GDT: Preseason Game #2 | Pittsburgh at Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
He'd be up there so we can have some balance in the top 9. We need another top 6 forward anyway so I'm not really that angry both Downie and Bennett are projected to be third liners and Dupuis is yet again flanking Sid.

As long as the forward brought in dislodges one of Kunitz or Dupuis from Sid's hip, I'm cool with whatever MJ decides to start the season.

The problem is if Bennett is on the third line that means Downie/Spaling and Dupuis are in the top 6. Getting one top 6 winger only dislodges one of that set - Downie/Spaling or Dupuis, and it is more likely to be Downie/Spaling than Dupuis.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Does Sill have to pass through waivers? I think he does but I'm not sure.

Well, theres a reason JR used Dumo in his package for Staal. The main thing with him is his decisions with the puck at the NHL level. In the AHL, he has that extra second and can make a good play. The next step and you can see some panic and brain farting going on. Harrington seems to read and react better at the NHL level.

Yeah, last season and now the preseason has been the same thing with Dumoulin. There's something not clicking there, I wouldn't even say it's all the time, you just see it enough for it to be concerning. The tools look good, though. I know it's just one game in the preseason but it's not great to see it again. Maybe he needs more time or experience at that level, maybe it's just what he is. Harrington looked promising, from what I've seen is more physical than I expected as well.

I'm impressed how many of you write Greiss' name right. Keep it up!

You're going to love it when DearDiary starts talking about Greiss. :laugh:

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
He wasn't invisible. He probably had the two best scoring chances the Pens had all night. He created space for himself a couple times. He didn't have a great game and obviously needs time, but you are being more pessimistic than those of us who thought he improved as the game went on.

I gave him a + because I could see the potential and thought he did some good things, all while keeping in mind that he is an 18 year old.
I agree. His next preseason games will do him quite a bit of good. His linemates also weren't playing too well either. I'd like to see him play with one of the two big guns before passing any sort of judgment. Kap's passing with Erhoff and Letang on the power play also looked solid too. He'll get there.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Does Sill have to pass through waivers? I think he does but I'm not sure.

Yeah, last season and now the preseason has been the same thing with Dumoulin. There's something not clicking there, I wouldn't even say it's all the time, you just see it enough for it to be concerning. The tools look good, though. I know it's just one game in the preseason but it's not great to see it again. Maybe he needs more time or experience at that level, maybe it's just what he is. Harrington looked promising, from what I've seen is more physical than I expected as well.

For Dumoulin, I'd imagine that it is hard to develop instinctual reactions, muscle memory and timing appropriate for the NHL when not playing in the NHL. I am not saying that he will be anything more than a #4-6 defender, but I think most of his problems would be solved with NHL experience.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Only malfunction I see with Dumoulin is jitters. It'll pass with experience. Just have to live with it until it's gone. And he needs Nhl games to lose them.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
We like pizza in the morning, we like pizza every day, we like pizza in the evening, we like pizza ANYWAY!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How has KK looked for you guys?

Looked tentative at times, but then again he was trying to make something happen with Goc and Downie, I think he's a kid that would thrive with Crosby or Malkin for sure. He's definitely skilled, he's so calm with the puck and seems to create time and space for himself with his puck handling skills, he's going to be very good when he matures physically a little more and maybe goes back to Europe and plays a top 6 role and in more situations.

A part of me wonders if he would make the team if he shows instant chemistry with Sid and it might not be a bad thing but with Sid and Geno hurt, not sure if that will happen. Crosby might play in the Thursday game apparently.

He wasn't playing perimeter hockey by any means, he could stand to gain 10lbs or so of muscle, but he didn't look bad really, it's 1 game and the line-up was mostly bottom 6 guys outside of him, Tanger and Ehrhoff.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Johnston still seeing the same things we are in his post interview. Refreshing to see. Will we be making cuts in the next couple days or what?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
How has KK looked for you guys?

Young and tentative, but he got into it as the game went on. The skill was visible, his skating and him with the puck looked tantalizing. Size is still needed. His next game should be more telling.

Kapanen's and Johnston's interviews are up. Him being nervous is talked about... the coach understands it happening with young players. Weird, I know. I thought Kapanen was supposed to be shipped back to Europe in a cargo ship and left for years. :dunno:

I want pizza, I like Pizza.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
We like pizza in the morning, we like pizza every day, we like pizza in the evening, we like pizza ANYWAY!

There was some weirdness going on tonight, almost like watching an AHL game. I kept expecting Wayne Van Scoy to pop up and talk to me about wedding rings and fine watches.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Just watched Ehrhoff's interview. Is it just me, or are his mannerisms and his style in the interview reminiscent of Fleury?!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Just watched Ehrhoff's interview. Is it just me, or are his mannerisms and his style in the interview reminiscent of Fleury?!

He's like diet Fleury, everything is less Fleury.

You know who sound similar? Sutter and Spaling. I had Spaling's interview open in a tab and thought it had gone to Sutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad