GDT: Preseason Game #3 | Detroit Red Wings vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | 7:30 PM ET

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Looks like a really nice performance from Pulkkinen. Good, he needed that. I like the speed he showed on his 2nd goal. Hope he can keep it going into the season and have a flying start.

Good stuff from Larkin and Bertuzzi as well.

Lol at the 3-on-3 though. Mantha and Pulkkinen out against Malkin? Ouch.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Great start for Pulks in the preseason. Looking forward to a trimmed down roster now and where he might fit in.

I don't think anyone's grabbing a hold of the open spot on the back end but Jensen has two good games now. With Marchenko somewhat disappointing and Ouellet injured this could be his big chance. But that would just mean he makes the team, not necessarily that he plays over Kindl.

Personally, I'd take Jensen over Smith at this point. He's okay at best and still makes boneheaded plays frequently.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Looks like a really nice performance from Pulkkinen. Good, he needed that. I like the speed he showed on his 2nd goal. Hope he can keep it going into the season and have a flying start.

Good stuff from Larkin and Bertuzzi as well.

Lol at the 3-on-3 though. Mantha and Pulkkinen out against Malkin? Ouch.

Mantha at least has the size to play against Malkin.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
All the kids looked great, except I thought Mantha was pretty much invisible all game.... Would be nice if he could figure out how to have a bigger impact game to game than he has thus far. He looked good the other night, but not so much last night.

Pulkkinen had a great game. Hopefully he gained a bit of confidence in his performance and is able to carry it forward.

Larkin... what can I say, he makes me as giddy as a school girl.

Kenny and Blash are going to have their hands full getting these guys into the Detroit roster over the next few seasons. Who are they going to push out?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Personally, I'd take Jensen over Smith at this point. He's okay at best and still makes boneheaded plays frequently.

Smith looks like he fits Blashill's system. Kindl's looked rougher in general, and Quincey doesn't seem to fit yet. It's early, and the kids in general seem to more intuitively get what Blashill wants. Most of the vets seem to be playing catch-up still.

One play that stood out to me last night was Sproul on the powerplay, though. I don't remember who the forward was, but he threw a high hard pass back to the point, and you could see he thought the pass was too high and hard and that they'd be chasing it back to the other end. Sproul casually knocked it down with his stick, gathered possession, and they kept on the attack. It was the sort of move we haven't seen consistently since Lidstrom, and before that Murphy. If only that kid could put his game together.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Smith has been the best D-man in both the games he has featured in thus far.... So not sure why you would be targeting him unless it is just past dislike. Looks like a great fit with Blashill who I hope will move him up the lineup shortly into the season.

Now is not the time at all to pull the plug on Smith. Love that Blashill is using him on the PP too, FINALLY!!!!!!!

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
All the kids looked great, except I thought Mantha was pretty much invisible all game.... Would be nice if he could figure out how to have a bigger impact game to game than he has thus far. He looked good the other night, but not so much last night.

Pulkkinen had a great game. Hopefully he gained a bit of confidence in his performance and is able to carry it forward.

Larkin... what can I say, he makes me as giddy as a school girl.

Kenny and Blash are going to have their hands full getting these guys into the Detroit roster over the next few seasons. Who are they going to push out?

Hopefully Abdelkader, Helm, Andersson, miller, Richards will be gone to make room. Dats will be gone, Zs role will be reduced to 3rd line. That's 4-5 spots opened up depending on whether we resign Abby or not. If we do I want him here for no longer than 3 years.... Bert is going to be so much better than Abby. Franzen will still be around too right?... ****

Edit: this is 3 years from now

Last edited:

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Smith looks like he fits Blashill's system. Kindl's looked rougher in general, and Quincey doesn't seem to fit yet. It's early, and the kids in general seem to more intuitively get what Blashill wants. Most of the vets seem to be playing catch-up still.

One play that stood out to me last night was Sproul on the powerplay, though. I don't remember who the forward was, but he threw a high hard pass back to the point, and you could see he thought the pass was too high and hard and that they'd be chasing it back to the other end. Sproul casually knocked it down with his stick, gathered possession, and they kept on the attack. It was the sort of move we haven't seen consistently since Lidstrom, and before that Murphy. If only that kid could put his game together.

Saw that too and also thought of Lidstrom. Not that I think Sproul is going to put it all together unfortunately. Didn't realize it back then as much, Lidstrom made everything look so routine, but what a difference things like that made. It was so hard to get the puck behind him, whether you were trying to clear the ozone or dumping into the wings dzone. Unbelievable eye hand coordination.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Smith has been the best D-man in both the games he has featured in thus far.... So not sure why you would be targeting him unless it is just past dislike. Looks like a great fit with Blashill who I hope will move him up the lineup shortly into the season.

Now is not the time at all to pull the plug on Smith. Love that Blashill is using him on the PP too, FINALLY!!!!!!!

True I suppose, albeit he's been featured in games with only AHL dmen. I used to be a fan, and had high hopes for Smith, but he seems to be the classic player who has tools and no tool box. I hope he turns it around this year under Blash, but I'm tired of his scrambliness in our zone.

I do agree that it might not be the best time, value wise, to part ways.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wasn't able to watch last night. How did Franzen look? Any hesitation or sluggishness from him?

Looks cautious, as others have said.

Did have a couple plays where he did push the play and made things happen.

Hard to determine how he will play all season after that game, though.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

That was Sheahan who made that absurd pass. But Sproul handled it like it was nothing. Extremely impressed with him. I thought Sproul had a great game. I kinda wish he took a few more shots with his cannon.

He also had a couple of breakout passes that really impressed me. His D didn't look too rough although we were on the attack almost the whole game.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Real good game for the kids. I thought Pulks, Larkin and Bert all took steps forward while Mantha was on the quiet side. Jensen and Smith continue to play well, which is good. I hope these guys keep it up as the rosters get shorter. My expectations of Franzen were pretty low but he showed flashes of impactful play. I think it will take a good 15-20 games for him to really get back to form.

Kenny is going to have some very difficult decisions to make over the next couple of years.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Larkin, Pulkkinen, Bertuzzi could be a 3rd line in the NHL RIGHT NOW. No doubt in my mind that could be an effective line in the NHL already. I know, I know, small sample size, and this is the preseason, but still, some of those plays were absolutely unreal.

Bertuzzi is a stud. I remember when I was disappointed when the Wings piicked him so high in the draft. Was I ever wrong. It'll be a damn shame if Cleary is given a roster spot over guys like Larkin or Bertuzzi.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That was Sheahan who made that absurd pass. But Sproul handled it like it was nothing. Extremely impressed with him. I thought Sproul had a great game. I kinda wish he took a few more shots with his cannon.

He also had a couple of breakout passes that really impressed me. His D didn't look too rough although we were on the attack almost the whole game.

Sproul has an absurdly high ceiling. Like RedMachine, I think the odds him putting it all together are pretty slim at this point, but he appears to have the right coach for it in GR this year.

Saw that too and also thought of Lidstrom. Not that I think Sproul is going to put it all together unfortunately. Didn't realize it back then as much, Lidstrom made everything look so routine, but what a difference things like that made. It was so hard to get the puck behind him, whether you were trying to clear the ozone or dumping into the wings dzone. Unbelievable eye hand coordination.

Jamming the play up at the opponents blueline is something I'm really liking about Blashill's game so far. It seems like he encourages the blueliners to step up and, if not hold the puck in, to hold the play there and force the other team to either scrum for it then and there, or to try to force a play across the ice to get away from pressure. I know we're going to get burned occasionally, but I like the idea of us trying to take the game to the opponent, rather than falling back and playing rope a dope.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Marchenko has done nothing. I really think based on the preseason so far Jensen should start as the 6th dman. He skates so well it kinda adds a different dimension to the back end that the wings havent had in a while (Green helps too). Hopefully this play from Smith keeps up as well, he looks like hes a loowed to be more mobile in the new system and its really helping his game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad