GDT: Preseason Game 4: Sabres at Penguins 7 PM

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Far more than the last 2 preseason games ... it's just a point of discussion going into a big year for the team. I think Tage has huge potential to be a takeaway king in this league. His long reach can be used as an advantage in all areas more effectively. Just become harder to play against which I think he has in him. He was absolutely electric last year, but still left me wanting a bit more overall. I guess I'm spoiled.

I don't disagree that this is partially on the system/coaching the Sabres have been playing. The coaching staff has the challenge of getting these guys to tighten up just a bit, without sacrificing all of their offense. We don't need a Ralph Krueger system, just something in the middle while remaining aggressive.

Again, if our d-core becomes more steady and we get better goaltending it may not matter much. I can't see us being worse with the additions, as well as the subtractions from the starting lineup. If you can recall, we had Boosh (while injured), Fitzgerald, Clague and Bryson playing a good portion of games and sometimes all of them. That's four #7 or worse level guys playing. I'm very optimistic that addition by subtraction will make us much more difficult to beat when healthy. A third pairing that doesn't get run over every night will be huge for shift to shift momentum. Having guys like Ryan Johnson and Nikita Novikov in the wings will help during injuries.
A lot of us wanted a bigger talent on the backend over the summer but there's no doubt we're going into this season with a much better 6 and depth.

Reactions: Dingo44

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No, it was saying that a player who has assembled, organized, and proven highly effective one of the most rare and challenging collections of "tools" in hockey history, has "no toolbox." If he meant to say "Tage's all-around game still needs work," there would have been zero push back, but that's not what happened. Players with "no toolbox" crash out of professional sports because they cannot access their "tools" to be productive enough to provide value.

Critique of critique is... critique. It's literally the thing that we're doing here. If you didn't expect some razzing for dogging a star player for a few lackadaisical plays in the preseason, we might just not be on the same page.
I'm all for critique and criticism of my posts.. something I expect and look forward to.
No, it was saying that a player who has assembled, organized, and proven highly effective one of the most rare and challenging collections of "tools" in hockey history, has "no toolbox." If he meant to say "Tage's all-around game still needs work," there would have been zero push back, but that's not what happened. Players with "no toolbox" crash out of professional sports because they cannot access their "tools" to be productive enough to provide value.

Critique of critique is... critique. It's literally the thing that we're doing here. If you didn't expect some razzing for dogging a star player for a few lackadaisical plays in the preseason, we might just not be on the same page.

I expect critique. I don't expect to be called a whiner for raising legitimate points. The fact that it's a preseason game shouldn't make a difference when it's something I see as an ongoing problem.

At least address my points is all im saying.

Anyways I don't like to harp on shit so I'm moving on.

Reactions: HOOats

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Apparently I'm a whiner because I give my thoughts on a particular player.

It's just very much a classic "Beerz from Broadway" WGR55 hot take.
I'm all for critique and criticism of my posts.. something I expect and look forward to.

I expect critique. I don't expect to be called a whiner for raising legitimate points. The fact that it's a preseason game shouldn't make a difference when it's something I see as an ongoing problem.

WGR550 calls it the Whiner line. It wasn't meant to say you're whining - it's more about the HOTT TAKEZ that the GR55 callers tend to spout...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's just very much a classic "Beerz from Broadway" WGR55 hot take.

WGR550 calls it the Whiner line. It wasn't meant to say you're whining - it's more about the HOTT TAKEZ that the GR55 callers tend to spout...
All good brother. I'm over it.

I'm just ready for the season!

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Idk man. I think we have to be careful conflating defensive IQ with just maybe leaving the zone a little early or being ready to push up ice. They just haven't necessarily prioritized d zone play in return for moving up ice. I'm assuming you're using more than his last 2 preseason games as a sample.
I think there is something to what you are saying here. When Donnie first moved Tage to center, I was impressed initially with Tage's defense. From middle ice he would see a puck coming around the boards and with two strides get to the side wall and beat the opposing point man to the puck, shield the puck with his body and find a pass to safety. The downside is it vacates the center of the ice defensively, requiring the far side winger and dman to be aware and shift coverage. After 10ish games or so he wasn't doing it so much. I have to believe it got coached out. If he is doing what the coaching staff is asking him to do, then its not poor defensive IQ.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think there is something to what you are saying here. When Donnie first moved Tage to center, I was impressed initially with Tage's defense. From middle ice he would see a puck coming around the boards and with two strides get to the side wall and beat the opposing point man to the puck, shield the puck with his body and find a pass to safety. The downside is it vacates the center of the ice defensively, requiring the far side winger and dman to be aware and shift coverage. After 10ish games or so he wasn't doing it so much. I have to believe it got coached out. If he is doing what the coaching staff is asking him to do, then its not poor defensive IQ.
That's what I saw too from a couple years back so it leads me to believe he just has a different mindset of making himself available to push the puck up ice instead of riding the puck carrier. Hopefully there's a an even better balance for him this upcoming season.

Reactions: Bendium

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
UPL looks same as last year. There is size and talent there, but he still doesn't see the play developing, so he is not ahead of the play. His biggest problem is he loses focus, like he just can't concentrate very long. He gets beat by easy shots sometime because he didn't expect the shot. I saw no improvement in his first game.

Comrie looked solid. Nothing special, but solid. He is a more reliable bet as a backup, for a team trying to make the playoffs that cannot be losing points to inconsistent goaltending. You are already going to have Levi in the development role.

Still think they should trade UPL and bring in a reliable vet goaltender to pair with Levi.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

hot preseason takes arent legitimate points, and thats why no one responded seriously

that goes for the bills, Sabres, Bisons, Regals AA and for every poster that responds to something in a preseason game

if you want to make a hot point about a player, a preseason GDT is a bad place and has always been a bad place to get it taken seriously

Reactions: Dingo44

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
hot preseason takes arent legitimate points, and thats why no one responded seriously

that goes for the bills, Sabres, Bisons, Regals AA and for every poster that responds to something in a preseason game

if you want to make a hot point about a player, a preseason GDT is a bad place and has always been a bad place to get it taken seriously

Jesus Christ. 😆

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad