GDT: Preseason Game #6 | Toronto Maple Leafs @ Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kessel's gone, but a team with Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, Kadri, Reimer is by its very nature going to look like this. It's not even a criticism, its just their signature style.

Yeeeeeep ... Whether you think Kessel was a problem or not while he was here, it's clear there was other problems with the core

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nylander/Brown are going to be a good Marlies line for us this year. Until they are promoted.
Matthias has come on, like the looks he gets. Keep driving.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
%$@# developing in the AHL.
Nylander should be on the leafs ... Connor Brown too.

If we wanted to tank we should have done that last year ... and gotten McDavid or Eichel.
If we want to win a few you got to go with Nylander.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Please, it couldn't be worse than finishing 2nd last and having traded your your 1st overall to a divisional rival.

you're right , at least this year we have the draft to discuss and look forward too

trading the two firsts and then finishing 2nd and 9th last was more painful than anything we're going to witness this year

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
LOL no -

all i mean - by the players they all went how THIS YEAR IS DIFFERENT, the work ethic will be here, they'll commit harder and stuff. They ended last year sooo poorly, everyone was being rumoured to being shipped off - you'd think that they 'd be here tryng to impress everyone, and everyone and working so hard and fast, and crap. but they aren't. and to dismiss it because it's "pre-season".... sorry, why should they get a mulligan? ALL of these guys should be striving to impress not pooh-poohing everything because it's pre-season.

like. for me i don't care, like i know most of these people are gone, and i'm watching for other things. but it just makes me raise an eyebrow on how many things we're supposed to excuse for the veterans of this team -as if they earned any benefit of the doubt.

The old core that's been in place since 2012 and prior are simply dogs. They're deficient in ability, work ethic, blue collar mentality, composure under pressure, you name it. That's how you get people like them through trade. You know what you get with them and one of the more pleasurable things to look forward to is if and when they get shipped out of town.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gardiner, Rielly and Marincin haven't had good games tonight. Harrington has been fine, so has Phaneuf. Hunwick has been good.

On forward I've liked Brown a lot. Nylander has been dynamic, snake-bitten and a bit spotty defensively. Still haven't seen anything 5-on-5 to like from Grabner, really.

Neither goaltender look hot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Stop. Using. The. Suspensions. As. An. Excuse. THEY WERE OF HIS OWN DOING!

Not aimed at you specifically, but the fact that people use that as an excuse when he put himself in that spot and was 10000% his own fault is pretty stupid.

Not arguing that. But they definitely affect a player.

At the time it's reasonable to think, especially with the timing of Clarkson's' that it may have affected his performance. Obviously we know now, that he's terrible either way.

Between injuries and suspensions, even if it's his own doing, never really allowed him to settle in.

All Daisy and I, who received the heat for trying to give the guy a fair shake, were doing, was trying to give him time.

He was awful season 1, yes. We came in with an open mind, he continued to be horrible, and we have up.

It's not like if Clarkson's was traded that first summer, we would have been all "OMG WHY CLARKSON IS AMAZEBALLS".

I've said before Clarkson didnt deserve the time we gave him. However, I'm not going to say I was wrong for trying to give a player some time to possibly bounce back. Once it was fully clear that wasn't going to happen, both me and Daisy gave up, and joined the bash fest.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

If we wanted to tank we should have done that last year ... and gotten McDavid or Eichel.

They should be but I don't want them around until the remaining pieces of the Burke core are dealt with.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The old core that's been in place since 2012 and prior are simply dogs. They're deficient in ability, work ethic, blue collar mentality, composure under pressure, you name it. That's how you get people like them through trade. You know what you get with them and one of the more pleasurable things to look forward to is if and when they get shipped out of town.

I can't wait till this team has shipped off Bozak, Lupul and Phaneuf.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Stop. Using. The. Suspensions. As. An. Excuse. THEY WERE OF HIS OWN DOING!

Not aimed at you specifically, but the fact that people use that as an excuse when he put himself in that spot and was 10000% his own fault is pretty stupid.

well obviously.
but he was supended , then injured, suspended, then injured, then put on the shelf. it was a piss poor year. and I was willing to give him a mulligan on that, even with the stupidity. when it was very obvious that he sucks, Cor and I pulled the cord on it. I (we) just felt he needed a chance - which is fair .

same reason why I defended Robidas all season, but it's v.obvious the broken broke him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
:laugh: Yup, make a bad turnover than go for a line change and leave others with your mess. Flawless victory.

We don't need to use +/- if you prefer we could use ice time.

Based on that, Boyes, Matthias and Bozak are earning Babcock's trust as forwards in this game tonight.

JVR demoted to 2C.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

Yup, I really figured at least 3/4 of them won't be back like Phaneuf/Lupul/Bozak/Kessel, but nope.

Their stuck with them, why would any other team trade for them I guess :laugh:

Just waive them if you can't get anything for them at this point.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo

Their line has generated the most offensive chances this game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not arguing that. But they definitely affect a player.

At the time it's reasonable to think, especially with the timing of Clarkson's' that it may have affected his performance. Obviously we know now, that he's terrible either way.

Between injuries and suspensions, even if it's his own doing, never really allowed him to settle in.

All Daisy and I, who received the heat for trying to give the guy a fair shake, were doing, was trying to give him time.

He was awful season 1, yes. We came in with an open mind, he continued to be horrible, and we have up.

It's not like if Clarkson's was traded that first summer, we would have been all "OMG WHY CLARKSON IS AMAZEBALLS".

I've said before Clarkson didnt deserve the time we gave him. However, I'm not going to say I was wrong for trying to give a player some time to possibly bounce back. Once it was fully clear that wasn't going to happen, both me and Daisy gave up, and joined the bash fest.

I thought Clarkson was going to be a lot better than he was. He certainly showed more whenever he lit up the Leafs while a Devil, or in general when he was always playing hungry and desperate to stay in the league.

His skills are obvious deficient and the Leafs under Carlyle wasn't a good fit for him but I can't help but think that when an underdog grinder finally makes it big on a massive contract in his hometown no less, he's going to lose a bit of that edge that made him successful in the first place. Maybe he tried too hard in some ways, but with all that money and security, who needs the aggravation?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
well obviously.
but he was supended , then injured, suspended, then injured, then put on the shelf. it was a piss poor year. and I was willing to give him a mulligan on that, even with the stupidity. when it was very obvious that he sucks, Cor and I pulled the cord on it. I (we) just felt he needed a chance - which is fair .

same reason why I defended Robidas all season, but it's v.obvious the broken broke him.

Daisy is much better at explaining it than I :laugh:

I liked Robidas, hated the contract, but liked the player. Now I'm one of the more vocal ones about waiving him.

Because it's clear that he doesn't add anything to the team.

snizzbone*

How did Toronto get the penalty there? It looked like Clune got cross checked super hard in the lower back..

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They seriously have Clune a penalty for getting decked after taking the shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad