GDT: Preseason Game #2 | Chicago Blackhawks @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM ET

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Talk about selective hearing. He said he wasn't going to keep him up if he's only going to play 10 minutes a game and if he won't be used during critical moments of games such as the final minutes of games and special teams. So if he doesn't play those critical moments and he's not playing in the top 6 then he's only going to be playing 10 minutes a game, where GR probably does more for his development.

And he mentioned Abdelkader and Helm (along with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar, and Nyquist) as guys who Larkin would have to beat out to play in those critical moments.

But carry on, continue the Holland bash.

Why would he only be playing 10 minutes on the 3rd line? That makes no sense. Holland is talking about Larkin playing on the 4th line with no special team time at all. If that's the case, Blashill isn't very smart.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Why would he only be playing 10 minutes on the 3rd line? That makes no sense. Holland is talking about Larkin playing on the 4th line with no special team time at all. If that's the case, Blashill isn't very smart.

If Larkin is on the 4th line it means he's not better than the players ahead of him which means he should be in GR. That's what he's saying.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Id like to see them find a way to slot in Mantha Jurco Pulkinnen Jensen Larkin Oulette and AA amongst the veterans at various preseason. Playing in the higher lines. Give them some actual chance to make the team.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Well the Red Wings did a good job beating the Ice Hogs, couple things:

-Kindl had an awful game, got a little better towards the end of the game. I can't see him in the top 6 if he continues his play

-Abdelkader did a good job of making his oppertunity count, but otherwise a pretty quiet game

-Nyquist, Quincey, Ericsson, Frk were all invisible

-Tatar made plenty of simple, and good plays

-Richards exceeded my expectations, played solid and showed some great chemistry with Tatar

-Nosek also played with NHL pace, and made some great plays in the first two periods

-Green started strong, and faded away as the game went on

-Personally I think Zetterberg played poorly, lots of giveaways and dumb plays

-DeKeyser also made some dumb plays, looked lost at times

-Jurco played a good defensive game, but was invisible on offense. I hope playing under Blashill will let him grow his offensive game. Babs did nothing but play him defensively and it's all he's knows. Almost looked like he was afraid to make some offensive plays

-Good confidence builder for Coreau although he wasn't really tested

-Mrazek was phenomenal. If he continues his play, he should be the starter at the beginning of the year

3 stars for me:

1) Mrazek

2) Tatar

3) Hinostroza (he was a stud for the hawks, I didn't see him make a single bad play)

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No, it's ridiculous that they would think that he isn't better than anyone in the top 9.
Based on what? His huge track record of pro-hockey experience?

At least give it some more exhibition games before making a big thing about Larkin potentiall going down to GR. Last night I didn't think Larkin looked better than Mantha, AA or Bertuzzi, and I kinda feel like Nosek also looks closer to being NHL ready. But Larkin could adapt quickly. Just gotta give it some more time to see how he stacks up. Saying he's definitely better than someone in our top 9 at this moment sounds like you're only basing it on potential and not where he actually is right now.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
At this moment in time I doubt Larkin would have a bigger impact than Helm offensively. Potential doesn't score goals.

well, Helm put up 33 points last year. If Larkin did that as a rookie, it's more points than Filppula or Hudler put up in their rookie years. and a whopping two points behind what Datsyuk put up. Looking at rookie forwards last year, putting up 33 points would tied Larkin for 8th highest scoring rookie. Looking back over the past few full seasons, and it seems if you hit 30+ points, you're in the top10.

To require him to be significantly better than that, you're essentially saying he has to be put up Calder quality production just to get a roster spot.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
As far as my review:

New guys:

Richards: He looked great tonight and it looks like him and Tatar will run together for a good bit, just hoping his age doesn't catch up to him too much.

Green: obviously had his post shot but played mainly 2nd line PP and I will take quiet as a good thing considering we were out shot a lot. I did notice a couple quick little plays with the puck that were tape to tape when he was getting pressures that eased all the pressure and gave us an easy walk out of the zone.

Current guys:

A lot of meh out there besides Tatar. I'm not worried about Goose I think he will find his stride and start creating. It's going to be here or there that they are both clicking, I'll be more worried when they are both off. I don't see them as more then 60 point guys so to think they will impress every night and put up points is beyond what most should expect.

As far as whipping boy Kindl, if I'm taking a 7th d right now, I'm looking at Jensen and Oullett. I really liked Jensen last night and I think Kindl took a dumb penalty tonight and just can't put the smarts together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad