Post-Game Talk: Preseason game 5 = win

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Why do the GDT's disappear at the end of games? Looking back only one of this seasons preseason games are visible, September 25th's game against the Oilers.l

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 2.22.09 AM.png

Reactions: GNP

costanzaWPG

Apr 7, 2017
Why do the GDT's disappear at the end of games? Looking back only one of this seasons preseason games are visible, September 25th's game against the Oilers.l

I still see them so not sure why they're not showing for you. Unless they were hidden but no longer are.

If you're looking for the one from yesterday: click here

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers ....... This line is set
Barron - Lowry - Appleton ....... This line is set
Perfetti - Dubois - Wheller ....... This line is set
Mäenalanen - Toninato- Gagner ...... my best guess

would love to see Hienola in at defense but not sure who comes out
i agree with that 4th line

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I see Dennis Cholowski was waived, so I don't see why the Jets should be afraid to waive Stanley because they think a team will claim him. I know they aren't going to do this, but being afraid of some guys getting claimed when across the league there are similar players getting cut too.

Cholowski 20th overall 2016
115 games 30pts

Stanley 18th overall 2016
95 games played 17pts
Not exactly the same, Cholowski was given his chance in 18-19 and 19-20 where the played most of his games, he’s been trending downhill since then and has only played 27 games for three different franchises and has now been waived by a fourth team.

Where Stanley made the NHL during the 20-21 season and has played 95 games in the last two seasons.

Reactions: hn777

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Imagine if all it took to whip this team into shape from 2017-2022 was 3 weeks of Bowness barking orders. Discipline, teamwork, no drama. We'd be a much different team.
Well, if our play continues as it has these past few games, it certainly looks that way.

Our offensive stars are naturally gifted at scoring goals, and really need little direction in that way, but it sure is seeming like there was absolutely zero defensive structure during Huddy's tenure, or at the very least a supremely basic one.

I think the drama comes from complacency and adversity, both of which we have had in spades the past few years. Paul Maurice is a great motivator, but he was not a good head coach for us, and my suspicion is that there was little systems direction while he was here. The vets then took control of the team, as they were shouldering the majority of that work and the responsibility that comes with it, and that is a heavy burden as a player.

Can't help but wonder how differently things would have played out were Bowness here after the Conference Semi-Final loss... I think our (the team's) relationships with Wheeler, Scheifele and Buff would probably be better.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I see Dennis Cholowski was waived, so I don't see why the Jets should be afraid to waive Stanley because they think a team will claim him. I know they aren't going to do this, but being afraid of some guys getting claimed when across the league there are similar players getting cut too.

115 games 30pts

95 games played 17pts
But you can't teach six foot seven...:sarcasm:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

115 games 30pts

95 games played 17pts
1665062343328.png

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Well, if our play continues as it has these past few games, it certainly looks that way.

Our offensive stars are naturally gifted at scoring goals, and really need little direction in that way, but it sure is seeming like there was absolutely zero defensive structure during Huddy's tenure, or at the very least a supremely basic one.

I think the drama comes from complacency and adversity, both of which we have had in spades the past few years. Paul Maurice is a great motivator, but he was not a good head coach for us, and my suspicion is that there was little systems direction while he was here. The vets then took control of the team, as they were shouldering the majority of that work and the responsibility that comes with it, and that is a heavy burden as a player.

Can't help but wonder how differently things would have played out were Bowness here after the Conference Semi-Final loss... I think our (the team's) relationships with Wheeler, Scheifele and Buff would probably be better.

Great post. I could never quite figure out if Paul Maurice had no systems or very rigid systems that he refused to ever let go of. The few games where we played extremely well and dominated were usually the games that meant nothing and it seems like Maurice just let them play whatever they wanted and let the natural talent do it’s thing. In many ways I think they might’ve been over coached. And of course Maurice was so stubborn he would never change the way he did things.
I’m sure he’ll bring that stubbornness with him to Florida and it’ll be very interesting to see the results this year

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

115 games 30pts

95 games played 17pts

Metric conversion ..........

1665062839647.png

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Some team will pick up Stanley just because of his size. Cant teach that.

Nope. Can't teach 6'7".

Unfortunately, Stanley doesn't really use it.

I thought the Jets played some really strong 5-man hockey. Fast, buzzy, pack-o-wolvesy, forcing turnovers all over the ice and capitalizing where they could. Had the Flames younger goalie not made some quick saves, it might have been 7-8.

Had a few other notes based on following a few players, will throw them up when I can, but this was a really promising display.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

115 games 30pts

95 games played 17pts
Cholowski is a dumb ass. Skates as beautifully as anyone one in the league but passes to the other team so often I think he does it on purpose.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Why do the GDT's disappear at the end of games? Looking back only one of this seasons preseason games are visible, September 25th's game against the Oilers.

They're available, most likely further down/next page (or you've set the thread starter to "ignore"). If you click the "GDT" thread tag, it will filter to only threads with the "GDT" tag:

1665064568234.png

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It would be premature to leap to any conclusions based on a few weeks of TC - but I am beginning to wonder just how good/bad a coach (and staff) we have had for years. How different might things have been in 2018, when we had our best roster, if we had had our current coaching staff back then? Just wondering.

It will take a full regular season to really evaluate the new coaching staff and compare it to the old one. It will be interesting to watch this season unfold.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I they think Stanley would get claimed, they should trade him.
Who's the #7 then? Stanley is $350 000 cheaper in that spot than Beaulieu last season. That's a good Winnipeg savings. Maybe he gets replaced by Declan Chisholm next year, but I think he's better than Kovacevic. Or Capobianco. He knows his role and I think he'll grow into it, maybe even develop later like Ben Chiarot, but I'd keep big Stan around for this season. He's put in some good work.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Who's the #7 then? Stanley is $350 000 cheaper in that spot than Beaulieu last season. That's a good Winnipeg savings. Maybe he gets replaced by Declan Chisholm next year, but I think he's better than Kovacevic. Or Capobianco. He knows his role and I think he'll grow into it, maybe even develop later like Ben Chiarot, but I'd keep big Stan around for this season. He's put in some good work.

Cost vs benefit. If you can get a decent asset for him from a GM that still believes in his potential it might be worth more to the org then the gap between hoe much better how is as a PB dmen then Kovacevik.

The team can always call any of Heinola, Chisholm etc up to playover the pb guy anyhow so how good that player is doesn't matter much unless you get 3 or so d I juries deep.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Cost vs benefit. If you can get a decent asset for him from a GM that still believes in his potential it might be worth more to the org then the gap between hoe much better how is as a PB dmen then Kovacevik.

The team can always call any of Heinola, Chisholm etc up to playover the pb guy anyhow so how good that player is doesn't matter much unless you get 3 or so d I juries deep.
I don't know about replacing a player like Stanley. We have different optics of the game I think he offers more than Beaulieu in the same spot, as he has been able to elevate his game, in the playoffs. Kovacevic is a completely unproven NHL player. With the transition to the right side to start preseason, Heinola is definitely first up the ladder no matter the injury. After him, it's unknown waters with Capobianco, Kovacevic, Chisholm. I think the Jets can probably get forward depth through the waiver wire at no cost this preseason. I'd trade Harkins for a pick or a prospect though. I think he deserves a chance of scenery. Do you think there's any chance the Jets keep the last roster spot for Heinola and try 7 defensemen at some point?

Reactions: WolfHouse

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't know about replacing a player like Stanley. We have different optics of the game I think he offers more than Beaulieu in the same spot, as he has been able to elevate his game, in the playoffs. Kovacevic is a completely unproven NHL player. With the transition to the right side to start preseason, Heinola is definitely first up the ladder no matter the injury. After him, it's unknown waters with Capobianco, Kovacevic, Chisholm. I think the Jets can probably get forward depth through the waiver wire at no cost this preseason. I'd trade Harkins for a pick or a prospect though. I think he deserves a chance of scenery. Do you think there's any chance the Jets keep the last roster spot for Heinola and try 7 defensemen at some point?
he offers nothing physically. he's a p***ycat. he's not good defensively. we have better options offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad