Speculation: Pretend you are the GM!

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
A bit premature. Obvious first step is sign Kruger. I'm not sure who's still available as a FA, but you sign the best FA or 2 available this year.

Next year you acquire the best FA available considering you have at least 10.5M in cap space. You also don't have to worry about not having money to resign Seabs. I'd go after someone like Stamkos for example.

This is without looking at any FA's, so I don't know who's available.

Church of Toews*

Well if Dano, Panarin and Teuvo pan out/take the next step in their careers the 10 million in space +Bickell's contract running its course (we aren't forced to trade him if Kane is terminated) + the rise in the cap we can likely resign all 3 of them when their ELC's are done so that would be nice.

Edit: forgot about signing Seabrook and Kruger might be space to accommodate a minor raise for both of them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

LandofLincoln*

Tampa bay will have to pay Stamkos and Kucherov could be ripe to poach plus we have a few Russians so the transition would make sense.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
I would just fill out the roster this year and let Dano, Teravainen, and Panarin develop, then trade Versteeg for a pick at the deadline. The year after, contend with this roster:
https://hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/26858

Explanation in description.

Why would you not get an allstar defenseman too? Since all that cap space is there. Bye rundblad. And a rookie on the top line is beyond far fetched. Pickup a top line winger.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Pray it isn't true. And if it is, pray Teravainen turns into half the offensive dynamo Kane was.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I really hate this thread. It looks bad, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If he gets convicted, or ends up buying silence after some really nasty details come out, let's revisit this idea then.

Everyone deserves to be innocent until proven guilty.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Why would you not get an allstar defenseman too? Since all that cap space is there. Bye rundblad. And a rookie on the top line is beyond far fetched. Pickup a top line winger.
This is a year from now, Teuvo would not be a rookie. Don't see why you need an all-star Dman with Keith, Seabs, Hammer, and TVR/Daley in the top 4. Then you've got a 3rd pair of Daley/TVR and Gilbert/Pokka. That's a pretty strong D.

That also allows the Hawks to sign Ladd and Nielsen. That gives them 3 very strong scoring lines and a great 4th line. It also leaves them with the cap flexibility to re-sign TT, Dano, and Panarin the next year.

That roster is right to the cap with this year's ceiling, so it's possible that it increases by a couple million and instead of Gilbert you have around 4.5 to spend on a Dman, but probably not for more than one year.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
This is a year from now, Teuvo would not be a rookie. Don't see why you need an all-star Dman with Keith, Seabs, Hammer, and TVR/Daley in the top 4. Then you've got a 3rd pair of Daley/TVR and Gilbert/Pokka. That's a pretty strong D.

That also allows the Hawks to sign Ladd and Nielsen. That gives them 3 very strong scoring lines and a great 4th line. It also leaves them with the cap flexibility to re-sign TT, Dano, and Panarin the next year.

That roster is right to the cap with this year's ceiling, so it's possible that it increases by a couple million and instead of Gilbert you have around 4.5 to spend on a Dman, but probably not for more than one year.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. Your roster makes much more sense.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
I really hate this thread. It looks bad, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If he gets convicted, or ends up buying silence after some really nasty details come out, let's revisit this idea then.

Everyone deserves to be innocent until proven guilty.

You have to be insane to think he has a chance of being convicted. He had his cup day today. Yes, they are going to give a future convicted rapist his cup day...

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Just about threw up my lunch at the thought of 88 getting his contract terminated.

On the other hand, unless some more information comes out that looks REALLY bad for Kane, I don't see a scenario where that's going to happen.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Just about threw up my lunch at the thought of 88 getting his contract terminated.

On the other hand, unless some more information comes out that looks REALLY bad for Kane, I don't see a scenario where that's going to happen.

I'm still thinking about the rape kit test...would be a lot for a woman to go through if she was just making the whole thing up.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I'm still thinking about the rape kit test...would be a lot for a woman to go through if she was just making the whole thing up.

Also could stand to make alot of money.

There's plenty of other factors that go in to cases like this. Way more than just the rape kit. Unless the security camera/text messages reveal something absolutely devastating to Kanes case, my gut tells me this case is going to get settled out of court, and no one is going to know the truth of what happened, ever. Hush money goes a long way. And even in that circumstance, Kane returns to play in the indian head. If he never gets convicted of anything, that doesnt force the Hawks hand to terminate his contract.

Nameless

Jun 17, 2015
Oakville
I probably try to lure away Kucherov. Re-sign Seabrook, Teravainen, Dano, Panarin. Get rid of Bickell.

Panarin-Toews-Hossa
Dano-Anisimov-Kucherov
Versteeg-Teravainen-Hartman
Danault-Kruger-Shaw

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Daley
Pokka-TvR

Crawford
Darling

geofflandry

Aug 29, 2010
I am trying not to think about this whole ordeal but find my self searching for new info on twitter every 30 mins........if worse comes to worse maybe explore trading Seabrook for a younger D-man and go on a minor rebuild as without Kane I don't think this team will be able to win a cup for a couple years

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'd probably try to see if I could pry Buff out of Winnipeg with a 1st or decent prospect. The guy will be a UFA after this year (thus shouldn't cost us much to get), is familiar with the organization, and fills a glaring hole on defense.

I'd then resign Kruger for 4 years and try to extend Seabs and Buff.

Our offense will take an obvious hit, but Panarin, Teravainen, and Dano would be given a better chance at succeeding. Our team defense, on the other hand, would rival last year's team (who happened to tie with Montreal for fewest goals against).

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If... a big if... worst come to worst and we lose the player Kane:

Sign Krüger to a longer term contract
Sign UFA Ehrhoff or Meszaros
Sign UFA Havlat, Fleischmann, Glenncross or Tlusty

save some Cap for the future - resign Seabrook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad