Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 1 = loss

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure Fox is the best guy to make your case with. He forced his way out of Calgary and then Carolina without ever signing a contract to get where he wanted to play. Chevy wouldn’t have been able to sign even with a gun to his head.

Yup. We could have taken both Debrincat and Girard with our original 2 picks. Better material for making the case. Two guys who fell due to small size. I wonder what would have been the chances of Jets taking either of them if we had just kept our picks?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yup. We could have taken both Debrincat and Girard with our original 2 picks. Better material for making the case. Two guys who fell due to small size. I wonder what would have been the chances of Jets taking either of them if we had just kept our picks?

What is the point of talking about it

Could of should of would of

Move on and get better but for the love of god stop talking about things that are done

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What is the point of talking about it

Could of should of would of

Move on and get better but for the love of god stop talking about things that are done

Hey, I didn't bring it up. Just responding to the suggestion that we should have gone after Fox that year instead of Stanley.

I'll give you a more recent Could'a, should'a, would'a.
We should have traded Stanley this off-season, before his value drops to zero. Also water under the bridge.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hey, I didn't bring it up. Just responding to the suggestion that we should have gone after Fox that year instead of Stanley.

We should have traded Stanley this off-season, before his value drops to zero. Also water under the bridge.

If he gets supplanted this camp I expect to see him traded in short order.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he gets supplanted this camp I expect to see him traded in short order.

Sure - but his value already dropped, last night.

Edit: Further, I think he was supplanted already last year. The GM needs to be able to look at the prospects coming up and see that Stanley is expendable. Anticipate and move at the right time.

MosTLucky

May 25, 2016
Thought Lucius looked way better than he did in the prospect tourny. Slowly getting back up to speed after not playing for awhile.

Chisholm will be an NHL player

Perfetti will have a big year if he stays healthy

Looking forward to Tuesday. Hopefully Lambert can get into a couple preseason games

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Traded him where? Why? Whats the point? Dump for a 3rd round pick? Maybe they do trade him but you have to find a willing trade partner who can help you as well. The 6 and 7th spot is open and you have 3 guys competing for it. Honestly if he isn't going to be the guy then you look at moving him because you can't waive him some one will take him for nothing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure - preseason, but every time he is exposed, someone sees it.

True enough but you know there are always a few silly GMs out there that will be swayed by his size. I don't suspect we'd have trouble finding a taker. But I agree that the org looks to possibly be making the same mistake where they hold onto the the young player too long despite having ample evidence that the player isn't working out as hoped.

He's going into his draft plus 7 year, the book has largely been written on this one. What are they hoping for at this point?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Traded him where? Why? Whats the point? Dump for a 3rd round pick? Maybe they do trade him but you have to find a willing trade partner who can help you as well. The 6 and 7th spot is open and you have 3 guys competing for it. Honestly if he isn't going to be the guy then you look at moving him because you can't waive him some one will take him for nothing

I don't know where, but his cap hit isn't an issue so some GM surely would have wanted 6'7 - and probably overpaid to get it.

With Samberg, Heinola, Kovacevic, Gawanke, Chisholm I just don't see any point in keeping him around if you can get anything for him. A 3rd would be better than nothing, if that is all he is worth.

Well, that's the thing about discussion boards...

It's those who remember the past that are doomed to repeat it. :D

There are only 2 kinds of things we can talk about, things that are in the past and things that are in the future. And the future is all just speculation.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What if this whole weak forward depth, LD log jam, and 4m+ in capspace thing is all in place because management is looking to see who outperforms who in pre-season between Stanley, Samberg, and Heinola and will trade the weak link for forward help? I personally doubt this is the case, but one can dream...

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
OK, so as a Jets fan living in Edmonton, I used to take one or more kids to the pretty much annual Jets @ Oilers pre-season game prior to the pandemic. You can get the tickets really cheap (paid $25 / head for last night), it's a fun night out, and you don't really care if you have to leave early.

So after two years away from the rink because of Covid it was really nice to get back to that little annual tradition.

I'm not going to worry about the on-ice performance because pre-season is pre-season.

What did worry me though is there used to be a TON of Jets fane at these games. Last night I only saw a handful, and even worse didn't hear anyone else yell "True North" during the anthem.

Is it just because the Oilers seem to be on an upswing, while the Jets appear to be on a downswing? Or something more serious in Jets fandom?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
True enough but you know there are always a few silly GMs out there that will be swayed by his size. I don't suspect we'd have trouble finding a taker. But I agree that the org looks to possibly be making the same mistake where they hold onto the the young player too long despite having ample evidence that the player isn't working out as hoped.

He's going into his draft plus 7 year, the book has largely been written on this one. What are they hoping for at this point?

I have to wonder if it's about saving face at this point -- they spent assets to trade up in a move that was queried even on the day (and before), and have invested years of dev into him at this point. Then there's size, snarl, stick length, etc.

It does seem like he might already be the player he's going to be, and not a great or even very good one. But we've heard repeatedly over the years from Murat and a few others that the org is invested in and committed to him -- so yeah, I don't see him going onto waivers or being moved until they've had another very long look.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
to me 2 players won spots on the 23 man roster yesterday. stanley and harkins won spots 21 and 22.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
71 belongs in a beer league.
Jets don't have a 71 at training camp.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 11.52.08 AM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad