Post-Game Talk: Pretenders get a shutout victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
You know another former Leaf player we said the same about? Frederick Modin :) couldn’t hit the net if his life depended on it and became a fifty plus goal scorer with the Lightning and won a Stanley cup. I think Kappy can come around a little. He will never be a 30 goal scorer but his speed makes him elite, good forchecker too. If Nylander comes back where do you put him though? You have Mariner, Nylander, Kapp, Brown.....
But Modin always had an exceptionally powerful shot, a skill set to start with. There's nothing remarkable about Hyman's hands (assuming we're talking about the same player).

I have a lot of hope for Kapanen too, he just creates so many chances with his speed.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
OK, he has hands of stone in close, but last year he went 15g, 25 assists 40 points with very little PP time
Nylander was what 20/41/61 points with quality PP time. Is 5 more goals, 15 more assists worth 5 m more?
It's about who drives the results. But I agree with your point about Hyman. I've said it before, his production compared well to most other guys in similar situations, and that includes names like TJ Oshie. He's clearly a complementary player on his line, but it's not like he is a bad one.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I'm starting to think Babcock having the last change at home might actually not be a good thing.
When we play on the road and don't have this luxury, He needs to roll 4 lines and cant chase matchups and we look more fluid/functional.
At home we look really slow and passive whereas on the road we look very fast and aggressive.

Great games by Rielly, Marner and Tavares.

Kapanen had a great game also I thought. This guy should never come anywhere close to a 4th line ever again.

Very well played game by the Leafs.
Yup. I've been saying this for about a year.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kapanen has great speed good hockey sense but his ability to finish is not the greatest. This is what will keep him from being a top line player. If he starts burying more than that will change.

he's scoring at a 35gl pace.....with zero PP time.

Reactions: stickty111

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yup. I've been saying this for about a year.

Yea, I saying maybe the Leafs would be better if Babcock was coaching during the day, but wasn't coaching behind the bench on game night. At least this year he hasn't been as stupid crazy with his line match ups....which he doesn't do that well anyways.

One improvement he did this year was having Reilly playing the first part of the PP, Comes back with Gardiner, and if a goal hasn't been scored he can come back with the their best dman pair of Reilly and Hainsey when the teams are back at full strength.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully this game gets the Leafs jump started again as it was the Pens that last time that sent them into their last tailspin.

Leafs bottom 6 forwards are still a black hole on the season and that is going to need to change in order for Leafs to show consistency on the ice in terms of W and Ls.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hopefully this game gets the Leafs jump started again as it was the Pens that last time that sent them into their last tailspin.

Leafs bottom 6 forwards are still a black hole on the season and that is going to need to change in order for Leafs to show consistency on the ice in terms of W and Ls.

I suggest you can it Mess and just enjoy this one. I know I'm going to bask in the glory of this wonderful game until Tuesday night. Hopefully we score a goal in the first 40 minutes of that one so I don't have to hear any more about our record setting scoring futility. :laugh::laugh:

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
he's scoring at a 35gl pace.....with zero PP time.
I don’t make those extrapolations, unless there are a half dozen games to go in a year. Mathews would have had a 100 goals this year based on a few games. That being said, he needs to work on his game in close to the goalie. I like him but I think there is more potential there.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada

You know. The way the top two lines were playing in the beginning there was no need to press, just keep the puck out of the net. Ever since Mathews went down Kadri and his line are picking up steam. I think, like the guys in the booth, people get too hard on players and lines. We lost our top player and we are sitting a point out of first place, that is the reason you get a guy like Tavares. I think we can be fine. Team just has to break out of the neutral zone when teams take it away. I like our game, even the last couple we lost. Couple goals go in instead of posts and people would have a different perspective.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm starting to think Babcock having the last change at home might actually not be a good thing.
When we play on the road and don't have this luxury, He needs to roll 4 lines and cant chase matchups and we look more fluid/functional.
At home we look really slow and passive whereas on the road we look very fast and aggressive.

Great games by Rielly, Marner and Tavares.

Kapanen had a great game also I thought. This guy should never come anywhere close to a 4th line ever again.

Very well played game by the Leafs.

Part of me is seriously starting to think part of our problem is the ice at the SBA/ACC. We’re all about speed and crisp passing and that ice makes all of that harder.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Part of me is seriously starting to think part of our problem is the ice at the SBA/ACC. We’re all about speed and crisp passing and that ice makes all of that harder.

I’ve noticed that the puck bounces a lot there. What is the problem? I thought at one time the ice was good there? Maybe in a month when the ground cools it will get better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don’t make those extrapolations, unless there are a half dozen games to go in a year. Mathews would have had a 100 goals this year based on a few games. That being said, he needs to work on his game in close to the goalie. I like him but I think there is more potential there.

forget the extrapolation then.

you said he needs to finish better but he's scored 6 goals in 14gms with no PP time.

Reactions: stickty111

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Still blows my mind how Kapanen gets no PP time. Wonder if they are trying to slow down his production for his next contract? Not that I agree with that but I don't see any other reason why he shouldn't be getting some time out there.

Zaitsev was good yesterday but I’m still not sold on him and his contract. I was critical of Marleau recently and he played much better as well, hopefully he could get a little hot streak going. Ennis played his heart out, it's almost like he knew if he didn't perform it could have been his last. Oh yea and Andy was solid again. Great game.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Still blows my mind how Kapanen gets no PP time. Wonder if they are trying to slow down his production for his next contract? Not that I agree with that but I don't see any other reason why he shouldn't be getting some time out there.

Zaitsev was good yesterday but I’m still not sold on him and his contract. I was critical of Marleau recently and he played much better as well, hopefully he could get a little hot streak going. Ennis played his heart out, it's almost like he knew if he didn't perform it could have been his last. Oh yea and Andy was solid again. Great game.
He should be getting PP time. He's got to replace Leivo or Ennis in those spots which I figure shouldn't be too hard.
Maybe it's because he's one of our PK guys. Hyman is in there cause of injuries cause he usually relies on him for the PK too.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I’ve noticed that the puck bounces a lot there. What is the problem? I thought at one time the ice was good there? Maybe in a month when the ground cools it will get better.

We need our own arena, the concerts were bad enough but the Raptors make it worse. That or we need to find a way to cover and not remove the ice.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
He should be getting PP time. He's got to replace Leivo or Ennis in those spots which I figure shouldn't be too hard.
Maybe it's because he's one of our PK guys. Hyman is in there cause of injuries cause he usually relies on him for the PK too.
I'm a fan of Leivo but agree with Ennis for sure. No reason why Ennis should be out there over Kap.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I agree that Kapanen looks great. He was noticeable all night. Ignoring the 2 apples... he also had the breakway, the scoring chance on the Kadri 2-1, catching up to Hyman to open up the 2-1 that created the fifth goal. I noticed that he's stronger on his edges now... he's not falling nearly as much when he tries to start and stop/change direction. That is what confidence will do for you I guess.

Hoping he keeps it up.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I thought Oz played well...
I though he was good in few moments (leaving the zone with the puck when Pittsburgh presses on the opposite side, two good pinches, stapling his player to the board few times). However, he had couple of very bad moments (got flat footed and took a penalty, one or two very dangerous giveaways when not even pressured that much, throwing pack away facing boards).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad