GDT: Preseason Game 5: Sabres vs. Blue Jackets, 3 PM

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If someone could quote me when/if highlights are available it’d be much appreciated.

Saw the Benson goal though. Holy shit, what a stud. That’s an nhl goal, yessir.
It was scoreboard fee, so only highlights are the ones in the story on the Sabres site (from twitter).

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I really liked Levi's game once he settled in. Started very poorly, but in the past when the team would give up after 3, Levi wasn't having any of it and made some key saves to keep the game within reach.
Levi wasn't technically bad on any of those goals. His defense (incl fwds) were faulty.

I was busy most of yesterday but I have a few notes about the game.

-Coming back from a 3 goal deficit with that roster is pretty impressive.
-Even though Levi fell pretty easily (might have tripped over the net) LOVE how the team responded. Especially Cozens and Stillman jumping in immediately.
-Benson should definitely get his 9 games. Kid is our best prospect.
-Levi made some big saves to keep the game within reach
-I really enjoy the physicality Stillman brings. Made big hits in back to back games. He's the #7 in my eyes
-Kulich has almost been invisible to me, not just in this game but for most of the preseason.. He hasn't stuck out as much as I thought he would. Benson, Rosen and Johnson have been more noticeable. Hopefully he gets back to the swing of things in Roch and tears it up but he doesn't look NHL ready yet.
-VO continues to look invisible.. I'd much rather have Benson in the lineup.
VO deliberately seeks open ice to skate in. It doesn't matter where is is located in the rink. He's going there..... lol:sarcasm:

Makes for some very nice still action photos of VO with the puck tho....:help:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Levi wasn't technically bad on any of those goals. His defense (incl fwds) were faulty.

You can always find a reason why a goalie didn't make a save on GA's outside ones that are absolute clear softies. The difference between what the Sabres had last year and what they need this year is making a save when it matters. It probably mattered at 2-0 when he was beat on the third, but it REALLY mattered for the team push when he was making saves on break always and cross-ice one-timers to keep it at 3-0 - I personally thought it energized the team. We saw a little of that from UPL last year, but not enough. We haven't seen all that much of that from Comrie over his career.

IMO this could be the intangible that distinguishes Levi from the rest of the pack. From a team perspective, they have to know that if they are going to make a run at a comeback, the goalie has their back.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Can you imagine if we traded 13th for a UFA (and no cup) or Noah frickin' Hanifin.

There's a reason why fans aren't in charge!
Adams tried to trade it away for Chychrun, and I’m sure he would’ve traded it for Hanifin if he wanted to come to Buffalo and was re-signed, based on all the rumors. Word is he didn’t want to re-up in buffalo.

So I don’t think it’s necessarily that Adams is smarter than anyone - sometimes you just get lucky.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Adams tried to trade it away for Chychrun, and I’m sure he would’ve traded it for Hanifin if he wanted to come to Buffalo and was re-signed, based on all the rumors. Word is he didn’t want to re-up in buffalo.

So I don’t think it’s necessarily that Adams is smarter than anyone - sometimes you just get lucky.
True to an extent IMO. But when your window hasn't even started yet I think it's the wise choice to keep the 13th in a historic draft. That's precisely what Adams did.

Reactions: elchud

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
True to an extent IMO. But when your window hasn't even started yet I think it's the wise choice to keep the 13th in a historic draft. That's precisely what Adams did.
Then you should be criticizing Adams for trying to trade the pick. I think we would’ve been fine either way.

Benson still hasn’t played a game yet so I’d hold off on spiking the ball just yet.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015

Exactly, someone legit was gonna be there, it could have Benson, it could have been Simashev. If you are trading a top 15 pick for just another solid guy, someone that you have no guarantee will be around for more than a few years, you are doing it wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00