Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 1: Devils (2) - Rangers (1)

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I don't care that it's pre-season, waking up to find out we beat the Rangers is always a great feeling.

Great to see Tedenby is continuing to impress. Stoked for Brunner on a PTO, though not sure how all these guys fit.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Tedenby was all over the Ice tonight, that line should stick together for the regular season. Henrique needs to play with more skilled players, I thought Pesonen was dragging that line down. Bernier and Herique seemed to have some chemistry.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
What I liked:

Schneider
Teddy
Lokti
Larsson

Not impressed:
Fayne? I know he was out with the goons tonight, but he looked off.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
fayne definitely struggled...

that said - he came back and had some nice stick checks.

Gelinas had a bomb, but also should've taken a bad interference penalty.

Tedi played a nice game showing good speed but had a couple of bad giveaways.

Henrique was noticably good on a few passes, and Larsson stood out for his play.

Schneider was very solid.

I'm interested to see what Brunner can bring, but I'd love to see Tedi and Gelinas make this team.

Lots of things to be excited about. Lots of up and coming talent.

GingersRULE

Jun 11, 2011
Coming from a diehard Canucks fan not going to lie Schneider looked pretty badass in a Devils jersey..will be rooting for you guys in the east this year..so weird to see him on a different team but wishing you guys much success with him..he'll be great for years to come

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Coming from a diehard Canucks fan not going to lie Schneider looked pretty badass in a Devils jersey..will be rooting for you guys in the east this year..so weird to see him on a different team but wishing you guys much success with him..he'll be great for years to come

Thanks! We're really happy to have him!

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
as for the rangers

brad richards and nash did their usual disappearing acts and then appeared towards the end.

only guy i really impressed with from them was moore, other than that "meh" is what i would describe them.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Lol @ Tedenby having 33 votes and Olesz having only 2 votes.

The "Tedenby goal" was 90% Olesz.

Considering the Devils' complete lack of finish last season (which unfortunately I saw shadows of tonight with the great plays around the opposing net and no puck going through), I'm giving a fair amount of credit to the player who actually puts the puck past the goalie.

kiwidevil

Considering the Devils' complete lack of finish last season (which unfortunately I saw shadows of tonight with the great plays around the opposing net and no puck going through), I'm giving a fair amount of credit to the player who actually puts the puck past the goalie.

Yep, if this was Josefson scoring this goal, most of this board would be praising him for going to the net and having the instinct to follow Olesz. Whilst, proclaiming that he had found his scoring touch.

But since it was Tedenby, it was an empty net tap in that he lucked into the net.

Prejudice.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
From the clips I have seen, it looks like Tedenby is much stronger on the puck now. Still needs to clean up his defensive game, but at least he isn't as easily thrown around in the offensive zone anymore.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
From the clips I have seen, it looks like Tedenby is much stronger on the puck now. Still needs to clean up his defensive game, but at least he isn't as easily thrown around in the offensive zone anymore.

which clips? where? :help:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

It appeared that way for two reasons

1. The Devils didn't forecheck at all last night.

2. There was very little board work in the entire game for either team.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I voted Teddy, Bernier, and Schneider, but after sleeping on in it, I'd change Teddy's to Gelinas.

Random thoughts:

* Gelinas really stood out. His slapper is a legit weapon, and his defensive acumen appeared solid. On the defensive side some standout moments were erasing a 2 on 1 and stopping a hard clear from going the length of the ice while on the powerplay.

* Tedenby was considerably stronger on his skates in the O-zone. Defensively, he seemed more involved, although that giveaway to Nash was a mark against. Getting it erased by drawing a penalty (which he does with aplomb) is fine and all, but he needs to clean up that type of play.

* Boucher showed surprising vision and playmaking. Everything we've heard on him was his shot, but his distribution and smarts to not force his shot was appreciated. He didn't get a ton of open looks (like Jim said, he could use a playmaker on his line) but his one standout shot was hard and accurate. But he used his teammates well and set up some guys with nice passes. And he was quicker than I expected, not blazing by any stretch, but not a slug either.

* Schneider was a pleasure to watch. He was calm, poised, and turned away shots with seeming ease due to great positioning and rebound control. Yet he showed he could be athletic when he needs to be. I can only hope that he and Marty manage their respective roles as well as Schneider seemed to have with Lu, but he was everything he was advertised as in a first appearance. If his play during the season matches his first impressions, locking him up should be priority one for Lou.

* Henrique seemed to have nice chemistry with Bernier (who was solid all over the ice tonight) but I *really* wanted to see him bury that glorious chance in the third. We'll need Henrique to supply some goal scoring this year and to finish chances like that more often than not.

* Larsson impressed me a lot. His erasure of a weak play of the puck near Schneider (by Schneider?) was smooth and elegant. His physicality was improved with the wiping out of Asham and a handful of notable pinches in the zone. And it was nice seeing him on the powerplay and generally being more active in the attacking zone. He moved the puck quickly and accurately and varied his attack with slap passes and shots. I'd still like to see him improve the heaviness of his shot; but it is accurate, which is of greater importance.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
i thought harrold had a pretty weak game too

Yeah, I agree, he was weak physcially and also in decision making with the puck.
But, it's only one preseason game.

Volchy was slower than ever and not impressive either.

Gelinas on the otherhand was impressive in both zones. He uses his reach nicely on the pokecheck and blocking shots.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It appeared that way for two reasons

1. The Devils didn't forecheck at all last night.

2. There was very little board work in the entire game for either team.

1. The Devils didn't forecheck at all last night. AGREE

2. There was very little board work in the entire game for either team. DISAGREE

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
#3 Tedenby because he looked stronger on the puck and showed some serious fire. He wants that roster spot badly.

#2 Gelinas because he was far and away our best defender and looks ready to make that next jump. His shot was a serious rocket.

#1 Schneider because he looked fantastic in his 2 periods of work. That save on Richards was awesome.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
My 3 stars were Schneiderman, Larsson and Loktionov

Larsson: Boy, what a difference a summer makes. He looks a lot faster and his first step is certainly more explosive. PDB played him 25 minutes and he looked fantastic doing it

Schneider: I think I forgot what real goaltending and positioning looked like. He is just so smooth and has fantastic technique.

Loktionov: He was dangerous every time he stepped on the ice. I could see him breaking out with 50 points with the right linemates

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00