Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 1 = loss

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have to wonder if it's about saving face at this point -- they spent assets to trade up in a move that was queried even on the day (and before), and have invested years of dev into him at this point. Then there's size, snarl, stick length, etc.

It does seem like he might already be the player he's going to be, and not a great or even very good one. But we've heard repeatedly over the years from Murat and a few others that the org is invested in and committed to him -- so yeah, I don't see him going onto waivers or being moved until they've had another very long look.

Well as long as they aren't blocking more deserving players then by all means take another look but he's soon to be 25 and likely not going to improve much more.

Also about the whole save face thing, I get it but I would hope these guys would be professional enough to not let that get in the way of making a call on a player.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I have to wonder if it's about saving face at this point -- they spent assets to trade up in a move that was queried even on the day (and before), and have invested years of dev into him at this point. Then there's size, snarl, stick length, etc.

It does seem like he might already be the player he's going to be, and not a great or even very good one. But we've heard repeatedly over the years from Murat and a few others that the org is invested in and committed to him -- so yeah, I don't see him going onto waivers or being moved until they've had another very long look.
saving face, trying to find the next chara.....they're banking on some otherworldly potential. Both Murat and Garrett have alluded to this. Murat a bit more explicitly. he was 1/3 dmen protected for the expansion draft just last year so i doubt they will waive him and give him away for nothing.

also i think he would still have some value as a trade piece esp w/ many teams against the cap. 6'7, low cost 3rd pair LD (although he has to be paired with a great partner as seen in the CDN Div year).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Every team has a first rd bust or two eventually. They all accept it and move on.

They knew from the start that he was a boom or bust player, so no surprise.

We can just be glad that he wasn't a top 5, or even top 10 pick.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I don’t think it’s about trying to save face with Stanley, I think it’s the organization likes him as a person, still believes in him and aren’t ready to give up on him.

I don’t know how much leash he has, but I don’t see them waiving him and possibly losing him for nothing, the only way I could see Stanley being traded would be for a forward.

I still think of one of the defenseman will be traded they just haven’t figured out who yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Heinola if he doesnt end up completely kicking open the door sooner rather than later, I think part of the reason it’ll be Heinola is because they could probably get a sold young forward that’s capable of playing in the top six.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Jets didn't seem to have much trouble moving on from Vesalainen, Roslovic, and probably Heinola, so it is a little bit odd so see them sticking with Stanley for so long.

But lets see how training camp plays out.
dont think the context of ves or roslovic vs stanley are the same. ves + roslovic refuse to re-sign post ELC.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Jets didn't seem to have much trouble moving on from Vesalainen, Roslovic, and probably Heinola, so it is a little bit odd so see them sticking with Stanley for so long.

The coulda shoulda woulda with Stanley I think revolves more around our current scouting staff and what changed around Stanley’s draft year… who fought to move up for him and are they still running our draft team

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I don’t think it’s about trying to save face with Stanley, I think it’s the organization likes him as a person, still believes in him and aren’t ready to give up on him.

I don’t much leash he has I have no idea, but I don’t see them waiving him and possibly losing him for nothing, the only way I could see Stanley being traded would be for a forward.

I still think of one of the defenseman will be traded they just haven’t figured out who yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Heinola if he doesnt end up completely kicking open the door sooner rather than later, I think part of the reason it’ll be Heinola is because they could probably get a sold young forward that’s capable of playing in the top six.
In fairness, Stanley has shown great improvement and potential at times. I personally wouldn't want to see him thrown away for a low draft pick just because. The org could end up looking stupid.

That said, his useage needs to match his play and if he winds up in the press box, so be it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

I think with Stanley, he had a solid rookie season in the bubble followed by a poor sophomore season. That probably warrants another year to see what direction he is heading; back on path from his rookie year or continuing his poor play from last season.

Roslo had 2 and half seasons with us before pulling the plug and Ves being a forward had a shorter leash in terms of time to show his worth. I also think Ves moved on from the Jets moreso than us moving on from him. If he didn't want to play in Europe I think we would have had him fighting for a spot on our roster.

Based off last night, I am losing hope for Stan game by game

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think with Stanley, he had a solid rookie season in the bubble followed by a poor sophomore season. That probably warrants another year to see what direction he is heading; back on path from his rookie year or continuing his poor play from last season.

Roslo had 2 and half seasons with us before pulling the plug and Ves being a forward had a shorter leash in terms of time to show his worth. I also think Ves moved on from the Jets moreso than us moving on from him. If he didn't want to play in Europe I think we would have had him fighting for a spot on our roster.

I think the point is that Roslo was evolving as a player and showing progress... we used a potential 20 goal player as a throw-in on a trade

Everyone else who asks for a trade - Chevy just says sorry can't do it... maybe next year.

It is quite difficult to understand the Jet's draft and develop plan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the point is that Roslo was evolving as a player and showing progress... we used a potential 20 goal player as a throw-in on a trade

Everyone else who asks for a trade - Chevy just says sorry can't do it... maybe next year.

It is quite difficult to understand the Jet's draft and develop plan

Roslovic fell victim to coaching philosophy and not being good enough for our top 6 more so then anything else.

A more forward thinking coach and he's likely a big part of an offensive third line here.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I think he needs the stability of a well coached org - more so than most.
He might have that now so I'd assume they will take a hard look at him - and - work with him.
I can assure you they are not preparing a trade based on one preseason game and I'd assume they are also considering the effectiveness of his prior coaching up this point.
They knew he was going to be a project - they probably now realize the coaching was not there to support the project.

So far, it looks like they want him to be very physical - he ran around a lot last night looking for hits - and he got quite a few. But he's getting caught out of position doing it.
His training camp is also more physical than I would have expected based on what we're hearing -
Something tells me they want a very physical game from him and they are working to determine if they can get it (they being the new coach group).

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Roslovic fell victim to coaching philosophy and not being good enough for our top 6 more so then anything else.

A more forward thinking coach and he's likely a big part of an offensive third line here.
Roslo and Copp were our draft and develop 2C/3C that we just didn't develop...

I mean trading for Cody Eakin is likely what caused Roslo to ask for a trade

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Roslo and Copp were our draft and develop 2C/3C that we just didn't develop...

I mean trading for Cody Eakin is likely what caused Roslo to ask for a trade

Yeah they didn't match the Maurice template. He was too invested in Lowry at 3C.

This org would be better for it if they paid Copp to be a teo-way 3C and had Adam at 4C.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he needs the stability of a well coached org - more so than most.
He might have that now so I'd assume they will take a hard look at him - and - work with him.
I can assure you they are not preparing a trade based on one preseason game and I'd assume they are also considering the effectiveness of his prior coaching up this point.
They knew he was going to be a project - they probably now realize the coaching was not there to support the project.

So far, it looks like they want him to be very physical - he ran around a lot last night looking for hits - and he got quite a few. But he's getting caught out of position doing it.
His training camp is also more physical than I would have expected based on what we're hearing -
Something tells me they want a very physical game from him and they are working to determine if they can get it (they being the new coach group).

Seems like being physical is his last gasp. He doesn't bring offense, can't positional defend well and has an awful gap. All that's left is to be someone that knocks people over and makes them pay. Looks like plan D to try to create a Chariot type is on now.

Not getting my expectations upmfor that.

Reactions: Mathil8

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Seems like being physical is his last gasp. He doesn't bring offense, can't positional defend well and has an awful gap. All that's left is to be someone that knocks people over and makes them pay. Looks like plan D to try to create a Chariot type is on now.

Not getting my expectations upmfor that.
He was physical last night - but not effective (as per my post) -
I'm sure the org is looking at him as a physical player that can also play D (defensive).
To assume otherwise is beyond silly.

Edit - He needs to play better defense - there is no doubt about that. The assumption is that this new group intends to work with him to confirm if they can get him there including a highly physical edge.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He was physical last night - but not effective (as per my post) -
I'm sure the org is looking at him as a physical player that can also play D (defensive).
To assume otherwise is beyond silly.

Oh I'm sure they hope he can get there ala Chariot but he's never shown much if any defensive acumen at any level he's played. The org expecting new coaching to somehow accomplish that is wishful thinking.

As I said they continue their pet project if they like but I just hope they don't block other young players trying to make it work.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Oh I'm sure they hope he can get there ala Chariot but he's never shown much if any defensive acumen at any level he's played. The org expecting new coaching to somehow accomplish that is wishful thinking.

As I said they continue their pet project if they like but I just hope they don't block other young players trying to make it work.

This new coaching staff is going to take another look at Stan - and they might even have more success than the past tire fire coaching group that had our D looking like garbage -

Should I assume any impact this new staff has on anyone is also wishful thinking - or is Stan the only guy that can't benefit?

I think the "pet" project will continue for a bit - I get that will be hard for a some fans to deal with.
Personally, I hope he comes through -

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
One game my friends, with only a handful of NHL players. Going to take the new staff much longer than that to remove the traces of Huddy’s “systems”.

I am sure Chevy agrees “It’s a process “

I know we all miss hockey, but let’s not read too much into the first pre-season game 😁

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This new coaching staff is going to take another look at Stan - and they might even have more success than the past tire fire coaching group that had our D looking like garbage -

Should I assume any impact this new staff has on anyone is also wishful thinking - or is Stan the only guy that can't benefit?

I think the "pet" project will continue for a bit - I get that will be hard for a some fans to deal with.
That’s a fair assessment.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah they didn't match the Maurice template. He was too invested in Lowry at 3C.

This org would be better for it if they paid Copp to be a teo-way 3C and had Adam at 4C.
Funny enough Roslovic was involved in the Laine trade that would have made room for him in the top six.

Maurice did like having Lowry as 3C but we also never really had the offensive depth to even create a third scoring line after 18-19 season.

I know a lot of people here wanted/hoped that some of our younger guys coming up would have been good enough to create that third scoring line but let’s be honest none of them really were.

Maurice loves Lowry at 3C but we never really had those 2-3 better offensive forwards to actually create a good third scoring line, not without leaving a huge hole in the top six.

In 17-18 and 18-19 when we still had depth and acquired a third good centre Maurice had no problem putting more offensive players on the fourth line and balancing their minutes with the Lowry line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yes - but that solid rookie season he was sheltered and propped up by DeMelo, so it wasn't really all that good either. Last year we saw what he was like without that support.

I don't want to base much of the 1st pre-season game of the series. And I thought that after the mistake costing the 1st goal, he settled down and played fairly well for quite a bit of that game. Then he started making more mistakes. But it was still just the 1st pre-season game.

IMO, he should have been traded by now. I only see his value dropping. Maybe he becomes a decent 6/7 D man, but those are a dime a dozen.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

agreed.

posters on here typically love to throw away or omit bad seasons of x player, or y coach....... why can't the org. do the same?

not saying it's right or wrong, i think they should move on from Stanley personally, but from their POV: if almost everyone played poorly, perhaps its a systematic effect. He'll get a chance to show what he can do under a new staff, just like everyone else.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think it was lack of opportunity more than anything else that made him want out.

Apparently CBJ really wanted him in the package. OK, but then I think we should have gotten more than a 3rd added.

But, water under the bridge now. We got Zhilkin with that 3rd and he looks very good for where he was taken.

Reactions: Jack7222

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad