GDT: preseason game 3 vs tampa again

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
This is true. HF, as well as NHL, as well as other "pundits" all rank Travis Sanheim as one of the top 15 prospects in hockey right now. Reading the Flyer's board, there's a very real possibility that he goes back to the AHL for another season this coming year. I've been in a mode of "wait and see as we won't know what we have for many years" with respect to Fleury, but it's hard when you see the guys picked right after him, Nylander and Ehlers putting up 60+ point seasons and displaying offensive skill that, outside of Skinner, doesn't exist on the Canes.

I remember reading the Leafs management talking about that draft saying they knew they'd be able to get either Ehlers or Nylander when the pick came and they were very surprised when the Canes took Fleury leaving them with their choice. Not that Fleury wasn't picked about where many people hand him ranked, just that they viewed Nylander and Ehlers as much more talented players and fully expected the Canes to take one of them, leaving the Leafs with the other.

That's the nature of the draft. Sometimes, you get lucky with a Skinner, Faulk, Aho, Slavin, Pesce and hopefully Necas type, sometimes you end up with Ryan Murphy or Zach Boychuk. Fleury will probably fall somewhere in between.

I think you're being marginally unfair to Aho here. I watched a good bit of both teams last year and honestly Aho isn't very far from Nylander at all.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I watched on my phone so the quality wasn't great, but they look so much better than the previous ones. AINEC.

And the photo you posted was gorgeous. I really wish the NHL would let both teams wear their dark uniforms more than just in outdoor games.

I wish they'd have really done the flags instead of the halfway two tone thing but you can't even see them once the players are moving. But yes definitely better than the previous incarnation

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think at this point we are pretty committed to waiting out a big defenseman trade until next offseason. We will have a better idea of what we have, if people are talking about how good Bean is this year it might mean he has a legit shot next year, and at that point we will know what we have in Fleury and Hanifin. From there we can figure out who's on their way out.

The progression, hopefully successful, with Fleury was D+1 year - back to juniors - focus on defense, D+2 - back to juniors - be one of the best players on your team, D+3 - learn to be a professional.

For all intents and purposes, Haydn Fleury followed this pattern and has been the better player for it. Despite numerous whispers of "draft bust", he has made steady, even impressive progress. After his first rookie's camp, Fleury was told he needed to work on his defensive technique; he did. While his offensive numbers suffered a bit, his coaches commented on his improved defensive skills and his burgeoning leadership. Sent back to juniors the next season and Fleury, well, flourished. Sure he was big and experienced, but he also potted 12 goals, double the previous year. Maybe most importantly he had an excellent post-season. Fast forward to last season with the Checkers where he got off to a slow start, almost certainly because of the knee injury received while at the Traverse City tournament. Paired with a cast of characters, Fleury came on at the end of the season and was universally regarded as the Checker's best defenseman.

All this is to say that (and I believe others have said this before) Haydn Fleury has followed what used to be the traditional path for not just defensemen but for NHL players. You finish your junior career, you move up to the AHL, and you prove your mettle during that process. It is exactly what he's done. If what we've seen so far this pre-season is any indication, he looks ready to make the jump.

Jake Bean should and would merely be following that same path. His D+1 season back with the Hitmen was marred by an early season injury only to see him become a point per game blueliner upon his return. Bean appears to have put on a few pounds and added confidence. But he's not ready for the NHL by any stretch. He's still a little overwhelmed at times, especially by the speed of the game. Another full season in juniors where he can dominate and have more of a leadership role on his team will set him up for next season, where I would expect to find him as one of the top 4 blueliners in Charlotte. He'll again add muscle and skill. Add to this that Bean just turned 19. If he had been born 10 days later he would have been in the 2017 draft class.

The upshot of this long-winded post is that I don't expect Bean in Raleigh for a minimum of 2 more years. There's no need to rush him nor is there a need to trade one of our other blueliners for a forward. We've got some nice talent coming up front and plenty of assets to make a move should it be required.

I think you're being marginally unfair to Aho here. I watched a good bit of both teams last year and honestly Aho isn't very far from Nylander at all.

I love me some Aho too. Skill-wise and likely hockey sense-wise Aho is in the same league. He's not quite there yet, but he'll be coming.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah. From an overall game standpoint, I agree with you. From strictly an offensive skill standpoint, I think Aho isn't quite in Nylander's category.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Surprised we haven't seen anymore camp cuts yet.

Probably goes to show how much depth we have and how many guys we have competing for spots.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Necas playing on the wing with Skinner & Ryan at practice today. Looks like they're gonna have Ryan & Necas battle it out on the ice together.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Probably goes to show how much depth we have and how many guys we have competing for spots.

At least a few other teams are doing this as well- I think it may just be a shift in coaching philosophy (I know the Leafs are, maybe a Babcock thing?). Keep as many guys for as long as you can so that you can get a bigger sample size in practice to see what the AHL guys can do. One of Peters' earlier interviews this year talked about how a number of prospects were essentially theoretical to him, since he never gotten to see them play or practice because they were sent down before he got to camp from the WCOH. I think he's just trying to see guys and reduce the wear and tear on the regulars.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Peters has commented multiple times in post-game interviews that all the penalty calling is having an impact on some of the evaluation process because there are guys that are not on either the PP or PK units that then sit for almost the whole period. I expected earlier cuts than last year at the outset as well, but I think the enforcement changes to the faceoffs and slashing is throwing a wrench into those plans for a lot of teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad