GDT: Preseason Game 6: Sabres at Blue Jackets, 7 PM

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
GMs arent living and dying about burning a year anymore. Friedman talked about this recently, less time to prove themselves before the big club can offer them a long term contract that hopefully ends up being a steal sooner rather than later.
Yet Adams kept Quinn & JJP down in Rochester all year in 21-22 when they could have provided something to the Sabres throughout the season.

Adams has been patient with most of the young forward thus far. Benson could break that mold. But, Adams could prefer to slow cook him, too.

Time will tell.

I think one also needs to take into consideration what they're looking for in that final forward spot. Do they want someone to come in and more or less replace Quinn in the top 6? If that's the case, it's really hard to argue against Benson getting 9 games.

But if they're more willing to slide guys around (IE, Mitts into more of a scoring role and Krebs away from 21/28)......then I think Benson going down and keeping Biro/Rousek is much more realistic.
Right now, I would be mildly surprised if they don't give Benson 9 games. I think the much bigger question is does he get 10+ games or not.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Not sure about Clifton and his place in the top pair. I liked the Samuelsson - Dahlin pairing, I wouldn’t change it, we need stability in defense.

I'm of two minds on this. My hope with the Clifton signing was to have him be next to OP, but if he can be Sammy-esque next to Dahlin, that shores up another pairing due to Sammy moving.

Reactions: Zman5778

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yet Adams kept Quinn & JJP down in Rochester all year in 21-22 when they could have provided something to the Sabres throughout the season.
2 vastly different scenarios with 2 vastly different teams in different places

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
2 vastly different scenarios with 2 vastly different teams in different places
Yeah, that 21-22 team was still developing and this team is trying to make the playoffs.

One could argue that this year's team is less likely to play a D+1 guy in a top 6 role because of the push to be a playoff team.

Reactions: Bendium

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yeah, that 21-22 team was still developing and this team is trying to make the playoffs.

One could argue that this year's team is less likely to play a D+1 guy in a top 6 role because of the push to be a playoff team.
My point was that if Adams feels Benson is a good enough option over the others, he doesn’t care about burning a year. I’m not discussing whether he’s good enough, I’m saying I don’t think Adams is worried about burning the ELC year if it comes down to it.

Think you’re arguing a completely different point I never even brought up lol

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

One could also make the opposite argument that they are more likely to take a shot on the D+1 guy being ready if they think it will contribute more to wins.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One could also make the opposite argument that they are more likely to take a shot on the D+1 guy being ready if they think it will contribute more to wins.
History suggests that D+1 guys that could do that are exceedingly rare. Just look at what 1OV draft picks have done recently in their D+1 seasons.

Benson would have to be a massive outlier to be that good.

Reactions: Bendium

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
History suggests that D+1 guys that could do that are exceedingly rare. Just look at what 1OV draft picks have done recently in their D+1 seasons.

Benson would have to be a massive outlier to be that good.
I don't disagree. I never said he was the next coming of gretzky. Just that IF he contributes more to winning than losing, better than his peers do, then he should get the spot. That's all I am saying.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My point was that if Adams feels Benson is a good enough option over the others, he doesn’t care about burning a year. I’m not discussing whether he’s good enough, I’m saying I don’t think Adams is worried about burning the ELC year if it comes down to it.

Think you’re arguing a completely different point I never even brought up lol
And I am saying that it is one of a multitude of factors when it comes to Benson (waivers for other guys being another) that will be a part of the decision-making.

Adams has decided not to slow cook some guys (Power and Levi most notably) and slow cook others. The Savoie & Quinn injuries are opening a door for Benson and he very well could earn a spot for 10+ games. But, I do not think it is a given, either.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm of two minds on this. My hope with the Clifton signing was to have him be next to OP, but if he can be Sammy-esque next to Dahlin, that shores up another pairing due to Sammy moving.
And if he can’t, we’ll screw up and lose time and points.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
And if he can’t, we’ll screw up and lose time and points.
Clifton is better than a LOT of the defensemen we were running out there last year. Even if he's not an ideal pair with Dahlin or Power or can't handle 19/20 min a game........he's still better than who we were giving minutes to last year.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The tough thing with Biro is that he would need to clear waivers. Rousek can go back to Rochester without waivers at this point.

And all I am saying is that roster decisions are never just about "who looked the best in the preseason."
You just keep Biro around until Benson hits 9gms and is probably sent back.
Or you insert him in a rotation with VO to kick his arse should he countinue his poor performance from end of last season/preseason.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Clifton is better than a LOT of the defensemen we were running out there last year. Even if he's not an ideal pair with Dahlin or Power or can't handle 19/20 min a game........he's still better than who we were giving minutes to last year.
It’s clear that he’s better than Bryson and Clague, I just liked the Samuelsson - Dahlin pairing and it’s strange to see Muel in the third pair.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
It’s a long season.
While that is true, the points at the beginning of the season count just much as the ones at the end of the season. The Sabres missed by two points last year, not over the last week, or last month, but over the full season. They could have gotten those two points in Oct-Nov-Dec but they were also still developing players and figuring out lines. Need to start winning this time right from the start.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't disagree. I never said he was the next coming of gretzky. Just that IF he contributes more to winning than losing, better than his peers do, then he should get the spot. That's all I am saying.
It's a tough decision to make. Let's say they give him nine games. That's a really small sample size to determine if he can hold up to the NHL grind. He may contribute to wins in October, but after that is a tough call to make.

Reactions: Mattilaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad