Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 6: @ Devils

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
It's not like he said anything that bad.. I don't get the need to be so overly aggressive and defensive to visiting fans on these boards. Bring it down a notch, the guy is being civil.

I don't understand the need to be so territorial. I mean, they're already stuck being Devils fans- who are we to deny them the opportunity to hang out in the better place on top of not cheering for the superior team.

AHB*

Oh another thing: since I watch a lot of hockey, especially tri state teams, i have never really seen a player who is too fast for his own good...until I saw Hagelin.

The kid just can't get a shot off to save his life. Its almost like he can't keep up with himself, or he can't calm down. What is up with that?

Guess its better he has to set back instead of move forward though.

He's actually a really smart player, he just doesn't have the hands nor the shot to become a top line producer. Certainly not too fast for his own good.

Sometimes I struggle with my feelings about him because he won't produce for certain stretched, but overall he's a very effective player. He was also absolutely unreal in the playoffs for us.

Great little player that we will probably lose eventually due to a cap crunch.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Oh another thing: since I watch a lot of hockey, especially tri state teams, i have never really seen a player who is too fast for his own good...until I saw Hagelin.

The kid just can't get a shot off to save his life. Its almost like he can't keep up with himself, or he can't calm down. What is up with that?

If he had any sembelance of offensive hockey IQ, he'd be a superstar. It's pretty frustrating.

Love him as a player nonetheless.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's not like he said anything that bad.. I don't get the need to be so overly aggressive and defensive to visiting fans on these boards. Bring it down a notch, the guy is being civil.

Totally agree. We should encourage different points of view. It spices up and broadens the convo.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Missed the awesomeness that was Rico Fata?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Hagelin doesn't have to score a lot to be an effective player. It's just that if he did he'd be a star. His speed on the forecheck, his lateral ability and ability to reverse, his effective defensive play and great penalty killing are what make him what he is and offset the somewhat mediocre goal/assist/point totals. He's a really good player all in all. Just don't expect him to lead the offense.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He's actually a really smart player, he just doesn't have the hands nor the shot to become a top line producer. Certainly not too fast for his own good.

Sometimes I struggle with my feelings about him because he won't produce for certain stretched, but overall he's a very effective player. He was also absolutely unreal in the playoffs for us.

Great little player that we will probably lose eventually due to a cap crunch.

I said it before, its because he has the absolute worst backhander in the NHL.

If he could shoot backhanded he would have 20+ goals a season easy.

He has to instead spend half his time trying to get in position to shoot forehand.

AHB*

If he had any sembelance of offensive hockey IQ, he'd be a superstar. It's pretty frustrating.

Love him as a player nonetheless.

I really don't think it's his IQ that holds him back. It's not like the guy is Del Zotto. He just doesn't have an overall elite skill set. He has an elite skill in his speed that blows away most professional players, but that's where that elite skill ends.

He's not a particularly good stickhandler, he can't really shoot a backhand, his wrist and slap shot are both relatively weak, etc.

Thing is, he has taken that single elite piece of his game and formed the rest of his game around it. It's a very smart thing to do and one that helps him to be as effective as he can be.

He's a fantastic penalty killer, he's great at pushing the pace and helping other players open up space, he just can't finish to save his life. It's far more relative to his overall skill set though then his IQ. Frankly I think Hags is quite a smart player.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Did you see the trade proposals thread on Kucherov to the NYR? I was pretty shocked at what they wanted for the kid.

Those kinds of threads always end in angry bickering. I cringe when I see them. It's funny because that's the board to go to for the legitimate/"legitimate" rumors and news, but also for pissing matches between fanbases.

He's not eligible. Played 52 games last season.

That's too bad. He's apparently already a 40 goal scorer.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Went to the game, boy what snoozefest. Devils had their full squad mostly, Rangers iced the AHL squad for the most part and it showed. No one impressed me or caught my eye. Lindberg I just don't see it, Haggerty should be sent down, Hrivik another AHL lifer. Duclair had a couple shifts where he stood out but was either poke checked or missed the net. Talbot scares me. He hasn't looked that good. Just a few games ago AV had his hands full completing the roster because so many kids were playing well, now it's the opposite. I think the highlight of the trip was leaving the arena and a Devils fan telling me Lundqvist looked great tonight. I told him I couldn't tell, I wasn't at a good angle to see him sitting on the bench:laugh:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Desjardins was a solid pickup and cam better show up in the regular season he was awful all preseason

Hagelin will score 20 goals this year U watch

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
hmmm so does the LTIR men Duclair has as spot opened up?

14 gives options
Kreider, Brassard,Zuc
Duclair MSL, Nash
Hagelin, Miller, Fast
Glass, Moore, Stempniak
Malone, X ? Lombardi or Meuller ? Don't really know

Guessing Hayes needs to play in CT. Lindberg and Haggerty and Hrvik too

Agree with this summary completely. Mueller wins it for 14th forward spot over Lindberg AINEC.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Game was a snoozer, had no life. You could see that there was no rhyme or reason to this line up. The amount of missed plays, and just plain confusion was staggering at some points during the game.

Though the kids looked alright for the most part. Haggerty had 2-3 glorious chances and shanked them, a couple off of rolling pucks. I thought Duclair looked good, he is very subtle defensively, but he'll take the puck off of you without you even realizing he's there.

Looking forward to the home opener

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I really don't think it's his IQ that holds him back. It's not like the guy is Del Zotto. He just doesn't have an overall elite skill set. He has an elite skill in his speed that blows away most professional players, but that's where that elite skill ends.

He's not a particularly good stickhandler, he can't really shoot a backhand, his wrist and slap shot are both relatively weak, etc.

Thing is, he has taken that single elite piece of his game and formed the rest of his game around it. It's a very smart thing to do and one that helps him to be as effective as he can be.

He's a fantastic penalty killer, he's great at pushing the pace and helping other players open up space, he just can't finish to save his life. It's far more relative to his overall skill set though then his IQ. Frankly I think Hags is quite a smart player.

That's where elite skill offensive skill ends. He is probably one of the better defensive wingers among those that match his offensive production.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hagelin was outstanding in the postseason for a depth player.

He play 15-16 mins a game. You're not going to get more from him so just be happy he's a young, fast, cheap two-way forward.

As for the game, again, the coaching staff was forced by the Front Office to keep the roster stacked until the end. The Stepan injury may have raised concern and a decision was made to let kids duke it out rather than establish a roster early.

My bet AV has his set roster, and had it two weeks ago. The FO wanted to either showcase kids or give them as much NHL exposure as possible before shipping them off to Hartford.

The preseason is the worst friggin indicator. Hell, the first month of the real season may be as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad