GDT: Preseason game 2: Avs @ Mild 6:00pm ET/4:00 MT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dater thought Kamenev sucked in that game, which is a bit weird because some of you said that he was good?

Quote:

"But it is time to worry some, maybe, about the near-term future of Vladislav Kamenev. A second-round draft choice, acquired from Nashville in the Matt Duchene trade, Kamenev entered training camp as someone with as good a chance to make the team as any rookie. But he’s been unimpressive so far, going back to the Rookie Showcase in Las Vegas, and coach Jared Bednar said Thursday he needs to “pick up his pace” some if he wants to play at the NHL level.

Another poor showing Saturday in Minnesota didn’t help Kamenev’s cause at all. "

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Fairly certain Dater didn’t watch the game. When he gets something stuck in his head about a player, he doesn’t let it go. He has his connections but when it comes to analysis, some of the things he says blow my mind.

Kamenev played well. Did good things on the PK, which will help him out.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Having listened to and read Dater for over twenty years, he is prone to knee jerk reactions (IMO) and sticks to those opinions despite evidence to the contrary. Some of his expressed views are really somewhat bizarre at times.

He may very well be right about Kamenev in the end, but I doubt it is based on any keen evaluation from his hockey mind.

Reactions: Avs_19

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Dater thought Kamenev sucked in that game, which is a bit weird because some of you said that he was good?

Quote:

"But it is time to worry some, maybe, about the near-term future of Vladislav Kamenev. A second-round draft choice, acquired from Nashville in the Matt Duchene trade, Kamenev entered training camp as someone with as good a chance to make the team as any rookie. But he’s been unimpressive so far, going back to the Rookie Showcase in Las Vegas, and coach Jared Bednar said Thursday he needs to “pick up his pace” some if he wants to play at the NHL level.

Another poor showing Saturday in Minnesota didn’t help Kamenev’s cause at all. "

I trust so many more people here on their evaluations than I do Dater. He seems driven to write drama like a tabloid. Its mind blowing that someone can work in that field that long and be so far off on his evaluation of players at times.

Reactions: Freudian and Avs_19

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Y'know, it's almost like Dater just stirs the pot from time to time to drive clicks to whatever idiot website let him put their name on his business card.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Grubauer is the new acquisition that is going to be fighting Varlamov for the starters gig and is looking to make an impression with his new teammates.

Francouz is obviously new, too, but I wouldn't have left Grubauer in there like that.
Near the end of the 2nd period it was obvious he wasn't even trying anymore. There are some kids playing for their dream jobs and most of them were skating hard, they deserved to have a goalie in net who gives a crap. Maybe it would have been a tough first period (third of the game) in Francouz' career in North America but the way Grubauer was playing in the third was pretty much a farce.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Just got home and saw the score. Glad to read that Girard did well but disappointed to read about Jost's performance. I didn't expect much from the rest of that lineup, including Kerfoot.
Kerfoot and Jost looked good at first - as good as you can be offensively as sophomores with Wilson on your line - but they (especially Jost) started to float early. Kerfoot seems to be as afraid of shooting the puck as in the prior season, though. If Kerfoot/Jost is supposed to be a thing this season they need someone who can and likes to shoot the puck on their line or at least somebody (Kamenev? Edit: My preference would be Compher because I love his chemistry with Jost) who helps setting up Jost. Otherwise they will be too predictable because it'll be one of the dmen who takes the shot most of the time. Girard was really good, the best Av on the ice imo.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Quote:

Dater might be one of the worst people in the sport of hockey when it comes to analyzing players' abilities.
Near the end of the 2nd period it was obvious he wasn't even trying anymore. There are some kids playing for their dream jobs and most of them were skating hard, they deserved to have a goalie in net who gives a crap. Maybe it would have been a tough first period (third of the game) in Francouz' career in North America but the way Grubauer was playing in the third was pretty much a farce.
Veterans don't try very hard in preseason, and when the writing is on the wall for how this game is going to go why should Grubauer be killing himself trying to make save after save behind an AHL club against an NHL club? Makes zero sense.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Dater might be one of the worst people in the sport of hockey when it comes to analyzing players' abilities.

Veterans don't try very hard in preseason, and when the writing is on the wall for how this game is going to go why should Grubauer be killing himself trying to make save after save behind an AHL club against an NHL club? Makes zero sense.
He didn't need to kill himself, he didn't need to give the team a chance to win, he just needed to put in some effort. It's not like he hasn't anything left to prove in this league.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Not a fan of Grubauer at all , never was .

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I don’t think it’s time to shit on Grubauer after one preseason game. This was a game where there were only a few positives, but we had a great litmus test on our depth players/prospects against a near full NHL squad. It was always going to be a lopsided game.

Gruby Tuesday is better than Bernier (in my opinion, some may not agree), and Francouz is better than Martin... so I’m happy with progress made in goaltending depth, and tbh not reading much into his performance last night.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am not too worked up about the result yesterday. Given the lineups, an ugly result seemed inevitable. I am also not too worried about Grubauer. I am more concerned with the fact that he was left in for the entire game under those circumstances, but part of that may be based on some of my internal biases. Deep down, I am not sure I still trust Bednar and his decisions at times, whether that is fair or not.

I would like to see some scoring, which has been absent in the first couple of preseason games. It is dangerous to read too much into results in preseason games, but sometimes you do see some trends that develop and carry over into the regular season.

Regarding Dater, I am not trying to rail against him too much, as I understand that some of what I perceive to be overly dramatic opinions and headlines are in part due to a business strategy. But some of that has been present with Dater since the beginning. Chambers has many of the same traits, but he just mails it in even more so than Dater in terms of putting in the work (although he had some nice quotes from MacKinnon on his contract and the future).

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That roster yesterday had zero chance of being successful. 7-0 was actually a half decent result. Grubauer let in a couple soft goals, but having to face that roster with no team in front of him, and expecting him to WELL or stand on his head, is unreasonable. He was placed in a stupid situation.

Reactions: Bender

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
unsolicited .02 from a Wild fan.

Grubauer wasn't good. but he's a goalie, and that could just be "small sample size".
Kerfoot looked dangerous in spurts.
Looks like i share majority opinion here in Kamenev. He wasn't spectacular but he stood out among all the hopefuls the Avs put out there in that he played like he looked comfortable and knew what he was supposed to do, like a solid NHL regular.

btw it's Fenton, not Bruce, who wanted to see the most of our team together, and it's game four for us, at home. stacking the team is normal in that circumstance, not some weird fixation on humiliating the Avalanche. We made ... 18? cuts the night before. We're down to picking out which fourth liners are going to win jobs and which D want the 6 and 7 spots. You want to see those guys playing the role they're auditioning for.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Grubauer wasn't good. but he's a goalie, and that could just be "small sample size".
Looks like i share majority opinion here in Kamenev. He wasn't spectacular but he stood out among all the hopefuls the Avs put out there in that he played like he looked comfortable and knew what he was supposed to do, like a solid NHL regular.

btw it's Fenton, not Bruce, who wanted to see the most of our team together, and it's game four for us, at home. stacking the team is normal in that circumstance, not some weird fixation on humiliating the Avalanche. We made ... 18? cuts the night before. We're down to picking out which fourth liners are going to win jobs and which D want the 6 and 7 spots. You want to see those guys playing the role they're auditioning for.

I'm sorry, your currency is not valid here. Please try again later.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I don't begrudge the Wild from icing the lineup that they did on home ice. It was a typical approach to have more NHL "regulars" in the lineup, which is particularly true when you realize that it was the Wild's fourth preseason game. The Avs are only playing in their second on four days rest, which creates an unusual situation.

While I don't fault either team, I echo the thoughts of others that question the value ultimately for either team. For the Avs, it creates a difficult situation for evaluation purposes.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I am not too worked up about the result yesterday. Given the lineups, an ugly result seemed inevitable. I am also not too worried about Grubauer. I am more concerned with the fact that he was left in for the entire game under those circumstances, but part of that may be based on some of my internal biases. Deep down, I am not sure I still trust Bednar and his decisions at times, whether that is fair or not.

I would like to see some scoring, which has been absent in the first couple of preseason games. It is dangerous to read too much into results in preseason games, but sometimes you do see some trends that develop and carry over into the regular season.

Agreed on Bednar. That lineup last night was ridiculous and the outcome was predictable. We had ONE regular NHL D-Man and that guy was a rookie last year. What the hell was the expectations there? What did Grubauer do to deserve that? Way to bring him in to the fold. :thumbd:

I get that you want to evaluate certain players but when you know that the other team is going to ice pretty much their NHL starting lineup, you have to anticipate a complete mismatch. Did we want to see how our guys would perform on the PK?? What the hell MORE do you need to see from guys like Alt and Agozzino that they are in our lineup for pre-season AT ALL????

It's frustrating because it seems like it wasn't carefully thought out.

The wild can and should ice whatever lineup they want at home for preseason game #4 for them. It's not their problem if the Avs decided that they didn't want to ice at least a semblance of a half-ass NHL roster. I understand wanting to get a look at some guys but putting them in a complete no-win situation where they were dominated for 60 minutes, what really is there to look at? The PK? :laugh:

I'm expecting 80% of the players who played last night to be cut. We actually only had Jost, Kerfoot & Wilson up front and Girard + Grubauer who are NHLers (with Kamenev & Toninato hoping to make the team).

I thought Kamenev played a solid game and was probably the Avs best forward. I hope he gets a real look.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I get wanting to shelter Francouz... but why dress him? Have Martin/Varly as the back-up instead of Grubs getting shelter the entire game.

But who knows, maybe he wanted to stay in. I doubt there was zero communication between Grubs and our coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad