GDT: Preseason: Ottawa@Montreal September 27th at 19H

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
My post expressed uncertainty but certainly not impossibility.

It stemmed from several fan comments about how repeated attempts at playing C had him struggling to such an extent that the AVS considered he’d be better served playing the wing.

Not sure what the parallel is with Dach other than seeing two young players trying to raise their game after a prior org. cut ties with them early.

While Dach did take a step forward last season on the many facets of playing centre, he’s not a precedent for Newhook as every player can respond differently to the same coaching and being given similar opportunities.

Newhook can improve at whatever he’s best at and if what he’s shown so far holds up, that would be as a winger. If he doesn’t have it in him to be a centre man, no amount of coaching is going to change that. We’ll see how he responds when he’s given shifts at C but I won’t have any expectations that he’ll be successful there. As long as he improves and his ultimate role is found, it’ll be fun for me to watch.
Both buy-low opportunities due to their previous teams throwing the towel early on promising young centers, in both cases based on the impression that they had been given opportunities to gel with top players. In both cases, the players were early in the learning curve of adapting as NHL centers. Yes, one is taller than the other, but the shorter one has elite speed and a very good shot. So other than height, a strong parallel indeed.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Sens goons went full goons intending to hurt the Habs best players as expected, not just Dach. Knee on knee, boarding, slew foot, crosschecking in the number. Named it. They went for it. Refs stopped any fighting the moment is looked to start and toward the end they were just calling everything to keep control.
I know a lot of people were unhappy with the ref (nothing new right?) But I think they did a good job yesterday making sure nothing got out of hand.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I really hope that RHP - Dach - Slaf will play together in season, they looks very good together! They complete each other perfectly!
All 3 got things to prove at different levels. I agree keep them. All 3 of them are hungry.

Let Kirby be his own man by becoming a star player and someone who can make other players better.

Let RHP be the underdog that proves everyone wrong. He will work hard and make sure he does whatever it takes to be in the big league.

Let Slafkovsky play with two players around his age and continue to develop and slowly prove his worth.

I liked that line, it just makes sense.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
sens also ran Guhle and there a knee on knee on Davidson i believe
It wasn't farfetched at all
Slafkovsky was also targeted all night too. Crosschecks to the back and stuff like that. Zero push back from the minus Gignac. Dach refused to fight but given his wrist injury I'll ignore that. He isn't the guy that should be fighting anyway

Reactions: Tyson and HuGo Sham

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Slafkovsky was also targeted all night too. Crosschecks to the back and stuff like that. Zero push back from the minus Gignac. Dach refused to fight but given his wrist injury I'll ignore that. He isn't the guy that should be fighting anyway
Savard went after MacEwen after his very dangerous hit on Guhle. The commentators in French were sure he was going to get instigator but he only got roughing (MacEven got boarding + roughing). The refs stopped the players from fighting away all game, it's not that the players didn't want to fight.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Anderson in place of RHP for me.....
Anderson will kill plays… he’s not made to play with guys like that

And it’s pre-season.

He fought last year, though. He can do it, i just wouldn’t want him fighting often.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

Slaf has to learn to push back or he will get picked on till he responds (like what happened with Dach at the beginning of the last season).

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Anderson will kill plays… he’s not made to play with guys like that

And it’s pre-season.

He fought last year, though. He can do it, i just wouldn’t want him fighting often.
Somewhat true, but Anderson also makes alot of space for the other two...........I just like the size speed and skill all combined with those 3 guys...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Slaf has to learn to push back or he will get picked on till he responds (like what happened with Dach at the beginning of the last season).
He did last game. It's not quite clear what happened because most of it was off-camera, but Imama went after Slaf and then Slaf did something that caused the Sens to go to Imama's defense which caused the rest of the Habs players to join the melee. The refs diffused the situation real fast, but Slaf was still yelling visibly angry. The Sens mostly left Slaf alone after that from what I've seen.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't think that we should obsess about blocking a young player. If he has put his hip and groin problems behind him, he still has a lot of shelf life left at 28. It really depends which young player and that player's ceiling, but if he stays healthy, I can see Monahan being useful till his mid-thirties, albeit playing up and down the lineup if he loses a step.
Yeah his injury last year was unrelated to his past injuries right?

I just said the same thing in another thread. I like his game too much. It’s like Lang 2.0. I’d totally roll the dice on keeping him

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Yeah his injury last year was unrelated to his past injuries right?

I just said the same thing in another thread. I like his game too much. It’s like Lang 2.0. I’d totally roll the dice on keeping him
Superficially, the two injuries are unrelated: groin vs hip area, but generally he would benefit from training for greater flexibility, especially in his lower body. I've had similar injuries as a lifelong tennis player, and I can tell you I do a lot better with these with regular yoga practice. I would like the Habs to be leaders in that kind of preventative practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad