GDT: Preseason Game #3 | Detroit Red Wings vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | 7:30 PM ET

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That was Sheahan who made that absurd pass. But Sproul handled it like it was nothing. Extremely impressed with him. I thought Sproul had a great game. I kinda wish he took a few more shots with his cannon.

He also had a couple of breakout passes that really impressed me. His D didn't look too rough although we were on the attack almost the whole game.

Really? I mean he looked alright, but for a guy who's main asset is his cannon of a shot, I seem to recall he flubbed a shot and missed the net quite a few times. Maybe he meant to miss the one to rebound to Pulks for his goal, but eeeeh.
Jamming the play up at the opponents blueline is something I'm really liking about Blashill's game so far. It seems like he encourages the blueliners to step up and, if not hold the puck in, to hold the play there and force the other team to either scrum for it then and there, or to try to force a play across the ice to get away from pressure. I know we're going to get burned occasionally, but I like the idea of us trying to take the game to the opponent, rather than falling back and playing rope a dope.

I love this strategy and it works best when your forwards recognize it and bust ass to cover you. What usually ends up happening is even if the puck gets past the pinching d-man, he slows up the breakout enough where the puck goes past and can be retrieved by our unimpeded forwards who then quickly transition. I love it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Marchenko has done nothing. I really think based on the preseason so far Jensen should start as the 6th dman. He skates so well it kinda adds a different dimension to the back end that the wings havent had in a while (Green helps too). Hopefully this play from Smith keeps up as well, he looks like hes a loowed to be more mobile in the new system and its really helping his game

It almost seems hard to deny, IMO.

Unfortunately I don't see Holland dumping Q or Kindl...

loudernow*

Miele was second in forward ice time last night and was invisible.
Blash is going to have to do something to sell this 27 year old rookie to management.
I'm thinking he'll get a third game Saturday.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Blash is going to have to do something to sell this 27 year old rookie to management.

I dont think Miele was invisible. I thought he was pretty visible and made couple nice plays. if Babcock had his players, Miele seems like Blashil type of player, based on the system Blashil runs.

However, I have doubt as to whether his play will translate to NHL regular season game as other teams will get hell alot more aggressive and he will not nearly have enough to time execute his moves.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Who says Blash is trying to "sell" him to anyone?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It almost seems hard to deny, IMO.

Unfortunately I don't see Holland dumping Q or Kindl...

The way things look I'm not sure it's worth to dump anyone for the opening night roster. Jensen has looked rather good, yes, but I don't view him as better than Quincey/Smith or whoever is considered the #6 right now. Ouellet has not played yet obviously, hopefully he can get into action next week.

Just so we're clear, we are seven Ds already without any of the kids. So just dumping Kindl doesn't do much of anything. They still have to bump Quincey or Smith out to play.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The way things look I'm not sure it's worth to dump anyone for the opening night roster. Jensen has looked rather good, yes, but I don't view him as better than Quincey/Smith or whoever is considered the #6 right now. Ouellet has not played yet obviously, hopefully he can get into action next week.

Just so we're clear, we are seven Ds already without any of the kids. So just dumping Kindl doesn't do much of anything. They still have to bump Quincey or Smith out to play.

Yup. Jensen making the team is a huge pipe dream.

As with most years, there's not enough room for there to actually be competition for spots. The 6 d spots have been decided for months, regardless of what any of our prospects were going to do.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Who says Blash is trying to "sell" him to anyone?

I wonder if they didn't tell him he'd get a longer look this year, with a new coach and what not. I think it's clear he wasn't going to get it under Babcock, so this was their way of trying to do right by him.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Jamming the play up at the opponents blueline is something I'm really liking about Blashill's game so far. It seems like he encourages the blueliners to step up and, if not hold the puck in, to hold the play there and force the other team to either scrum for it then and there, or to try to force a play across the ice to get away from pressure. I know we're going to get burned occasionally, but I like the idea of us trying to take the game to the opponent, rather than falling back and playing rope a dope.

Obviously I liked what I saw offensively from Wings last night. yeah maybe more turnover will occur and other team's foward will get behind our D alot more this season but I think the tradeoff is worth it. If our D is aware and play safe, oddman rushes and turnover should not happen.

my concern is D zone coverage in how they have so many guys high up in order for us to breakout fast. Defensibly having 2 guys up there is kinda bad idea and we saw little bit of that last night as there were alot more room for Pens forward. maybe if those 2 guys high up are slighltly more separated side ways it would be better, giving more coverage. Still I think this should not have cause too much troubles during the season. If anything I think Wings 'could' go up higher in standing compared to previous seasons. I'm just slightly worried about how this will work in playoff. It's one goal games in playoff and it will be tough to defend like this. Even if Wings have 2 Lidstroms I dont think it's just humanly possible to be air tight in D zone. also I didnt like how our PK kinda congregate in middle.

still it was just one game in a preseason and execution may not have been perfect. overall I think Blashil's system suits our players slightly better over 82 game schedule.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

It happens less than you think because of the straight lanes the forwards play on the back-check. The D can step up because the forwards don't chase the play, they race back in fairly straight lines clogging the ability to cross ice pass giving the D-man the chance to hold the line easier. At least that has always been my opinion watching the Griffins in terms of a tweak, LA plays similar at the NHL level.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Wait, people honestly believe Miele has a chance of making this roster, or that Blashill and management are even considering him? He's an AHL player through and through. He got ice time because the game was over after the first period.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Wait, people honestly believe Miele has a chance of making this roster, or that Blashill and management are even considering him? He's an AHL player through and through. He got ice time because the game was over after the first period.

I was just replying to a comment he was invisible which he was not. a lot of players were very visible last game but it is easy to look good when they are just hammering the other team. It was kinda hard game to evaluate players because it did not really resemble regular NHL game.

As for his chance, hell i dont know. I dont watch griffins so I dont really know how he plays under various circumstances but I think he has more chance with Blashil than Babcock.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was just replying to a comment he was invisible which he was not. a lot of players were very visible last game but it is easy to look good when they are just hammering the other team. It was kinda hard game to evaluate players because it did not really resemble regular NHL game.

As for his chance, hell i dont know. I dont watch griffins so I dont really know how he plays under various circumstances but I think he has more chance with Blashil than Babcock.

He doesn't have a real shot at the NHL, not with the other baby Wings doing what they are doing.

Blashill's tendency to play guys up the lineup out of position actually mirrors Mike Babcock in terms of they are generally complementary heavy guys. Meile is a top 6 guy and a good one at the AHL level, he just doesn't have the skill or athletic ability to offset his deficiencies at the NHL level. No shame on him, honestly if the rubel wasn't in the toilet he should be making a couple million a season playing in the KHL.

Meile is a solid organizational player though, he will help the Griffins a lot this year and our young guys down there. Blashill does like him as I believe he was his primary recruiter at Miami of Ohio, but not enough to campaign a spot for him. At least that is my opinion and he has never really shown the kind of love affair with him that would indicate he will bump guys out of the way for him, but I am glad to have Meile in the organization for sure.

It is worth noting one of our bubble boys in Andersson is somebody Blashill gave a letter to at one point. That might be the guy you see him campaign to keep as the 14th forward even if he slightly loses a competition in terms of somebody to worry about this playing out with.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Loudernow is an avid hater of Jeff Blashill and has been for years for some reason. Replying to his comments are pointless.

loudernow*

Per Ansar Khan
Miele centering Jurco and Cleary
Called it
If Miele is for organizational depth, why sign him to a one way

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Per Ansar Khan
Miele centering Jurco and Cleary
Called it
If Miele is for organizational depth, why sign him to a one way

He is one of the top players in the AHL. He was going to get paid no matter who signed him. He is a very valuable guy for an AHL team and playing with one of the top offensive centers in the AHL is good for the development of our winger prospects.

loudernow*

I find it amusing you think he's going to the A.
Denial is a powerful friend.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I think they are either giving Miele a serious look, or giving him the chance to put on a good audition for other teams. Blash seems to really like him from what I remember reading.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad