await your posts if Carey gets run and is knocked out of an upcoming playoff series.

Remember two seasons ago when Lucic slashed Carey? Remember how many times Lucic even laid a hand, much less a stick, on Carey Price last season?

You carry on my "turn the other cheek" friend.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I remember Lucic stabbing Emelin in the nuts and threatening to kill Dale Weise, so I would guess he didn't care about Murray hypothetical retaliation on at least 2 occasions.

But let's just presume he didn't touch Price because of Murray. Because, why not...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Carey Price had a relatively calm regular season last year. He had a calm playoff series against the Bolts and even the Bruins.

We had the nasty big ****** on the team. Douglas Murray. There were relatively few scrums in front of Price with Murray dressed.

Murray gets press boxed against the Rangers. Price immediately gets run by the Ranger dick and NO ONE does a damn thing about it.

I am sure Las Vegas will have a line as to how many games it will take before Price is taken out. The Habs have shown no indication that they are willing to fight anyone who touches Price. Even the goon Kopecky :)sarcasm:) took a run at Price with zero retribution.

The Kopecky rub out was what got me going in the first place.
There was a time when that type of incident particularly on a star player resulted in a bench clearing brawl.. .
This is a huge problem for us Carey is our Star and the League doesn't seem equipped to deal with a blatant run at a goalie. The win at all costs mentality will probably result in another attempt at some point this year. Sacrificing a fourth liner to win a series seems like a good trade off...
I think that we need to make our opposition aware in no uncertain terms before the puck is dropped that a hint of a run at our goaler will result in Greg Pateryn becoming a winger or a DSP loosing an edge.
Most teams can't afford their number ones going down...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I Don't like This Team. Here's Why.

They don't deserve to wear those colors and that uniform.

I'm ashamed by them.

The way they are so soft and they did next to nothing to protect Price against the Panthers, they are gutless. They are the Worst bunch of wusses and no character guys to ever wore the Habs uniform.

Even the Florida PBP was wondering why our guys were not protecting Price more.

I blame the Players and the Coaches.

And they better get Tinordi for the playoffs.

Rant over.

void

Jan 5, 2006
^^^^^

Seems like a lot of people (myself included) are having a hard time cheering for the Habs this year. I never in my life felt this negative about the Habs... not even when they were one of the worst teams in the league. Very strange.

Last edited:

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
There is one solution, which I think would put pressure on the league to act, which is for Price to take matters into his own hands. I would suggest either clotheslining or elbowing an incoming skater, or taking numbers, then later delivering a nice swift two handed slash to the back of the legs, or a spear to the junk. Force the league to suspend him, although he would probably get some leeway. It's going to take that sort of sacrifice to get any change. Of course, would be better in the regular season. Skaters would know they're going to get punished getting too close.

68*

You can't add one or two players and hope it's gonna change something. You have to change this whole organization's philosophy. When players get traded here they stop being tough or dirty. Zac Rinaldo would become a saint if he got traded here.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
nothing is gonna stop a guy from running your goalie. its wishful thinking to think that having a tough guy in your lineup to 'punish' the other guys is gonna change anything, that line of thinking is a relic of the past. at best, you'll get offsetting minors if the guy illegally ran your goalie, at worst, the other team will get a powerplay.

the only other solution is to try to box price in so they don't get to him. but that doesn't always work (and for ****'s sake don't cross check guys into price, im looking at you subban), and the other solution is to run their goalie. and we have gallagher, who gets the snot beat out of him every other game and he still runs goalies from time to time.

take away the instigator, or start enforcing rules to protect goalies. take your pick

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You pick out Subban, but the truth is most Dmen are equally culpable. Last game it was Markov.

I do agree that the league is more concerned with embellishing on legitimate fouls than it is in protecting the goalies from flagrant attacks in the paint. Another way for Bettman to achieve parity, I guess.

The sooner this ******** is usurped the better for the league. I figure he'll give a franchise to Mexico before another in Canada.

Edit: never thought that bhuttt pllug would be censored. It's just so appropriately descriptive.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
^^^^^

Seems like a lot of people (myself included) are having a hard time cheering for the Habs this year. I never in my life felt this negative about the Habs... not even when they were one of the worst teams in the league. Very strange.

It's a weird vibe, isn't it. You could even feel it in the stands at the Bell Center. Like a lot of Habs' fan have fallen out of love for the Habs. They somehow managed to finally broke the link after years of losing or the fans keep cheering like fools no matter what and filling the stands.

It's the first time in years that have not watched MANY Habs games, just deciding to do other things. And I don't mind if I miss games. MG and Therrien have transformed the Habs into a unlikable group of geeks.

They say that this group are united and like each other but I believe none of it. Maybe they like each other but it's like hippies that love threes. Scratch that, hippies would fight to the death for a three, while the Habs let Price be run over.

I'm starting to hate everybody on that roster except Price and Gally. There's no damn passion.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
^^^^^

Very strange indeed, when fans put personal preferences ahead of team success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad