GDT: Preseason game 4: Stars @ Avs - October 1, 2023

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think Tufte has to make the team, he has all the tools and is flashing them well

It's his ability to use his size offensively and to drive to the net, the only risk to playing him on the 4th line is that you have to wonder if 1st line AHL time would unlock that top 6 potential - he's looked that good

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think Tufte has to make the team, he has all the tools and is flashing them well

It's his ability to use his size offensively and to drive to the net, the only risk to playing him on the 4th line is that you have to wonder if 1st line AHL time would unlock that top 6 potential - he's looked that good
Also wonder if he'd get claimed if put on waivers this week...

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
What's his backstory? Is he just a 1 time wonder at camp living on a dream?

Is he just a really good fit in CO and things are clicking?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What's his backstory? Is he just a 1 time wonder at camp living on a dream?

Is he just a really good fit in CO and things are clicking?
Tufte? If so, it takes longer for power forward-esque players to develop because it can take multiple years to eventually grow into your body and become comfortable with it. Plus, add in the fact that on top of that, he was always drafted as a long-term project. Granted none of Avs drafted players have turned into anything amazing, but every team tends to lose one or two lads which becomes something since their drafted team gives up on them and needs an extra year or two to figure out/adjust their role (happens to every team in the NHL though).

On top of that, there is definitely some "I have to perform" fire lit under players' arses when they get traded or move to another club. When you get drafted, especially as a first rounder there tends to be a comfortable side that enters you knowing that you are a property of a team for at least the next three to five years and maybe even longer. When a team gets rid of you, it could awaken that internal drive that got him drafted in the first place, knowing that you can't take advantage of the situation anymore. That's exactly what happened to Nuke IMHO, he thought he could take advantage of being part of an NHL team and it made him soft inside. When Sakic signed him, he knew this was his last chance to make it or break it in the NHL and that pressure told him he had to take it seriously to the point he works out after almost every game. With all that written, we ain't expecting Tufte to turn into a 20-goal scorer, we all have projected on the bottom two lines and for a reason.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tufte was a high risk, high reward bet on talent back in the day. Just has never put it together. He isn’t likely too here either, but he’s not a run of the mill scrub either.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Have we ever had a real big guy who could be actually useful? Seems like we’ve had a lot of giants but mostly stiffs and I definitely can’t remember anyone like Tufte on the Avs. Big Z is the only one that comes to mind but my memory ain’t what it used to be. I think Tufte finds a home in Colorado, hopefully Denver.

Reactions: xAvsx89

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I think if Tufte proves he can hang that changes the Avs mind. Not sure if he drops the mitts but he's fits the role of big physical presence. They've clearly soured on him a bit, moving him to F. No one will claim him so they can still waive him in Colorado/close contact with the big club and first injury call-up
Teams will claim him every team needs a face puncher
Tufte? If so, it takes longer for power forward-esque players to develop because it can take multiple years to eventually grow into your body and become comfortable with it. Plus, add in the fact that on top of that, he was always drafted as a long-term project. Granted none of Avs drafted players have turned into anything amazing, but every team tends to lose one or two lads which becomes something since their drafted team gives up on them and needs an extra year or two to figure out/adjust their role (happens to every team in the NHL though).

On top of that, there is definitely some "I have to perform" fire lit under players' arses when they get traded or move to another club. When you get drafted, especially as a first rounder there tends to be a comfortable side that enters you knowing that you are a property of a team for at least the next three to five years and maybe even longer. When a team gets rid of you, it could awaken that internal drive that got him drafted in the first place, knowing that you can't take advantage of the situation anymore. That's exactly what happened to Nuke IMHO, he thought he could take advantage of being part of an NHL team and it made him soft inside. When Sakic signed him, he knew this was his last chance to make it or break it in the NHL and that pressure told him he had to take it seriously to the point he works out after almost every game. With all that written, we ain't expecting Tufte to turn into a 20-goal scorer, we all have projected on the bottom two lines and for a reason.
Good points, bed at has remarked that they liked him and thought he had showed a ton of potential dating back to last year

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Tufte was a high risk, high reward bet on talent back in the day. Just has never put it together. He isn’t likely too here either, but he’s not a run of the mill scrub either.
What makes you think he won’t here. He’s been clearly noticeable, albeit against what is mostly AHLers

He passes my eye test and the little advanced metrics I’ve seen seem to back that up.

What am I not seeing

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Yeah, Tufte kind of reminds of of Tage Thompson before he broke out a few years ago. Big, strong and has skill. Maybe not as talented but he is certainly impressing in the pre season so far.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, Tufte kind of reminds of of Tage Thompson before he broke out a few years ago. Big, strong and has skill. Maybe not as talented but he is certainly impressing in the pre season so far.

I havent seen his dangles or hockey sense like tage Thompson. But his shot with that height is underrated. Good speed too.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

Sorry I couldn’t resist

Attachments

• IMG_8434.png
    IMG_8434.png
    246 KB · Views: 4

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Funny the pick after him was Tage Thompson which turned out but still not for the team who drafted him.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What makes you think he won’t here. He’s been clearly noticeable, albeit against what is mostly AHLers

He passes my eye test and the little advanced metrics I’ve seen seem to back that up.

What am I not seeing
He's older and hasn't shown signs of it really coming together prior. Last season was his best AHL year and he was just an okay middle 6 player at that level. It is pretty unusual to have a jump at 25 from that level to say a 3rd line guy. As a guy who transforms into a 4th liner, not real uncommon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Funny the pick after him was Tage Thompson which turned out but still not for the team who drafted him.
I recall the hate that Thompson got in that ROR trade too... It took him WAY too long to get going, but back in his draft year and after, you could clearly see his talent. He's a real rarity though. Most guys have shown who they are 23/24... not break out to arguably a top 10 player in the league.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel for Tufte if he doesn't make this club. He's done everything asked of him and Bednar has praised him, he's scoring goals in preseason, going hard to the net.

If he gets sent down to the AHL he might lose a lot of confidence he seems to have gained here.

Given Pavel seems like Bednar's preferred 4C and he is hurt, I don't see why they can't start out with a 4th line of Tufte - Cogliano - O'Connor.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad