Pressure on the young ones...

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I understand its the second year in a three year rebuild..Silf,Zibby,Wier,Da Costa,Boro,Benoit are being asked to do too much..Is it really good for their development if the team starts losing? Even players like Condra,Greening,Regin and Turris hell even Karlsson playing 30+ mins is not good....Murray has got to do something..

How do you know how much they are being asked to do by by the coaching staff?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I understand its the second year in a three year rebuild..Silf,Zibby,Wier,Da Costa,Boro,Benoit are being asked to do too much..Is it really good for their development if the team starts losing? Even players like Condra,Greening,Regin and Turris hell even Karlsson playing 30+ mins is not good....Murray has got to do something..

They've had almost everything go their way the past few seasons. One season of adversity won't hurt them. Besides, I'm confident in MacLean's ability to engage with the kids and keep them motivated - even when the club is struggling. With that in mind, I still am in favour of adding another depth defenceman to allow some flexibility with sending Benoit/Boro/Wiercioch to Bingo. With Cowen out for the year, we have to have two of those three guys up all season to have 7 defencemen on the NHL roster.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Although to much pressure can be a bad thing, I believe that we are in a nice place where there is the correct amount of moderate pressure to help the kids grow.

Lets face it we arn't expected to be a team that tops the conference but rather fights for a lower seed in the playoffs. The team has been able to instill an underdog mentality carrying from last season and looks to be really working as a unit rather then individuals. This team atmosphere takes pressure off a lot of the younger players as the group intigrates our new callups.

That being said there will be bumps along the way as the players learn the ropes and fight with a condensed schedule, but as a whole it is to great benefit to Ottawa, now and in the future, to have our prospects getting NHL icetime to see if they can be important assets.

So far the callups have done nothing but impress in my opinion. These guys were able to start off the season in the AHL making them game ready from day 1. Weir/Boro/Benoit have all filled their roles with steady play as they fight for permenant NHL jobs. Silf is still adjusting but he doesn't look out of place. Zbad has come up and been a great player despite his limited ice time. O'brien has impressed and is starting to prove to be an NHL talent despite everyone writing him off for the last few years.

The pressure isn't hurting, but rather helping these guys grow in a good controlled atmosphere where the coach is steering the ship.

Disappointing players this season so far: Lats. Regin. Daugavins. A note on Dawg though, he plays with lots of energy and drive but I find that more often then not he ends up with a broken play.

The coach has the power to play who is doing well and will take the opportunity leaving no room for complacency on the team.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Karlsson played 32 mins because we needed to catch up, the other vets are not suited for that. If Gonchar was in, this wouldn't have been an issue. Any team loses it's second best puck mover and the same thing happens. If this was an every time thing, then we'd have an issue.

We did need to catch up but we also decided to kill penalties with Karlsson which made his ice time go up. Agree with you on Gonchar though.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
DA COSTA IS THE ANSWER.

Mark this down.

Also, watch Mika Zibanejad impress as he gets more responsibility. He has been nothing but dynamite in his limited shifts. Alfredsson too said watch for him.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The "Too Devils:" and "Too Sens:" is fantastic, CarknerCountry never fails to disappoint. Never change CC, never change.

Last edited:

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I think some of you are failing to remember how great Da Costa played in the offensive zone last year. Totally one dimensional but he is a sure fire upgrade to "i forgot how to play offense" Regin.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think some of you are failing to remember how great Da Costa played in the offensive zone last year. Totally one dimensional but he is a sure fire upgrade to "i forgot how to play offense" Regin.

Lol, come again? one dimensional? He is excellent in all areas of the ice. He was actually best known for his unbelievable take-away skills when he first arrived; excellent defensively.

The only and I mean only difficulty DaCosta faced before that held him back from staying in the league was his conditioning. To perform consistently through-out the game. He was so gassed at the end of his shifts.

He has improved on that and his offensive game as well.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Kids will be fine as long as the fans and organization don't give them the Nazem Kadri treatment, of expecting them to be the savior for the team and then when they don't produce points send them back down in shame.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol, come again? one dimensional? He is excellent in all areas of the ice. He was actually best known for his unbelievable take-away skills when he first arrived; excellent defensively.

The only and I mean only difficulty DaCosta faced before that held him back from staying in the league was his conditioning. To perform consistently through-out the game. He was so gassed at the end of his shifts.

He has improved on that and his offensive game as well.

I recall him being good in 2 zones; once the puck got to the defensive zone he wasn't terribly effective. Most of his takeaways were in the neutral zone. He certainly lacked when it came to board work. He also seemed to drop off as his stint in the NHL went on, hopefully his conditioning has sufficiently improved.

That said, I've been a big fan of his, because you can tell he has a head for the game (not a joke about his disproportionate head).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
DA COSTA IS THE ANSWER.

Mark this down.

Also, watch Mika Zibanejad impress as he gets more responsibility. He has been nothing but dynamite in his limited shifts. Alfredsson too said watch for him.

Called it.

Zibanejad will be a superstar in this league. His explosiveness, gifted hands, shot, grit, frame and hockey smarts(Yes I said it) are going to make him a beast.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
Called it.

Zibanejad will be a superstar in this league. His explosiveness, gifted hands, shot, grit, frame and hockey smarts(Yes I said it) are going to make him a beast.

Potvin said it too actually, which I found quite interesting.

Mika's hockey smarts are evident when he's turning defense to offense: he does it extremely well. However, I think Silfverberg is much more gifted in maintaining possession/pressure and generating chances after setting up in the offensive zone (finding seams, getting to open lanes, getting shots on net, which might be related to offensive IQ).

I hope this becomes a skill that Mika can develop, because if he can, he'll be a premiere two-way forward in this game for a long time.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
I sat up close tonight with a great view of our attacking RW (Karlsson's side ;)) and I gotta say that the kids looked great. Silf and Zibby are making great plays and really coming along. I love it!

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Called it.

Based on your post it appears that Alfie "called it" and relayed the info to HF :sarcasm:

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I really wanted them to keep Zibby in Bingo but I've been very pleasantly surprised with his game so far.

What will help his development is that he can play a lot of different roles. He looked comfortable with Alfie but also can take some time on the 4th line if he needs it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad