GDT: PreSeason Game #2: Sabres @ Blue Jackets; 7 PM ET

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So apparently they have been practicing without any respect for the game

Should be a fun season ahead

Says that there will be new looks for sure on Thursday

Edit: is he saying more that they arent gameplanning rather than bad practice habits?

Refreshing to hear from a coach that knows what happened, how they ended up in that situation, and (hopefully) what to do in order to address the deficiencies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I’m going to agree with this. But there were still issues about his game tonight that I feel Casey needs to improve upon before the season begins. If by game 5 of the preseason he’s looking like this, then I’d start thinking hitting the panic button. Until then, these first 2 games is for Baseline Testing for the coaches.

Based on these first two games, I feel as though they should have their roster for the season set by game 4. If we’re going into game 6 with the thought process of “seeing what you have” with certain guys I probably will start worrying about the year.

This team more than any team needs to find the chemistry and dive head first in getting the players playing the structure at a regular season pace as soon as possible to work out the bugs.
Kruger noted in the pre-game that they have the preseason broken down in 3 phases and this game marked the end of phase 1. Even though he said that didn't necessarily mean they will send players down, I suspect the roster to look a little ore settled from a pairing and line standpoint during the next two games.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Casey was our #1 center tonight getting heavy minutes and struggled badly in those minutes/role.

He and Sam were 1 and 2 in 5v5 ice time among all players

#1 Sam —> 17:39
#2 Mitts -> 17:19
#3 McCabe -> 17:18

They were also #1 and 2 in overall minutes.

#1 Mitts —-> 23:22
#2 Sam —-> 23:18
#3 McCabe -> 21:49

I don’t envision Mitts getting anything like this role or minutes (or the matchups that come with it) once the regular season starts.

But I do like that Krueger challenged him and Sam like this. Let’s see how they respond.

It wasn’t the results from playing those minutes that matter me. If he got kicked in on the statistical front but played hard, was winning battles, able to breakthrough guys to get to the puck, shield guys away from the puck, then I’d consider the night a success. It’s HOW Casey played those minutes that mattered to me.

He was getting shielded from the puck, his acceleration is was not there, he looked lethargic and slow to respond to plays on the ice. He was bumped off the puck quite easily. I was hoping he would have a little more strength to deal with the NHL players. He looked just like last year where I feel he was out of shape and not in game time shape. I said earlier that this was a game to see the results of Mittelstadt's offseason workout routine. For the first test, it didn't look good.

Reinhart didn't play all that well as well. But I've seen enough games from him to know he'll bounce back. For vets like him, Eichel, Girgs, and Larsson, I wouldn't be shocked to hear they used these games as getting their skating up to speed in gametime situations. I feel there's a lot more that Casey needs to prove to show what type of professional he can be when he's NOT around the guys.

Last edited:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
B- Ralph reminded me of Nolan during the postgame. Can't put my finger on it really; something like an epiphany this is a 1 season job. Obviously he knew that when he accepted the job, but the reality he may not create a miracle season hit him like a brick.

U- i understand it's just preseason, still bothered that nobody looked like they were pushing for a roster spot. stars didn't play and nobody used this opportunity, nobody stepped up. Game 1 star roster quit in the 3rd, beta roster was content to scoot about. Not feeling upside to the merging of scooters with quitters.

Reactions: kundahlini

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So apparently they have been practicing without any respect for the game

Should be a fun season ahead

Says that there will be new looks for sure on Thursday

Edit: is he saying more that they arent gameplanning rather than bad practice habits?

He meant just drills without game planning.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I wouldn't exactly call the first and second game rosters balanced with talent. My hope is these next two games the lines and pairings are evenly split 50/50 with potential season-opener lineups. Just looking at the roster from last night, the bolded (by my count, 5 players) are the ones that are pretty much guaranteed a spot, and the underlined (2) are marginal NHLers that are already known to be underperforming and should be fighting for their jobs.

Here's the roster:
Forwards
15 Jean-Sebastien Dea
17 Vladimir Sobotka
20 Scott Wilson
21 Kyle Okposo
23 Sam Reinhart
25 Arttu Ruotsalainen
37 Casey Mittelstadt
49 C.J. Smith
68 Victor Olofsson
73 Matej Pekar
74 Rasmus Asplund
82 Kyle Olson
Defense
3 William Borgen
10 Henri Jokiharju
19 Jake McCabe
44 Brandon Hickey
45 Casey Fitzgerald
62 Brandon Montour
78 Jacob Bryson
Goaltenders
35 Linus Ullmark
36 Andrew Hammond

Compare that to the PIT game where you have 12 NHLers, and really no other forward (ok, maybe you could argue Larsson or Girgensons) that is not at least a fourth liner:

Forwards
9 Jack Eichel
13 Jimmy Vesey
22 Johan Larsson

27 Curtis Lazar
28 Zemgus Girgensons
42 Dylan Cozens
43 Conor Sheary
52 Andrew Oglevie
53 Jeff Skinner
71 Evan Rodrigues
72 Tage Thompson
81 Remi Elie
Defense
6 Marco Scandella
8 Casey Nelson
10 Henri Jokiharju
26 Rasmus Dahlin
33 Colin Miller

44 Brandon Hickey
58 John Gilmour
Goaltenders
34 Jonas Johansson
40 Carter Hutton

Reactions: Dingo44

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Still if given the opportunity I would trade Mitts for a good 2C now so we can win with Eichel and [Insert Name] while Cozens develops properly.

Mitts is holding us back from competing if they want to keep playing him at center.

I don't think it's Mittelstadt that is holding us back from competing. If anything it's the coaches' and GM that are making the decision that NEED to see him at the center position so soon, that are holding us back. In fact, they are holding HIM back from getting acclimated to the NHL game. There's nothing stopping them from acquiring a 2C at cheap for a short period of time, and sliding him into Casey's current spot, and then developing Mittelstadt on the wing, at the very least if it's REALLY necessary to have him in the NHL, until he's up to speed with the game.

I'm not ready at all to trade him away. That would just be another talent in our forward ranks that was traded away due to impatience.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think it's Mittelstadt that is holding us back from competing. If anything it's the coaches' and GM that are making the decision that NEED to see him at the center position so soon, that are holding us back. In fact, they are holding HIM back from getting acclimated to the NHL game. There's nothing stopping them from acquiring a 2C at cheap for a short period of time, and sliding him into Casey's current spot, and then developing Mittelstadt on the wing, at the very least if it's REALLY necessary to have him in the NHL, until he's up to speed with the game.

I'm not ready at all to trade him away. That would just be another talent in our forward ranks that was traded away due to impatience.

He should have been able to break into the league last year like Roy was able to back in the day behind the Co-Caps.

Last off season Botts made a trade to make that not an option. And this off season he didn't make a move to make it an option.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

My thoughts on the people running this team are on the record, but I need to point out if getting a non joke #2 center cheap was that easy it would've been done.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
My thoughts on the people running this team are on the record, but I need to point out if getting a non joke #2 center cheap was that easy it would've been done.
That interview with ERod where he refers to himself as a number 2 center is concerning.

Reactions: Tatanka

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

At a time where teams are trying to shed salary/contracts, or players looking for cheap short contracts, Buffalo could've went after a few guys in that manner. Maybe trade with Minnesota for as guy like Staal for example. It's very apparent that they are going at glacial pace with building a team to be competitive.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
The Mitts/Sam line did not have a great game collectively. Though I think Samson had a better game than Mitts, it certainly wasn't anything I would call a good game, and as a whole that line was disappointing.

The main thing to me is that this line combo in the preseason is more about another test to check on the viability of using Mitts as a 2C this season, rather than an even assessment of each each individual player. This assessment is a lot more about Mitts than Sam, even though it's certainly not fair to pin a disappointing performance on that line just on him. We know that Reinhart has can play and produce in a top 6 role and that he can facilitate the performance of others because he has repeatedly shown it over the course of actual seasons. There is zero reason for concern there. That isn't the case with Mitts.

I don't think Mitts is holding us back. I think depending on him in a role he isn't ready for will hold the team back again should it come to pass. There's more time before the season starts and one game should be taken for what it is, but I personally don't think there's been much evidence to this point in his career to show he is likely to be able to perform as a 2C in a capacity that will help the team.

I think the team really needs to do what is best for both Casey individually and the Sabres collectively and put him in role he's more ready for and that will be easier for him to develop in.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
That interview with ERod where he refers to himself as a number 2 center is concerning.

He’s probably the best option there, which is insane. The GM didn’t do his job and fill an extremely important position. We’re going to be icing the same team as last year, plus VO, Vesey, and Miller, which is so damn depressing. Any improvements will have to come from development...again.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He’s probably the best option there, which is insane. The GM didn’t do his job and fill an extremely important position. We’re going to be icing the same team as last year, plus VO, Vesey, and Miller, which is so damn depressing. Any improvements will have to come from development...again.
"Probably" is most likely, but not certain. Asplund and (this terrifies me) Cozens are also going to get strong looks.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Mittelstadt may not be ready for the NHL in any capacity. His skill set is his vision, stick handling and passing--but his skating first step and straight line are barely adequate and he gets bumped off the puck easily. He is unable to win battles for the puck and his shot is hardly elite. I had high hopes for him but he has not progressed in any meaningful way. I just do not see him as a winger at the nhl level but he may still be an ok centre if he develops--and maybe the AHL is where he needs to learn. I sure do not want to give up on him but he has to be better than he was last year or what we saw last night.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
"Probably" is most likely, but not certain. Asplund and (this terrifies me) Cozens are also going to get strong looks.

Asplund is ready for NHL, and should make the team based on what we’ve seen so far, but not 2C. He would need the role/minutes Casey will be getting so I don’t really see a spot for him.

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
Skinner and Eichel are strong enough together to have someone like Vesey/ERod/Sheary on their line and still drive the play in all situations. Mittelstadt needs strong wingers and easier matchup to succeed. Larssons puck possession and defensive responsibility can be used to provide one way goal scorers with good chances despite tough matchup if put with another quality wing, very strange this hasn’t been really used yet. A fourth line could then see limited ice time and ease in Asplund with vets.

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey
Rodrigues - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Johansson - Larsson - Olofsson
Girgensons - Asplund - Sheary

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Asplund is ready for NHL, and should make the team based on what we’ve seen so far, but not 2C. He would need the role/minutes Casey will be getting so I don’t really see a spot for him.

I'm not sure Asplund is ready for the NHL just yet. I'd like to see an uptick in his role and minutes in the AHL to see if he can handle an increased workload in terms of responsibility. He's on a good path right now. There's no need to rush him.

Reactions: Sabreality

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Skinner and Eichel are strong enough together to have someone like Vesey/ERod/Sheary on their line and still drive the play in all situations. Mittelstadt needs strong wingers and easier matchup to succeed. Larssons puck possession and defensive responsibility can be used to provide one way goal scorers with good chances despite tough matchup if put with another quality wing, very strange this hasn’t been really used yet. A fourth line could then see limited ice time and ease in Asplund with vets.

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey
Rodrigues - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Johansson - Larsson - Olofsson
Girgensons - Asplund - Sheary

You couldn't ask Mittelstadt for more favorable minutes, and he did nothing with them. He needs his development put back on the right path. We shouldn't be double-downing on treating him the exact same way as it was last year. He should be sent down to the AHL. Or at the very least be sent to the pressbox more often to learn the game from the pressbox. At this point, I think I'd rather trust Thompson at the spot that Mittelstadt is in right now than Casey. He has already shown he has a better grasp on playing the center position better than Mittelstadt.

I'd do:

Skinner - Eichel - Girgensons
Johansson - Reinhart - Olofsson
Sheary - E-Rod - Vesey/Mittelstadt/Thompson
Asplund - Larsson - Okposo/Smith

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm not sure Asplund is ready for the NHL just yet. I'd like to see an uptick in his role and minutes in the AHL to see if he can handle an increased workload in terms of responsibility. He's on a good path right now. There's no need to rush him.

He looks ready to me, although I’m not trying to imply it’s the best development path for him. But selfishly I’d much prefer to watch him over the likes of Sobotka, Vesey, Wilson, Girgs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad