GDT: Preseason Game 1: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Buffalo Sabres from PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He was a 1st liner for the Czechs, so he was playing against the best the other team's had to offer. I know he matched up against Malkin's line against Russia and Blueger's line against Latvia, but I'm not sure who else he played against. The Czechs lost in the bronze medal game to Russia and went 6-1 in the tournament as well, so they obviously had success with Simon in that role.

On paper, the only thing I think you can knock for in regards to playing center in the NHL is his strength. I think he has the hockey IQ and playmaking talents to be able to provide some upside offensively, his defensive metrics are also extremely strong and he has had success with the Czechs at center. It's definitely something I want to see tried, and if it doesn't work, there's no harm there.

I will say though that Simon gives me Janmark vibes with his ability to play center. Like he may be able to play center full time, but you'd probably get more out of him on the wing. Ironically, I think Bjugstad is arguably in that group too.

Right but the best other teams have to offer isn’t necessarily anything formidable at the nhl level. Lining up against Malkin is the telling one unless it was Malkin surrounded by scrubs. Blueger, who I really like, not so much right now. If most of his points came against weak teams then it doesn’t say much about his chances of playing C in the NHL. Plenty of players play C at lower levels but are purely wingers in the NHL.

Strength and that most of his time has been as a winger since he came over.

I think we’re not that far apart, tbh. What I really don’t want is for Simon to flounder at C and Sullivan to be stubborn about it. That kind of thing will hurt Simon and Blueger. Bjugstad is a weird one where I think he can do both well but you’ll spend a lot of time thinking he’s better at the one he’s not currently playing. I’m more confident in Bjugstad handling the 3C role than Simon, McCann, Guentzel or Galchenyuk, though.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sure, if you like your hockey players not on skates but in a horizontal position on the ice...it’s the novelty of it...
Or the classic unnecessary fast stick-handling under no pressure...resulting in the puck skittering away to the opposition.
Sid left hanging near the net, with the disappointed body language. Forced to backcheck for no reason.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If I can’t watch live is there going to be a way to replay?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The preseason game that I like best is "who is JR showcasing tonight?"

Given that lineup...and JJ...I say its JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad