GDT: Preseason Game #4 | Buffalo Sabres @ Toronto Maple Leafs | Time for Another Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
It's 3:50 AM here and I woke up because something I ate didn't agree with me. I'm glad I did so I could catch a bit of the game. It's clear that the guys are trying new systems which is a lot of fun to watch. More importantly, I know it's just pre-season but the general hustle and effort level is higher than we've seen in most regular season games over the last while.

It makes me wonder if we'll turn into an overachieving team (for what we have) and start to be known as one of the harder working teams in the NHL.

Babs at work.

Compete level is up because guys are vying for jobs and they have a new coach to impress. Will be interesting to see the effort level in game 30, 60, and 80.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We also should move Polak. If he gets outperformed by one of Percy, Loov or Harrington, he should be a prime candidate to ship out to make a roster spot and because he could fetch an acceptable return.
yeah, but im sure at worst we get a 3rd for him, at best a late 1st from a sucker, but the great thing with him is he is a 4/5/6 rite now who can establish value for himself, and he is only signed for one more year, he is gone after that and opens a spot for a young defender, however robidas is here for 2 more years while he is a 7/8 rite now

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's 3:50 AM here and I woke up because something I ate didn't agree with me. I'm glad I did so I could catch a bit of the game. It's clear that the guys are trying new systems which is a lot of fun to watch. More importantly, I know it's just pre-season but the general hustle and effort level is higher than we've seen in most regular season games over the last while.

It makes me wonder if we'll turn into an overachieving team (for what we have) and start to be known as one of the harder working teams in the NHL.

Babs at work.

I could see the Leafs overachieving this year as teams will underestimate their hard work some nights.

But they'll struggle to score on other nights too

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
They really need to hurry and send Marner back to the Knights. All this is doing is ruining his confidence. He can't keep playing in these games.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
He was treated fine. Media wasn't great, but a lot of fans wanted the Leafs to roll out the red carpet for him at 18-19 years old. He wasn't as good as Nylander is right now at the same age.

I agree. Kadri was always a little off in his first couple camps. Nylander has shown much better at the same age.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We also should move Polak. If he gets outperformed by one of Percy, Loov or Harrington, he should be a prime candidate to ship out to make a roster spot and because he could fetch an acceptable return.

But just look at the Marlies top 5 next year:

Percy-Granberg
Loov-Harrington
Brennan

That last guy can be Valiev, Fraser, Campbell, Nicastro, Holl, etc. It doesn't even matter, that top 5 is amazing.

I don't get why we signed Hunwick for two years. :shakehead I hope we can move him with two years left at the TDL this year.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He was treated fine. Media wasn't great, but a lot of fans wanted the Leafs to roll out the red carpet for him at 18-19 years old. He wasn't as good as Nylander is right now at the same age.
He was the best player in camp coming out of his draft year. I'm hopeful Nylander turns out to be better, but as an 18/19 year old in camp Kadri was fantastic.

Wasn't a matter of rolling out the red carpet, more were frustrated with the yo-yo garbage and lack of actual direction/reason for it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They really need to hurry and send Marner back to the Knights. All this is doing is ruining his confidence. He can't keep playing in these games.

:laugh: It's his second game.

Second.

You want them to pull him from the line up during it?

Kid needs to know what it's going to take to become an NHLer

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
so to recap - that ' s 3 powerplay goals + 1 shorthanded goal

ooho yeah.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

He's not even playing that badly man. I'm sure he knows he's not making it this year, and is only here to pick up some extra games and practice sessions under our coaching staff. I highly doubt a few preseason games will shatter his confidence. If anything it will help him realise what needs to be added to his game for next camp.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Long story short, it didn't matter how good Kadri played when he was up, Wilson would say he had "bad habits" and send him down. Oh and Wilson also had some obsession with playing Kadri on the wing (on a line with scrubs I should add), even though he was clearly better at center.

I can't count the number of times rotten Ronnie through him under the bus.

And the current management suspended him for the same. Where there's smoke and here is often fire. I hope kadri gets his priorities in line.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I think Marner is just trying to do too much, he did the same thing last year with London to start the season.

He'll be fine, it's just a case of thinking too much and doing more than he needs to.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

If he's as mentally fragile as this comment suggests, he ain't becoming anything regardless of how he's coddled. A taste of being a little over his head simply sets goals to reach for improvement.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Alright, 3 more minutes and I get to go watch Andrew Nielsen on Lethbridge

It'll be about as brutal as the Leafs. They've got some good young talent, but Nielsen is their version of Phaneuf compared to the rest of their core.

Scout Skinner, their goalie. I hope he plays. That kid is going to be one of the best in the WHL. Hopefully he can hold himself together behind a weak defense this year. Otherwise, they've got Davis and some other good young forward to look at. I think that's about it.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
He was the best player in camp coming out of his draft year.

Wasn't a matter of rolling out the red carpet, more were frustrated with the yo-yo garbage and lack of actual direction/reason for it.

The best? That's just not true at all. He was still trying deke everyone and losing many pucks because of it. Not to mention how light on his skates and how weak he was on the puck. He showed promise, but he's a much different player today than at that age. A much better player.

If anything, it was fans frustrated at the lack of talent on the Leafs roster and wanting more sooner than later. There were some lean years for skill before he was drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad