GDT: Preseason Game 5 - Finally on TV! - Bruins vs. Capitals - 7pm ET -NESN, NHLN, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
There were five fights on the night, with the main event being a marathon Milan Lucic-Joel Rechlicz bout. Lucic probably won it on points, but Rechlicz earned high marks for standing in there and taking huge blows from Lucic.

“I was hoping he was going to go down, but he’s a big, tough kid,†said Lucic about Rechlicz. “I guess it was a great fight and I’m sure you guys enjoyed. It’s always nice to get into one because it’s been the offseason and then having one like that, there’s probably no better way to get back into it.â€

Rechlicz instigated the fight and Lucic obliged him.

“There are a lot of cons in fighting in preseason. You don’t want to break a hand or get a concussion or anything like that,†said Lucic. “But the pros are, no matter what the game is or what the situation is, you’re going to stick up for yourself and your teammates. That’s what it basically was there. I didn’t have a choice. It was a long one. I had to catch my breath after that one.â€

Julien didn’t have a big problem with this fight. “Guys are used to playing the game a certain way and the preseason is about fine-tuning your game. It was what it was and I’ll tell you what, that guy had a steel jaw because he wasn’t going down and Looch kept giving him some pretty good punches,†he said. “It was a fight for men.†. . .

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui.../09/zdeno_chara_a_big_factor_with_power_plays

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Bit more engaged, eh?

You missed him getting robbed by Holtby late in the second then right in front of the net. Looked pretty engaged to me.

Again, it's pre-season. I want to see how the lines are working out and chemistry/cohesiveness, how conditioning levels look, how weaknesses have been worked on/improved during camp. I don't need to see which Bruin can beat Joel Rechlicz in a meaningless pre-season fight. That might have been the Caps' strategy last night.

I already know Shawn Thornton can fight and so do the Bruins. He's proved it to me (and more importantly, to his teammates and the organization) more than enough times.

Strongly agree with this and it has to be noted that BoyntBergie and I made the same observation that Rechlicz didn't take a single shift after jumping Boychuk. What was Thornton supposed to do, go fight Volpatti for winning a fight that Kevan Miller wanted to happen? I can see why people have problems with the Slovak kid but he didn't jump McQuaid, he confronted him and then Johnson decided to step in and take a pretty bad loss to a bigger opponent.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
So then why should the Bruins engage a guy that shouldn't be in the league? Hell, keep him on the ice so the Bruins can use his complete ineffectiveness as an actual hockey player to their advantage, play it like a 5-4 power play and then score. You engage him, then you have him off the ice PLUS you lose a man advantage, no?

Work smarter, not harder.

Now, as for the concerns about losing Lucic, there's just as much a chance you lose him for a spontaneous scrap that would happen regardless of whether or not Thornton's on the ice enforcing. If you're truly concerned about "losing" Lucic, you take fighting out of hockey altogether.

Or make it a non-contact sport?

I don't know what it is people exactly want here anymore.

Either way, it's evident that as Chris Kelly's game elevated this training camp, it's Shawn Thornton who's gonna be the whipping boy this week. :laugh:

I think you're taking a few different things and twisting them together.

Yes, I rather have Thornton doing the fighting in a pre-season game than Lucic, but I'm not blaming Thornton for lucic dropping the gloves.

The Bruins do engage with guys that shouldn't be in the league, see last night for example, or Thornton getting his face pounded in by Scott last season.

If they chose not to engage, skate around him, get the PP and win the game, fine with me.

I like fighting in hockey. I like Lucic fighting, I just rather see him taking someone with some ability with him, they lose that trade for 5 every single time.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I think you're taking a few different things and twisting them together.

Yes, I rather have Thornton doing the fighting in a pre-season game than Lucic, but I'm not blaming Thornton for lucic dropping the gloves.

The Bruins do engage with guys that shouldn't be in the league, see last night for example, or Thornton getting his face pounded in by Scott last season.

If they chose not to engage, skate around him, get the PP and win the game, fine with me.

I like fighting in hockey. I like Lucic fighting, I just rather see him taking someone with some ability with him, they lose that trade for 5 every single time.

That's the problem for Looch ... there is literally no one in the league like him. Backes I guess maybe?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
That's the problem for Looch ... there is literally no one in the league like him. Backes I guess maybe?

Reminds me a bit of when Neely used to have to fight tomato cans all the time.
Let Thornton handle guys like the clown last night, he was looking for Looch. Sometimes you have to fight, sometimes you need to skate away.

2ka RasK*

Paille - Campbell - Thornton

Has the cycle and puck possession game down. They play heavy and wear down opponents while chipping in offensively. What more could you want from a fourth line?

Bump

Because this post is so sexy.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yeah my friend who's second team is the Bs wants to go to Bruins/Sharks when they're out here. Should be fun IF I go probably a few hundred few the tickets tho.

My daughter lives just North of San Francisco and is flying home for that game (Oct 24th) She picked up the seat right next to us :).

She has a 10-pack to the Sharks games.

The Sharks are her second team...B's will always be #1.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

My daughter lives just North of San Francisco and is flying home for that game (Oct 24th) She picked up the seat right next to us :).

She has a 10-pack to the Sharks games.

The Sharks are her second team...B's will always be #1.

4 of my friends second team is the Bruins
2 of my friends first team is the Bruins(mainly cuz of Lucic)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I hate staged fights and there was never a moment in that game for him to fight - I was there and watched him expecting to join in; but no one went looking and he just played. It's not like he ain't willing and in a street fight I'd take him over 99.9% of NHL players where he can bring grappling into the fight

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
So an ECHL goon picks fights with core guys like Lucic and Boychuk and people don't have a problem with our fighter letting that go withut any sort of incident? Seriously? Obviously our boys can handle themelves but come on Do your ****ing job Shawn, preseason or not. ...Take Recker on for crying out loud...at least get in his face. Stir something up. Make your presence known. That's all.

I believe Lou and you and I and Colt are the only ones who are questioning our enforcers role on this team.

I will say though that I love the guy and overall is a very good hockey player for our so called goon...but I do wish he'd take the so called code sometimes and shove it where the sun does not shine...kind of like what Scott did against Toronto.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Second teams are a foreign concept to me. It's Bruins or bust.

My daughter has always been a B's fan but she missed seeing hockey live and is a fan of Big Joe T so she has a 10 pack for the Sharks. The B's will always be her #1 so she will go to any B's games in San Jose with her B's garb on.

She does miss going to the games in Boston and shows up for some of the games . She always goes to the game with me the day after Thanksgiving to sit in her old seat. Also we meet somewhere every year for an "away" game .

This year we are going to Toronto. It will be my first visit there. I am looking forward to seeing the game and the Hockey Hall of Fame. Plus Toronto looks like a nice city.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
When did Scott get his arse handed to him other than Colton Orr?
The thing is no one is afraid of Shawn Thornton. Thornton doesn't scare anyone in this league anymore...hell a 5'10'' 180 pound Zac Rinaldo fought him last year.

You have to keep in mind that Thornton is 6'1''-6'2'' 215, he simply can't hang with Scott. A - He's too small, B - He doesn't hit hard like Colton Orr.

The Bruins carried Jay Pandolfo around like a suitcase last year for god sake.

Just last season, Orr dropped him with a body shot that had Scott skating hunched over all the way to the box. Fraser Maclaren got a decision against Scott last season, and Carkner fought him to a draw imo also. Scott's saving grace is his height/ reach.. He absolutely is not a talented fighter. Similar to Chara, average fighter who relies soley on reach advantage.

On another note, does it really matter if anybody is "afraid" of Thornton? As long as Thornton is out there and answers the bell when an opposing player takes liberties with the B's skilled players. Can you honestly say Thornton wouldn't go at Scott if he'd pulled a stunt like that with Krejci? I have no doubts that he'd jump in fists blazing. You can question his age, you can question wether or not his pulgist skills are declining, but you can't question his heart & character. Thornton seems like a solid teammate, I'm willing to guess the guys in the lockeroom aprecciate what he does.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
My daughter has always been a B's fan but she missed seeing hockey live and is a fan of Big Joe T so she has a 10 pack for the Sharks. The B's will always be her #1 so she will go to any B's games in San Jose with her B's garb on.

She does miss going to the games in Boston and shows up for some of the games . She always goes to the game with me the day after Thanksgiving to sit in her old seat. Also we meet somewhere every year for an "away" game once a season.

This year we are going to Toronto. It will be my first visit there. I am looking forward to seeing the game and the Hockey Hall of Fame. Plus Toronto looks like a nice city.

It is a nice place to visit, and that's a big compliment coming from a Western Canadian :nod:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I saw the McQuaid fight but I'm wondering if anyone has a link to the other fights that took place?

There was a Blues fan who posted the fights almost right after they happened, right in this very thread. Can't remember the name (MumpsWaffle or something), but all you have to do is backtrack through the GDT.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I can understand that. Looch is very easy to like.

Yeah my 2 friends and I form Triple A cuz we all have A as our first name. One of them started the Bs with me a few years ago and went to Boston with me and saw 2 games. Became a big Lucic fan. The other I think felt left out and has started to watch the Bruins.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I believe Lou and you and I and Colt are the only ones who are questioning our enforcers role on this team.

I will say though that I love the guy and overall is a very good hockey player for our so called goon...but I do wish he'd take the so called code sometimes and shove it where the sun does not shine...kind of like what Scott did against Toronto.

I have been

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Nah, I guess I`m in a bit of minority here when I say I lose absolutely zero sleep when it comes to wondering if this team is tough or not.

Fights are lost by every scrapper, good scrappers lose, Thorty was clocked by the perfect punch, if it had of been nothing more than a grapple fest, we wouldn`t be yakking about this now.

I`ll ask again, is this kind of a roster move/aquisition or whatever necessary when, come playoff time, the goon/enforcers never see the ice?

Agree completely. Scott threw a lucky punch that landed just wrong for Thornton. Thornton can handle Orr who can handle Scott, so . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad