GDT: Preseason game 4: Stars @ Avs - October 1, 2023

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
I feel for Tufte if he doesn't make this club. He's done everything asked of him and Bednar has praised him, he's scoring goals in preseason, going hard to the net.

If he gets sent down to the AHL he might lose a lot of confidence he seems to have gained here.

Given Pavel seems like Bednar's preferred 4C and he is hurt, I don't see why they can't start out with a 4th line of Tufte - Cogliano - O'Connor.
Olofsson will most likely be the 4C to start the season.

And as much as I would like to see Tufte get his shot based on what he has done this preseason, him getting to start the season on the Avs probably comes down to if Cogs is healthy enough to start the season.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So we're all just assuming that everyone will be healthy to start the season? Come on, we know better than that. Tufte will be on the opening night roster whether we like it or not

Reactions: Gumballhead

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So we're all just assuming that everyone will be healthy to start the season? Come on, we know better than that. Tufte will be on the opening night roster whether we like it or not

It's more about the cap though. Someone would have to be injured enough to go on LTIR. Potentially Franky like Richard noted in another thread, but we'll see.

Otherwise, if MacD is on the roster, then they only have cap space for a 22 man lineup with one of the guys (likely Olofsson) at 4C, and then another heathy scratch with MacD.

If it's two guys making league min like Olofsson, Tufte, or Meyers on the roster, that gives them $525k in LTIR space. So not enough for a 23rd guy.

If someone is just injured and on the IR it won't help them with the cap.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I feel for Tufte if he doesn't make this club. He's done everything asked of him and Bednar has praised him, he's scoring goals in preseason, going hard to the net.

If he gets sent down to the AHL he might lose a lot of confidence he seems to have gained here.

Given Pavel seems like Bednar's preferred 4C and he is hurt, I don't see why they can't start out with a 4th line of Tufte - Cogliano - O'Connor.
Unless bedmnar has drastically changed his mind he doesn’t wants cogs at center and has said so.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think they'll probably go with Olofsson or Pavel at 4C, but if the difference between losing someone like Tufte to waivers, and keeping him, was playing Cogs at center just to start the season, I would think/hope they would do that. I doubt the ultimate team player in Cogs would tell them no.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
The Avs don't want Cogliano at center, and he doesn't really want to play there either.
That's unfortunate. More than any of the 4th C options, I think the Avs would be a lot better with Tufte on 4th line wing and Cogs in the middle. However, if the Avs and/or Cogs really don't want to play C, then he's pretty much shit out of luck until someone goes down with an injury.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We are a pretentious sort of people here in colorado everythings bigger in Texas derp derp
I lived all over as a kid but spent a lot of that time in Texas. And they do drink the Texas Kool-Aid down there. They kind of teach/indoctrinate Texas pride in the school system (or at least did back then).

Anyways, I think you might appreciate this. I remember in the 80s shortly after it was created there was a big Dept of Ed conference hosted at UT in Austin. Texas' Govenor at the time, Mark White, was boasting about how big Texas was in some of his opening comments and then they cut to a guy asking him, Mark, how big did you say Texas was, and he told him was x number of square miles, and the dude is like, well hell Mark, my school district is larger than your state. Turned out he didn't realize he was talking with Alaska's governor at the time and just got burned on the nightly news. It was funny as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad