GDT: Preseason Game #2 | Chicago Blackhawks @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM ET

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Went to the bar to watch the game. Met a girl and missed 90% of the game lol.

Sooo who looked good and who looked bad? Fill me in guys.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
well, Helm put up 33 points last year. If Larkin did that as a rookie, it's more points than Filppula or Hudler put up in their rookie years. and a whopping two points behind what Datsyuk put up. Looking at rookie forwards last year, putting up 33 points would tied Larkin for 8th highest scoring rookie. Looking back over the past few full seasons, and it seems if you hit 30+ points, you're in the top10.

To require him to be significantly better than that, you're essentially saying he has to be put up Calder quality production just to get a roster spot.

I have to wonder what type of playing time a Larkin type player would get if he were to make the Red Wings out of camp. You mention Filppula and Hudler. In their rookie seasons, Filppula averaged 11 minutes, and Hudler averaged even less. Last season, Detroit gave Andersson, Jurco, Pulkinnen, Weiss, Nestrasil, and Cleary an average ice time in that range, and everyone else played more time than that. Theoretically, if Larkin made the team, would he get more time than that? Most players on the team that averaged in the 14+ range also put together a 30+ point pace in 2014-15, with Glendening being the lone exception.

Basically, I think if Larkin were expected to be on the team, getting what I would assume is Helm/Sheahan of 2015 type of ice time (2nd/3rd line minutes + special teams?), he should absolutely be able to put up a 30 point pace.

That is, obviously, if Larkin is good enough to make the team, of course.

On Brad Richards - he does look good, but you guys have to realize that this is preseason against a lot of secondary guys and AHL guys on the Hawks team. It's great that he was able to do well, but hold on a bit! haha. I'm pretty excited about him right now, too, though, and Green as well!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have to wonder what type of playing time a Larkin type player would get if he were to make the Red Wings out of camp. You mention Filppula and Hudler. In their rookie seasons, Filppula averaged 11 minutes, and Hudler averaged even less. Last season, Detroit gave Andersson, Jurco, Pulkinnen, Weiss, Nestrasil, and Cleary an average ice time in that range, and everyone else played more time than that. Theoretically, if Larkin made the team, would he get more time than that? Most players on the team that averaged in the 14+ range also put together a 30+ point pace in 2014-15, with Glendening being the lone exception.

Basically, I think if Larkin were expected to be on the team, getting what I would assume is Helm/Sheahan of 2015 type of ice time (2nd/3rd line minutes + special teams?), he should absolutely be able to put up a 30 point pace.

And we should probably be pretty happy if he did do that. Like I said, looking at rookie forwards across the league, putting up 30+ points is pretty darn good. And outside the top3 rookie forwards who broke 60 points last year, the others who broke 30 points also played in that 13-15 minute range (the top3 all played more than 17 minutes a night, which I can't see happening with Larkin unless there were significant injuries).

I get the impression that expectations for how he should produce get out of whack at times, and are much different from what we expected in the past. Putting up 30-35 points is a very nice year for a rookie forward.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Ya didn't miss much. It didn't even look like the boys were trying for the most part. That being said...

Z didn't look good at all

Richards-Tats duo looks like it might have some serious chemistry. Brich in particular looked way better than I expected (he looks like he might end up being a great signing).

Abby looked good. gonna score another 20 goals this season I'll predict.

Mrazek looked better than Jimmy. Obviously Mrazek had a better blue line in front of him though, so make of that what you will.

Green-DDK need more time to get used to each other.

Kroner looked like Kroner, which is good.

Kindl :shakehead

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ya didn't miss much. It didn't even look like the boys were trying for the most part. That being said...

Z didn't look good at all

Richards-Tats duo looks like it might have some serious chemistry. Brich in particular looked way better than I expected (he looks like he might end up being a great signing).

Abby looked good. gonna score another 20 goals this season I'll predict.

Mrazek looked better than Jimmy. Obviously Mrazek had a better blue line in front of him though, so make of that what you will.

Green-DDK need more time to get used to each other.

Kroner looked like Kroner, which is good.

Kindl :shakehead

Thank You!

Not surprised at all Richards and Tatar looked good together.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

The real question is how did you look? :laugh:

I think others gave a great rundown of the game. But everybody was in pre-season mode. Goalies changing around. Things being tried out. Veterans not pushing it.

Hard to judge a lot. Mainly it was good to see some nice play between Richards and Tatar. Remember, Richards made Fabian Brunnstrom look like an NHL player, so imagine what he can do with Tatar riding shotgun to those passes.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I didn't see the game but why is Kindl getting hate, He got 2 points lol

Because people hate him and only see what they want to see. It's quite frustrating.

You'd have to see the game.

The dude is just soft for a d-man and makes stupid plays too frequently.

As for the 2 points he got, credit where credit is due; he made a good outlet pass for the Tats' first goal. As for his second assist, he didn't do anything -- that was just an awesome stretch pass by Kroner to Abby.

You're probably right that I'm just being overly critical of the guy because I'm sick of him. Hopefully he proves me wrong and turns into a offensive dynamo this season (though I really doubt that'll happen).

Last edited:

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Thats peoples argument for Zetterberg still remaining relevant. Oh he got so many points last year (playing first line minutes and PP mind you)

He was 10th in the league in primary assists last season, he's solid defensively, and he's got the best beard in the league.

Ain't what he used to be, yeah, but he's still a super effective player (even if he didn't look that good tonight).

Comparing him to Kindl is ludicrous.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
He's not a scapegoat. He's just a shadow of his former self and we should be giving others his time in preseason to see if they can be more valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
He's not a scapegoat. He's just a shadow of his former self and we should be giving others his time in preseason to see if they can be more valuable.

And he's still far and away the second best player on the team...

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I disagree but whatever. We will see. He hasnt managed to get moving yet from what we've heard regarding his pre-season. He might not just have it in him anymore. Personally, I'd love to be proven wrong as I loved watching Z play 2 years back.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Even veterans need some time to get going. You expect Zetterberg to tear it up in the first preseason games? He's got nothing to prove and for him it's all about lasting the full season+playoffs. Last year he started out really, really strong (first 30-40 games he was fantastic), but completely wore down. Z more than anyone should be taking it easy this time of year and save his energy for when it matters.

Listen to yourself, you're talking about reducing the icetime of our Captain and 2nd best players because he was bad in 1 pre-season game. Come on.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I disagree but whatever. We will see. He hasnt managed to get moving yet from what we've heard regarding his pre-season. He might not just have it in him anymore. Personally, I'd love to be proven wrong as I loved watching Z play 2 years back.

Ok, besides Datsyuk, who is better than Zetterberg on this team? I'd love to hear your arguments.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
My only comment on Zata was that he looked really slow. Even when it looked like he was trying, he was still very slow.

I think Tatar has a good case for at least being our second best offensive player.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

On Brad Richards - he does look good, but you guys have to realize that this is preseason against a lot of secondary guys and AHL guys on the Hawks team. It's great that he was able to do well, but hold on a bit! haha. I'm pretty excited about him right now, too, though, and Green as well!

I don't think "number of points" is as relevant a factor in making the team as we tend to make it out.

As you point out, Flip and Hudler got a bunch of rookie points, but didn't get much ice time. That's because they had a lot of areas in their game to improve. Babs or Blash isn't going to give a guy top line minutes just because of his stat line, he's going to be watching for every little thing he does in between.

I think a low-scoring Larkin who does everything right has a chance to land on and stick with a regular scoring line. At the same time, I think a high-scoring Larkin who has a lot of room for improvement is going to be sent to the Griffins, much to the chagrin of everyone here.

It's more about well-rounded development than production.

edit: I should point out that I'm not really arguing with you. I only quoted you because it was a convenient post on the subject I wanted to discuss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad