Smith had some jump
Borgen is calming

B: Columbus announcers
Columbus feed
Pretty much the rest of it

U: This game in general. :thumbd:

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
This was incredibly boring. I don't know if there was much to "learn" from this one, but I did not like Mittelstadt and Reinhart together. It sounded like a good combo, but it was not.

EDIT: just looked at the numbers for Reinhart/Mittelstad/Smith and...f***in yikes eh. Montour, too.

Last edited:

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
So apparently they have been practicing without any respect for the game

Should be a fun season ahead

Says that there will be new looks for sure on Thursday

Edit: is he saying more that they arent gameplanning rather than bad practice habits?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Edit: is he saying more that they arent gameplanning rather than bad practice habits?

They weren't game planning for the Columbus Blue Jackets. They were doing drills and building chemistry and starting to figure out what they had and start to implement some fundamentals.

Which I'm sure you knew but that's not as fun a narrative.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Not sure if others noticed, but if you refreshed the VLC link around the middle / end of the first period it reverted to the Sabres announcers.

Still had the crappy CBJ video feed and graphics at times, but at least we started to learn that there was a 2nd team on the ice tonight.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Pretty much the bolded. Not worrying about matchups or game planning for specific opponents.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Generally, I agree with the "it's preseason, who cares?" approach. However, in this case, the allegedly new-and-improved Casey Mittelstadt getting steamrolled so badly was noteworthy to me - that's all.
That also means “he can carry a line from the wing” Reinhart got steamrolled as well.

Maybe, just maybe we shouldn’t get too wound up over this.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
That also means “he can carry a line from the wing” Reinhart got steamrolled as well.

Maybe, just maybe we shouldn’t get too wound up over this.

I’m going to agree with this. But there were still issues about his game tonight that I feel Casey needs to improve upon before the season begins. If by game 5 of the preseason he’s looking like this, then I’d start thinking hitting the panic button. Until then, these first 2 games is for Baseline Testing for the coaches.

Based on these first two games, I feel as though they should have their roster for the season set by game 4. If we’re going into game 6 with the thought process of “seeing what you have” with certain guys I probably will start worrying about the year.

This team more than any team needs to find the chemistry and dive head first in getting the players playing the structure at a regular season pace as soon as possible to work out the bugs.

Reactions: joshjull

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Sabres look to build on positives after preseason loss in Columbus

COLUMBUS, OHIO - Phase 1 of Buffalo Sabres training camp is in the books.

Earlier in the day, before the Sabres flew out to Columbus to play the Blue Jackets in their second preseason game of 2019-20, head coach Ralph Krueger said he and general manager Jason Botterill will be evaluating the group after every two preseason games.

With Buffalo's 4-1 loss to the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena on Tuesday, the players will enter an off-day while the hockey department staff will begin discussions about how to best proceed with training camp.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I hope he ends every presser with that "have a good trip home" sign-off

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I’m going to agree with this. But there were still issues about his game tonight that I feel Casey needs to improve upon before the season begins. If by game 5 of the preseason he’s looking like this, then I’d start thinking hitting the panic button. Until then, these first 2 games is for Baseline Testing for the coaches.

Based on these first two games, I feel as though they should have their roster for the season set by game 4. If we’re going into game 6 with the thought process of “seeing what you have” with certain guys I probably will start worrying about the year.

This team more than any team needs to find the chemistry and dive head first in getting the players playing the structure at a regular season pace as soon as possible to work out the bugs.

Casey was our #1 center tonight getting heavy minutes and struggled badly in those minutes/role.

He and Sam were 1 and 2 in 5v5 ice time among all players

#1 Sam —> 17:39
#2 Mitts -> 17:19
#3 McCabe -> 17:18

They were also #1 and 2 in overall minutes.

#1 Mitts —-> 23:22
#2 Sam —-> 23:18
#3 McCabe -> 21:49

I don’t envision Mitts getting anything like this role or minutes (or the matchups that come with it) once the regular season starts.

But I do like that Krueger challenged him and Sam like this. Let’s see how they respond.

Reactions: Rasmi

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He’s not that good? Nowhere near what we thought he was going to be?
Or you guys didn’t bother to do a bare minimum of analysis and just want to beat up on Mitts with knee jerk reactions.

Mitts was asked to be a #1 all situation minute eating machine tonight. He played over 17mins 5v5, PKed and was on the PP which lead to 23:22mins overall (most on the team). He struggled badly in this role. He also had Sam on his wing who played the same amount of minutes 5v5 and overall. Sam only generated 2 shots. He struggled badly tonight as well.

But for some odd reason posters are bashing the far lesser of the two players when there is little difference in their performance. Its very bizarre. Its almost as if they came into the game wanting to be mad about Mitts.

I mean honestly neither of them should be criticized. They’re never going to be asked to do this type of thing in the season. Our lineup would have to be demolished with injuries for it to occur.

Mitts and Sam struggling in this role tonight tells us next to nothing about what they are or are not capable of in the their likely regular season roles.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Still if given the opportunity I would trade Mitts for a good 2C now so we can win with Eichel and [Insert Name] while Cozens develops properly.

Mitts is holding us back from competing if they want to keep playing him at center.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Still if given the opportunity I would trade Mitts for a good 2C now so we can win with Eichel and [Insert Name] while Cozens develops properly.

Mitts is holding us back from competing if they want to keep playing him at center.

This is quite convoluted.

You’re essentially saying we need to replace the center we traded last offseason AND acquire another one. So we need two centers but somehow Mitts playing center is holding us back .......... :facepalm:.

The thing that has held us back is multiple holes throughout the lineup and bad coaching. Its not any one player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Or you guys didn’t bother to do a bare minimum of analysis and just want to beat up on Mitts with knee jerk reactions.

Mitts was asked to be a #1 all situation minute eating machine tonight. He played over 17mins 5v5, PKed and was on the PP which lead to 23:22mins overall (most on the team). He struggled badly in this role. He also had Sam on his wing who played the same amount of minutes 5v5 and overall. Sam only generated 2 shots. He struggled badly tonight as well.

But for some odd reason posters are bashing the far lesser of the two players when there is little difference in their performance. Its very bizarre. Its almost as if they came into the game wanting to be mad about Mitts.

I mean honestly neither of them should be criticized. They’re never going to be asked to do this type of thing in the season. Our lineup would have to be demolished with injuries for it to occur.

Mitts and Sam struggling in this role tonight tells us next to nothing about what they are or are not capable of in the their likely regular season roles.
Mitts or Sam should not have struggled against CBJ’s B team. Sam didn’t have a great game but he looked like he belonged on the ice. Mitts was overmatched at every faucet and continues to look slow and out of shape.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This is quite convoluted.

You’re essentially saying we need to replace the center we traded last offseason AND acquire another one. So we need two centers but somehow Mitts playing center is holding us back .......... :facepalm:.

The thing that has held us back is multiple holes throughout the lineup and bad coaching. Its not any one player.
Wrong. What has held us back is getting rid of ROR and hoping Mittlestadt could take over 2C duties. I'm tired of waiting to see if Mittlestadt can step up which he cant, I've said it all along his game is best suited for the wing so if you can get a good 2C for Mittlestadt do it, age be damned and hope Cozens can fill that spot in a few years after being sheltered properly as 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad