GDT: Preseason game 6 - Jets vs Wild

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
Goalies are a different then most hockey players and most people know that have played hockey that you never say anything or gesture anything towards the goalie.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Maybe time to split up Ehlers and Laine ?? - it seems to me that Ehlers with his speed can drive a line by himself, as shown with Calgary and his 2 goals. Also he'll shoot more and not feel guilty not passing if off to Laine. Ehler's has an underrated shot, and is very accurate. Also Roslovic has the speed to keep up with Ehlers, and also is very shifty and a good goal scorer with soft hands. Add in Lemieux on this line, and they will be fast and highly productive. They could be the 2nd or 3rd line. ( likely the 3rd line) Having Lemieux also adds some physicality and digging the puck out of the boards. I'd like to see the Jets go this way --Ehlers is the "key" and the line driver. Be nice as well for Lemieux to keep the tough guys off of Ehlers or Roslo--as he's very tough. Roslovic would center this line of course.

For the second line -- at least to start with you go with Little at center, with Laine and Perrault, and they should also be very productive. I think Perrault or Little can set up Laine with his shot, and also Laine is faster this year with his 15 lb weight loss, and he to can become a line driver ? The key is here is splitting up Ehlers and Laine--and we'll see what happens.

If we do this we'll have 3 great scoring lines--I'd like to see it.:thumbu:

ALSO - With this Brossoit as a backup, we're looking real good, along with Morrow.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought that was mostly Niku getting lost on the last goal there. He took a step in the wrong direction as Spurgeon was going the other way behind the net and left that whole side open.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Tried listening to the post-game show on 1290. I just can't. Kevin O is such a turd, ditto the guy with him (Kidd?). ****ing terrible.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I thought that was mostly Niku getting lost on the last goal there. He took a step in the wrong direction as Spurgeon was going the other way behind the net and left that whole side open.

Yeah, wierd decision to go cover the point there.

Shaibu

Nov 12, 2016
What you think about Brossoit? Is he good enough to be a backup goalie? Better than Mason?

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What you think about Brossoit? Is he good enough to be a backup goalie? Better than Mason?

We can't say that Brossoit is better than Mason, but I'd say he's just as good, or very close, and with more upside than Mason. Also Mason cannot stay healthy,(concussions, knees) so with Mason you don't really have a "reliable" backup Goaltender. I'm impressed with Brossoit, and will be great for the Jets. Chevy has an eye for talent.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well, that was a game. :)
I'm not usually so cheerful after a loss but, pre-season.
I was actually quite proud of our boys tonight. That was Minny regular lineup, in their building. Meanwhile it was our lineup missing Morrissey, Trouba, Myers on D, Connor, Scheifele, Wheeler, Little, Laine, Perreault up front and our starting goalie, Helle. And not necessarily all of our second string in to replace them. Some were 3rd string. :laugh:

Liked our D, all of them. Liked Lemmy, Dano, Appleton, Suess and pretty much all the rest too. Roslovic looks like the 3C. Thats good news. He needs to take that job first and then move up.

Can't remember enjoying losing more. :laugh:
Note, Minnesotans and Minneapolitans in particular, hate when people use the term "Minny".

Seriously, it's a thing :)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Looks ok to me, not too bad positionally, agile and appears fairly strong, tracks the puck pretty well. Gives up the odd softie but otherwise he looks like a bargain so far. A bit early but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch that he can be as good as Mason at least. Let's hope healthier.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Happens all the time in football and soccer. Don't see why hockey players should be barred from expressing disgust when their teammate ****s up.
Soccer goalies literally scream at their teammates for even allowing a shot, let alone a goal. Also, no goal is ever their fault. .......ever.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I'm still not sold on his composure on the ice. His body language and gesturing towards Brossoit on the Patteryn goal was very poor. As a player you should never make a gesture like that towards a goalie.
Overblown, as things like this always are. Buff has been accused of poor body language for years. It's ridiculous.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I'm still not sold on his composure on the ice. His body language and gesturing towards Brossoit on the Patteryn goal was very poor. As a player you should never make a gesture like that towards a goalie.
Lemieux has a history of being a terrible teammate that goes back to before he was in the CHL. TBH i don't want him anywhere near this team.

Reactions: Wizard204

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Overblown, as things like this always are. Buff has been accused of poor body language for years. It's ridiculous.

Buffs body language was always pretty direct

Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/d0/d7/a6d0d71751d9a205cb82716679304438.jpg

4Q4AwT

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Two unrelated thoughts.

Niku showed a glimpse of what he can bring to the team tonight that others in the mix can't. His defensive lapses are no different than anything I've seen out of Myers, Chiarot, Kuli, Morrow, Poolman and Buff for that matter.

The difference is his puck movement and skating are far more beneficial, the rest he'll improve upon. His gap and positioning were already better tonight. He's also very good at providing the right outlet for his partner.

Tanev was his usual buzz saw self tonight, but good grief he's offensively challenged at times. His brain can't catch up to his feet a lot.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
Not overblown by being a distraction in the locker room in junior, teammates were relieved when he was gone.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
Not overblown by being a distraction in the locker room in junior, teammates were relieved when he was gone.
Also, he had a bad attitude in buffalo and apparently was refusing to sign a contract there so they had no problem including him in a trade.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
This isn't junior anymore. Heard anything lately? Sounds like you've got him labelled no matter what.
No I am not labeling him, just stating what his personality was like when he was in junior (which by the way was not that long ago.) Also like I stated above there were some rumors coming out of buffalo that he was too good for them and didn't want to sign a contract with them, so that is why buffalo had no problem including him in a package.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
There was “rumours” about some issues last year.

That said, issues can be and sometimes are fixed.
Fair enough. Hard to see it affecting his play or the team so far though. Considering his call ups last year, the org seems to have time for him and whatever "attitude" he brings.

You're closer than me though.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just caught the last few minutes of the period but Ehlers seems to be flying out there. Funny what being freed from the shackles of a dysfunctional line does to a player.

Ehler's was really flying out there, and one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and in my opinion he is a great line driver. His speed opens up so much ice, as the defenders are a little intimidated by it, and back off quite a bit. He scored 2 beautiful goals in Calgary, and scored in 2 of his 10 shots. Maurice told him to "shoot more." He has a very accurate and hard shot, does Nikky boy.

This is why I'd like to see Roslovic with Ehlers, as Roslo is almost as fast, is a great playmaker and has nice scoring hands. Put Lemieux on that line with them, and you have a winner of a 3rd line --and then you have 3 scoring lines.

The problem with keeping Laine on a line with Ehlers, is that Ehlers will often pass off to Laine, when really he should be shooting himself. I'd like to see these 2 guys split up, and see how they mesh with new linemates. Really like to see Lemieux play with Ehlers and Roslovic -- be a very fast dynamic line-"and all can score."

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Ehler's was really flying out there, and one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and in my opinion he is a great line driver. His speed opens up so much ice, as the defenders are a little intimidated by it, and back odd quite a bit. He scored 2 beautiful goals in Calgary, and scored in 2 of his 10 shots. Maurice told him to "shoot more." He has a very accurate and hard shot, does Nikky boy.

This is why I'd like to see Roslovic with Ehlers, as Roslo is almost as fast, is a great playmaker and has nice scoring hands. Put Lemieux on that line with them, and you have a winner of a 3rd line --and then you have 3 scoring lines.

The problem with keeping Laine on a line with Ehlers, is that Ehlers will often pass off to Laine, when really he should be shooting himself. I'd like to see these 2 guys split up, and see how they mesh with new linemates. Really like to see Lemieux play with Ehlers and Roslovic -- be a very fast dynamic line-"and all can score."
The problem with Ehlers being with Laine is that he often shoots himself instead of passing to Patty who is in a better position... And that is not wrong, its just that they are both shooters and dont really compliment each other. I really do not want to sound like i am biased towards Laine(i like to think i am not, except when it comes to choosing who shoots the puck), but the problem has never been Ehlers passing too much. I would love to see them separated for an extended period of time. Let both have their own lines where they can be the main triggermen.

You could see it when Laine had his hot streak last season. Both Statsny and Ehlers delivered the puck to Laine who put it in the net, instead of shooting as much.

Thats how i saw it, at least. Dunno if anyone agrees...except certain users..

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad