Present day Edmonton Oilers-Early 1980's Edmonton Oilers

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I know I might be crazy, but the potential of this young Oilers core is amazing. I haven't seen a team with this much potential since the early 1980's Oilers. I mean the 80's oilers core group was Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Paul Coffey, Kevin Lowe, Grant Fuhr, Esa Tikkanen, Charlie Huddy, Randy Gregg, etc. The current Oilers have Connor McDavid, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, Darnell Nurse, Griffin Reinhart, Leon Draisaitl, Oscar Klefbom, Jordan Eberle, possible Cam Talbot and Justin Schultz.I definately see the Present day Oilers missing that Paul Coffey esque defensemen. A true #1 offensive defenseman who can provide that offensive spark from the back end. And there probably missing that Grant Fuhr type goalie, unless Cam Talbot is it but we'll see.

Last edited:

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Yes Im crazy but can u imagine if everyone panned out this could be a comparism something like this Gretzky:McDavid, Kurri:Hall, Messier:Nugent-Hopkins, Anderson:Yakupov, Coffey:xxx, Lowe:Nurse, Tikkanen:Draisaitl, Huddy:Reinhart, Gregg:Klefbom, Fuhr:Talbot??? Maybe Justin Schultz gets his game together too. Lol just hypothetically doing this off potential.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Please, just stop. Getting way ahead of yourself

Harkening back to "79...we have to give them 3 or so years to see if this is to unfold the way some (including me), feel about some of the potential.

I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised with this core.

Its really deep.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Remember how we were all feeling only 4-5 months ago?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I remember reading threads like this in the early days of Gagner, Nilson, and Cogliano

And with HOPE and then with RNH added. Even if McDavid is the best of the bunch, it rings holow. It's a little bit embarrassing to compare this core to what amounted to arguably the greatest team in NHL history. Even if everything worked out 100% (it wont, it never does), this team will never come close to those heights.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Now we just need Coffey...any 40G 120pt top pairing Dman out there?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
No.
Just no.

A lot of those guys panned out in unimaginable ways. We can't expect all of our young players to reach their full potential.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If you read the OP he's not that far off.

The current Oilers are simply a future Hall of Fame 1D and a future Hall of Fame goalie from dominating the league. :shakehead

Add those two pieces for a combined salary of under $8M and it will be the glory days all over again.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
No chance.

That Oiler team of the 80s won 5 Stanley Cups in 7 years and they actually undersold how good they were. They should have won the Cup from the first until 1991 even 92 to 94. I remember the Hockey News had a cartoon
in 94 after the Rangers won the Cup that was a split logo of Oilers and Rangers as champs. Money was the only road block, now have money and there is no way this team is capable of winning 8 straight Stanley Cups. Or 10 in 12 years.

Of course hypothetical past but truly believe that they would have under current economic circumstances.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Some good pieces but we've seen that good pieces doesn't necessarily mean multiple cups (Pittsburg, Anaheim, San Jose, 2004 Lightening), not to mention there are some other teams with an impressive young core (Buffalo, Florida, Colorado, Dallas)

They will need to come together at a mental and psychological level to be the next Chicago (which is most we can hope for). If the Oilers have a Messier/Toews within their group, I'm going to predict his name is Darnell Nurse.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No, no, no, not this thread. :amazed:

No team in present era is getting 5 Stanley Cups. Period. Might never happen again. Its absolutely freaking amazing these days if teams even repeat. Blackhawks winning 3 clubs in this era is legendary. EVERYTHING has to go right, team has to have excellent goaltending, D support cast and all within cap. This here Oilers club by the time its ready to compete is going to have some potential cap problems if it wants to have a deep lineup.

Oct 15, 2008
That team had two good starting goalies, one of the most prolific scoring dmen of all time and the greatest player to ever play the game.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Now hold up I guess, I never once said anything about 5 cups or said this team is or will be better than the 80's oilers. I was just saying doesn't this current oilers team not have one of the most potentially talented under 25 cores in recent history.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Now hold up I guess, I never once said anything about 5 cups or said this team is or will be better than the 80's oilers. I was just saying doesn't this current oilers team not have one of the most potentially talented under 25 cores in recent history.

on that, you are probably correct. they have some special pieces, but it has yet to be determined if they are a good fit. If anything, they probably are not. I would guess that at least 1, probably 2, and possibly even 3 of this young core will be traded for different player types withn in 2-3 years.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
potential is just that... potential. A lot changes as the years go by. It's one thing to have a paper roster, but we have yet to see results on the ice.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
Yes Im crazy but can u imagine if everyone panned out this could be a comparism something like this Gretzky:McDavid, Kurri:Hall, Messier:Nugent-Hopkins, Anderson:Yakupov, Coffey:xxx, Lowe:Nurse, Tikkanen:Draisaitl, Huddy:Reinhart, Gregg:Klefbom, Fuhr:Talbot??? Maybe Justin Schultz gets his game together too. Lol just hypothetically doing this off potential.

You're just throwing out names at random here. Hall and Kurri are nothing alike, RNH and Messier are nothing alike, etc. etc.

Please stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad