LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
giphy.gif

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
You've got to give the OP credit though, there are a lot of similarities between that 1980s roster and the current one.

They all wore skates
They all breathed oxygen
They all had two legs

You could go on and on regarding the similarities.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
You've got to give the OP credit though, there are a lot of similarities between that 1980s roster and the current one.

They all wore skates
They all breathed oxygen
They all had two legs

They play(ed) in the same building :nod:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
So are we trying to compare the greatest team ever assembled to one that might tie the NHL record for consecutive playoffs missed?

I'm as excited as anyone here about this team in a long long time.. but I just don't get how some pple are already talking Cups and comparing the Oilers to a dynasty team. Wheres the humility with some people? Being the laughing stock of the league for the last decade hasn't taught you enough? I'm not trying to rain on your parade.. but lets just bring down the expectations a tad.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Teams with the best collection of young talent ever. (Early 1980'S Oilers, Early 1990's Quebec-Colorado, Mid 2000's Pittsburgh, Present Oilers) thats all I'm really tryin to say

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

They all wore skates
They all breathed oxygen
They all had two legs

-2 points for not using the term bipedal but other than that gifted post. :handclap:

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Gagner = Gretzky
Nilsson = Kurri
Cogliano = Messier
Smid = Coffey
Dubnyk = Fuhr
Huggybear = Semenko

Bonus:
Reasoner = Sakic ;)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
LOL, funny this thread appears right beside the thread on tempering expectations.

Seriously though, I think many will draw parallels, for good or bad, there is no getting around it. McDavid will be compared to Gretz, Hall to mess etc.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
LOL, funny this thread appears right beside the thread on tempering expectations.

Seriously though, I think many will draw parallels, for good or bad, there is no getting around it. McDavid will be compared to Gretz, Hall to mess etc.

For one I don't think its healthy, and I wish it would stop. Gretz was compared with Howe, but Gretz had an otherworldly perseverance, and ability to withstand any such comparison and be the greatest while being expected to be the greatest everyminute of every year for about 25 years of hockey.

McDavid, while looking to be a similar character who just exudes an ability to handle all this is just human, like all of us, and can be affected by swings where it either is, or isn't difficult to experience the nonstop scrutiny. On some days it would be very tough to handle all of the attention. Kid is 18. The number he was wearing in scrimmage is his date of birth. That shocks me.

Belatedly, even Gretzky has revealed how hard it was to endure all that scrutiny and which started when he was very young.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
A good comparison for the Oilers is the present day Buffalo Sabres. Both teams have young players with potential. Both teams are bottom feeders. Both teams are the laughing stock of the NHL.

OP way to hype up this horrible team but I don't see any comparison to a dynasty Oilers team that had the greatest players in the game. Zero similarities.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
I remember reading threads like this in the early days of Gagner, Nilson, and Cogliano

No doubt. I remember having a friendly debate with a friend about how Cogliano/Gagner weren't that much off from Toews/Kane.. wow.. talk about eating crow!!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Teams with the best collection of young talent ever. (Early 1980'S Oilers, Early 1990's Quebec-Colorado, Mid 2000's Pittsburgh, Present Oilers) thats all I'm really tryin to say

Unfulfilled talent means nothing. Rob Schremp had more talent in his little finger than a lot of guys have in their whole body. Where is he now? I think it is a huge injustice for this edition of the Oilers to even be mentioned in the same sentence as the juggernaut team of the 80's. How about we wait and see if this collection can even make the playoffs and then go from there before any comparisons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad