Post-Game Talk: Preseason game 2 vs Blues 9/18 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe because Kempny is coming back I feel a little better? I feel the loss of 2 years ago Nisky, but I don't think we'll be any worse than last year. I think we'll see a better Djoos too.

Kempny is coming back from a major injury. Orlov is stepping up to a new role. Jensen is supposed to replace Niskanen's minutes. Gudas is new to the team. Djoos was also seriously injured. Seigenthaler is not an established NHL player yet. Then there are the rookies.

I am not saying that I think trouble is coming. Its just that for years the Caps have had Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Orpik who were all known quantities. Its really different this season

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Little point in worrying about maybes you have no control over. I'm less concerned about the defense on paper than their overall system play and whether they'll get high level two-way output from 92/20 and a productive enough fourth-line.

Panik looked pretty good from what I saw. A promising debut, even if I remain somewhat bearish on the combo of Eller & Hagelin being enough overall. They really need those two middle six centers carrying play.

Why be concerned over the overall system and whether they"ll get high level two way output from 92/20? We have no control over that either.

The defense is more of an unknown than we talk about. That's all I am saying. I will let you fight the, "we are expecting too much from Kuzy" conversation.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This defense crew is entirely in flux and I am surprised more aren't nervous about it.
Nervous? I'm excited about it.

Sure, the relatively stability of the past few seasons was nice, but that was never going to last forever. Orpik is retired, Niskanen was in decline, and young prospects were pushing their way into more playing time. And we saw last year that the stability had morphed into rigidity. The defense proved woefully incapable of handling injuries and declining play, with Orlov/Niskanen no longer the reliable pairing it had been in past seasons and Carlson's pairings bleeding shots/chances/goals against at an unmatched rate.

This is an opportunity, both for younger players trying to prove their worth, and for the team as a whole to get a new look on defense. They have an $8M D that many on this board claim to be a Top 5 D in the NHL. They have a $5.1M D that has played a shutdown role on a Stanley Cup champion, that you believe could be a 1D on many teams, and that many believe (myself included) is one of the better value D's in the NHL. These are foundational pieces they can build around. They have plenty of options and capable defensemen to build around on the back-end, and some fluidity in pairings doesn't have to be a negative thing. They aren't counting on Tyler Sloan or Taylor Chorney or Jack Hillen or Tyson Strachan or Steve Oleksy to play on their blueline. This D will go as their cornerstones go and as the team's defensive systems go. And hopefully having more capable options will allow the coaching staff to find pairings that work in a variety of situations, and give them options when a player gets hurt or slumps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nervous? I'm excited about it.

Sure, the relatively stability of the past few seasons was nice, but that was never going to last forever. Orpik is retired, Niskanen was in decline, and young prospects were pushing their way into more playing time. And we saw last year that the stability had morphed into rigidity. The defense proved woefully incapable of handling injuries and declining play, with Orlov/Niskanen no longer the reliable pairing it had been in past seasons and Carlson's pairings bleeding shots/chances/goals against at an unmatched rate.

This is an opportunity, both for younger players trying to prove their worth, and for the team as a whole to get a new look on defense. They have an $8M D that many on this board claim to be a Top 5 D in the NHL. They have a $5.1M D that has played a shutdown role on a Stanley Cup champion, that you believe could be a 1D on many teams, and that many believe (myself included) is one of the better value D's in the NHL. These are foundational pieces they can build around. They have plenty of options and capable defensemen to build around on the back-end, and some fluidity in pairings doesn't have to be a negative thing. They aren't counting on Tyler Sloan or Taylor Chorney or Jack Hillen or Tyson Strachan or Steve Oleksy to play on their blueline. This D will go as their cornerstones go and as the team's defensive systems go. And hopefully having more capable options will allow the coaching staff to find pairings that work in a variety of situations, and give them options when a player gets hurt or slumps.

I hear you. Any and all of that can be true. If the Caps are losing games because of a defense in disarray, don't whine about it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hear you. Any and all of that can be true. If the Caps are losing games because of a defense in disarray, don't whine about it.
I’ll whine about what I want to whine about, tyvm. :laugh:

The Caps defense was in disarray last year, too. I like this better than persuading no-knees Orpik to play another year and letting Niskanen continue to fold. That doesn’t mean I have to be pleased if it doesn’t pan out, and especially if I don’t agree with utilization of players.

Reactions: Corby78

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kempny is coming back from a major injury. Orlov is stepping up to a new role. Jensen is supposed to replace Niskanen's minutes. Gudas is new to the team. Djoos was also seriously injured. Seigenthaler is not an established NHL player yet. Then there are the rookies.

I am not saying that I think trouble is coming. Its just that for years the Caps have had Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Orpik who were all known quantities. Its really different this season

Orpik is easily replacable and Gudas is better than Niskanen. The only guy I don't like is Jensen but he hopefully won't see too much action.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

I see logic behind @Hinterland post:

- GM traded Niskanen for Gudas -> Gudas is better than Niskanen.
- 40 years old 6/7D is easily replaceable.

Everyone can agree/disagree/or ignore it

I find your reaction to his post classless. It is my opinion. And I do not give likes to classless/bad taste one smiley post things.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Gudas brings a different game than Niskanen, which also helps with losing the grit that Orpik brought to the game. It also may open a door for a young D to develop, especially since the young D are somewhat similar to the Niskanen skillset.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I’ve had to seek counseling for my concerns over this years’ D.

It’s hard to admit when you need help. But I had sunk so low that I absolutely needed the lifeline that only qualified professionals provide.

“Who’s Kempny’s ideal partner?”

“Sick wheels, but is Jensen any good?”

“Do I want to look at Gudas’ face for an entire 82 games?”

“Did Djoos really hit the weights this time?”

“Is Carlson top-5?”

“How bad am I gonna miss Orpik?”

And on and on and on...

I had tried venting my concerns on several hockey message boards. I had even tried the WaPo comments section. Sorry guys, but it just wasn’t enough for me.

There was nowhere else to turn.

I had to call Tex, MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad