GDT: Preseason Hockey! New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He hasn’t earned a spot. No production. Zero
To be fair you can say that about a lot of guys on the team. Other than Tatar and Hughes and maybe Hamilton has anyone really looked good on offense? They have won some low scoring games. At least the goaltending looks improved. That's significant if it isn't a mirage.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Little harsh , he had looked good and has had bad luck finishing .
You ever notice how often we say that about players around here...How does the saying go? If it wasn't for back luck we'd have no luck at all :)

Holtz was very good in one game...I do think he has tailed off since. He still seems engaged and working but just not as effective as he did earlier in the preseason.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
To be fair you can say that about a lot of guys on the team. Other than Tatar and Hughes and maybe Hamilton has anyone really looked good on offense? They have won some low scoring games. At least the goaltending looks improved. That's significant if it isn't a mirage.
We are talking about a player that has zero NHL goals. Not comparing his preseason to players proven at the NHL level at all

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You ever notice how often we say that about players around here...How does the saying go? If it wasn't for back luck we'd have no luck at all :)

Holtz was very good in one game...I do think he has tailed off since. He still seems engaged and working but just not as effective as he did earlier in the preseason.

It's not something that was said a lot last season because the Devils were an average finishing team. It's something that was said about Holtz in his first stint in the AHL and then, oh wow, he actually was good at finishing last season.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I would like to see Holtz score tonight in an impressive fashion to get that monkey off his back.

I'd also like to see Zetterlund continue to do Zetterlund things.

Would go a long way to cementing their spots on the roster.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's not something that was said a lot last season because the Devils were an average finishing team. It's something that was said about Holtz in his first stint in the AHL and then, oh wow, he actually was good at finishing last season.
In regards to Holtz in the AHL...Well yeah 10 games...you can have bad luck...But it's not unusual around here to hear that excuse for someone's entire season....Or 2

It's Snake bitten in New Zealand

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
In regards to Holtz in the AHL...Well yeah 10 games...you can have bad luck...But it's not unusual around here to hear that excuse for someone's entire season....Or 2

Let's follow this logic train, shall we? HersheyBob, projecting his feelings on to management, thinks Holtz is going to be sent down because he hasn't produced. Someone else comes in and says he's had bad luck. You say yeah how often is that used as an excuse? I say bad luck is real, including in Holtz's own recent past, you say 'oh sure in 10 games you can have bad luck'. Do you see how you're making the point you claim to be arguing against?

Bad luck can last more than a season. Good luck can too, people seldom talk about that around here, but it was certainly bandied about after Zacha's supposed breakthrough season in 2021.

My3Sons

Sponsor
We are talking about a player that has zero NHL goals. Not comparing his preseason to players proven at the NHL level at all
In the rookie or prospect group he’s not looking out of place. I just haven’t seen any of the young players separate themselves from the pack yet. They’ve all been sort of meh for one reason or another.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Let's follow this logic train, shall we? HersheyBob, projecting his feelings on to management, thinks Holtz is going to be sent down because he hasn't produced. Someone else comes in and says he's had bad luck. You say yeah how often is that used as an excuse? I say bad luck is real, including in Holtz's own recent past, you say 'oh sure in 10 games you can have bad luck'. Do you see how you're making the point you claim to be arguing against?

Bad luck can last more than a season. Good luck can too, people seldom talk about that around here, but it was certainly bandied about after Zacha's supposed breakthrough season in 2021.
I'll stop you short...There is nothing logical about interjecting someone else's conversation into anything I said.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'll stop you short...There is nothing logical about interjecting someone else's conversation into anything I said.

So you didn't read anyone else's post and glommed on to a single sentence to make a blinkingly obvious point. Got it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So you didn't read anyone else's post and glommed on to a single sentence to make a blinkingly obvious point. Got it.
I typically only make obvious points as to not have to deal with nonsense you are trying to conjure up right now.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
In the rookie or prospect group he’s not looking out of place. I just haven’t seen any of the young players separate themselves from the pack yet. They’ve all been sort of meh for one reason or another.
The lineups have been really all over the place. Games have been like watching the rookie scrimmages where there’s no chemistry and the worst players are giving the hardest effort (like tatar :laugh:).

Production doesn’t matter much to me in preseason, i just wanna see the players getting chances and not looking lost. Zetterlund and Holtz have passed with flying colors, Boqvist much less so.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The lineups have been really all over the place. Games have been like watching the rookie scrimmages where there’s no chemistry and the worst players are giving the hardest effort (like tatar :laugh:).

Production doesn’t matter much to me in preseason, i just wanna see the players getting chances and not looking lost. Zetterlund and Holtz have passed with flying colors, Boqvist much less so.
That's fair. You can see the higher effort from those two. Boquist hasn't been noticeable to me. Still those players aren't about short term results. You try to keep them based on your projection of what they might grow into. Boquist had a solid second half last year and deserves more than a short preseason to prove himself. Same with Zetterlund who showed that the AHL was no longer a challenge and his short NHL stint looked good. Holtz is the one who has more to prove to me compared to the older two. He was meh in the AHL playoffs and while he looks improved from last season I'm not sure he's ready to be a fixture with Hughes just yet. I guess if they have the gumption to send down Johnsson and the ability to send down Bernier and the decision making capacity to send down Geersten maybe there is a world where all three are on the roster.

Reactions: HBK27 and Bleedred

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I like the lineup. Need to make sure our goalies are ready come regular season, make it a shooting gallery tonight for them to iron out their game

Reactions: Saugus and HBK27

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I like the lineup. Need to make sure our goalies are ready come regular season, make it a shooting gallery tonight for them to iron out their game

Any word on the Islanders' lineup? If they are also icing scrubs, then it might not be quite the test our goalies need.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The more I see upset tweets about the lineup (not that there's a ton), the more I kinda like it. You wanna now where everyone stands? Here's a great way to find out.

Also it's been interesting seeing Clarke's usage this preseason. Seems like management is expecting bigger things out of him than most of these other guys. It'd be cool to see him be the next Utica guy to take a big step.

Reactions: Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad