GDT: Preseason Game 3: Avs @ Knights - Revenge of the B Team

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well we're certainly going to get a good look at Francouz lol if they start Fluery, we won't be getting a goal. Hopefully we can keep it to 5-0 or something. Then again I'm sure Stastny and Patches are looking forward to putting up some goals for their new team. Could get pretty ugly.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
There's 12 players in tonight's lineup that played NHL games for the Avs last season.

I get that the lineup tonight doesn't include the Avs top scoring line or it's top 2/3 d-men or it's top goaltender, and they probably should lose; however, they should at least be able to compete a little bit. The last game against Minnesota the Avs didn't even look competitive. They didn't look all that competitive in the 1st game against Vegas either and they had a number of their top players playing.

I'm not expecting the Avs to kick butt in the pre-season games but they need to at least be competitive. There's a number of players in each of the pre-season games that are going to be on the NHL roster this year. I expect at least those players to be competitive.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There's 12 players in tonight's lineup that played NHL games for the Avs last season.

I get that the lineup tonight doesn't include the Avs top scoring line or it's top 2/3 d-men or it's top goaltender, and they probably should lose; however, they should at least be able to compete a little bit. The last game against Minnesota the Avs didn't even look competitive. They didn't look all that competitive in the 1st game against Vegas either and they had a number of their top players playing.

I'm not expecting the Avs to kick butt in the pre-season games but they need to at least be competitive. There's a number of players in each of the pre-season games that are going to be on the NHL roster this year. I expect at least those players to be competitive.

They played, but they’re almost all depth guys. Our depth is sub-par as it is. Stacking them up against other teams top lines isn’t going to be pretty at all.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The 1st Vegas game wasn't as lopsided as the score indicated. Shots were 30-25.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
This is great for our goalies confidence... Playing an NHL team with a bunch of rookies and expecting to get a read on how they can play.

Also, this preseason schedule is absolutely horrid. Why are some teams playing their 5th/6th game and the Avs are on their 3rd?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Another one of these games, huh? Hopefully it doesn't get held against these guys when it comes to evaluating them. Bednar singled out Girard and Kamenev as two players who stood out in a positive way against the Wild so I think he knows what's up and the result may not matter too much.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
So pointless to play these games if BOTH teams aren't going to have most of their prospects playing.

You mean a team that went to the finals last season is going to smack around an AHL caliber lineup. No way!!! Who would've guessed?

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
wow I'm totally out of the loop, because I had no idea who this Komaschuk guy is. had to look on hockeydb.

on a side note, I'm sad Hjalmarsson won't be playing. he was quite good, according to the stats at least, on the past game.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Honestly....who made the pre-season schedule? It's ridiculous. The Knights are playing their fifth pre-season game tonight. They're obviously now getting ready for the regular season to start. Hence why they are basically going with their starting lineup....just like Minny did. Meanwhile the Avs are just going to play their third pre-season game and once again a group of AHLers and secondary NHLers will probably have the front door kicked in.

Really not a fan of the imbalance. Seems tough to evaluate the Avs players when they're against such odds, and I question how much teams like Vegas and Minny really get out of these games. I know the Avs are trying to evaluate their fringe players, but I really wish they'd sprinkle a few more veterans in to try to make things more competitive. We saw it against Minnesota...things just got progressively worse as they were just completely overmatched. I think Grubauer for one just basically gave up. Kinda easy to do when you've got this:

Graves - Alt
Boikov - Lindholm

In front of you against a full quality NHL top 6.
Yeah, I made the same remark earlier in another thread.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
wow I'm totally out of the loop, because I had no idea who this Komaschuk guy is. had to look on hockeydb.

on a side note, I'm sad Hjalmarsson won't be playing. he was quite good, according to the stats at least, on the past game.
LOL, I'd say the standout performer on the night, mate ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad