GDT: Preseason Game #1 | Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks | 8:30 PM EST | WGN

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
My initial impressions..

If Mantha plays like that he'll be getting some time with the wings this year for sure. He was dominant on the shift that Pulkkinen ended up scoring and generated most of the offense that led to that goal, his goal was a really nice shot. Larkin looked good out there, no points but just solid all around. I thought AA had a rough game but I saw stuff that if it gets ironed out in the AHL he could be a big contributor in the NHL. I thought Jensen and Smith were very solid on the back end. Jensen was great last preseason and didnt even get a call up all year, I wonder if another strong performance this year could change that. Bertuzzi looks like a guy that does things right that coaches love, while not a huge contributor in tonights game if he plays like that all the time coaches will love him

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I agree with many of the comments made, nice to feel we're watching the same game!

Most encouraging performance was from Smith. Man he looked cool and collected especially under pressure. Definitely has taken a next step.

Most disappointing was Marchenko. Whether poor feeds up ice or the puck trapped and bobbled in his feet he was not sharp. Interesting that (without seeing them in camp) I though AM had somehow surpassed Smith in the depth chart, well no way Jose.

I'm already kind of sick of the Andersson and Miller line (with or without Ferraro). A few times Andy looked really dumpy moving to retrieve rebounded pucks around our net. They bore me. It would break up tradition but I would love a 4th line of Bertuzzi/Mantha/Pulkkinen/Larkin/Miele, etc. any combination is better than our stale ass current 4th line.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I find Jensen to look better at this level than the AHL. It's a pretty open competition back there for the last spot(Ouellet has my inside track) so he's one to follow in the coming games.

I didn't watch the entire game though so missed the comeback, might have to check it out later.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
After watching this game I really like what Mantha brings to the table, that range and scoring ability can be really lethal one day. I also liked what I saw from Larkin, he did not score but he did play well I thought.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Excellent game from Mantha and Jensen. I hope Mantha keeps this up and we see him get some NHL time this year. Jensen is clearly NHL ready, would love him around as the #6-7.

Larkin was alright. Nothing too impressive but you can see him do a lot of the little things that I'm sure coaches love seeing. He'll probably learn fast too.

AA, Bert and Svechnikov also look quite promising.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't think Jensen could do worse than any of our other bottom-pairing defensemen. Why not give him a shot and see what he can do?

aFish

blub blub blub
Jun 23, 2014
Ontario
Jimmy looked like Jimmy. A sieve on easy saves that any goalie should routinely make.

1st goal was knocked in with a high stick... that goal's overturned in the regular season

2nd goal Teemu allowed Toews to skate into the middle of the ice between the circles and fire an uncontested shot. Toews scores that goal on 95% of the goalies in this league (or doesn't even get a shot off if Pulu plays a lick of D).

3rd goal was a PPG that was also knocked out of mid air...

Jimmy haters gonna hate, I guess.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have seen enough of Andersson to last a lifetime. I thought a number of the kids held up well considering the Hawks' roster.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
1st goal was knocked in with a high stick... that goal's overturned in the regular season

2nd goal Teemu allowed Toews to skate into the middle of the ice between the circles and fire an uncontested shot. Toews scores that goal on 95% of the goalies in this league (or doesn't even get a shot off if Pulu plays a lick of D).

3rd goal was a PPG that was also knocked out of mid air...

Jimmy haters gonna hate, I guess.

For maybe 95% of all goals scored you can find rational explanations for why they did go in. That's what separates the goalies from each other, the better ones simply save more of the pucks that *could* go in without it necessarily being a mistake. Toews' goal especially was a shot like that.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I have seen enough of Andersson to last a lifetime. I thought a number of the kids held up well considering the Hawks' roster.

Yeah. I'd rather have a lot of players playing instead of him playing in the top 12. But whatever. He'll probably be playing wing or center on the 4th line :cry:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks Miele looked really good last night?

I thought that at first but thena few times in the corners and stuff he got knocked over so easily. I think in everyday wings camp you would probably see him get out muscled so much more that hes not much of an actual NHL option

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't think Jensen could do worse than any of our other bottom-pairing defensemen. Why not give him a shot and see what he can do?

As of right now, I would gladly take Jensen over Kindl any day of the year. I sure hope that Kindl is gone by no later then next summer. Any one of our 4 Defensive prospects are better then Kindl.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If Mantha plays in the AHL like he did tonight, he'll be up sooner rather than later.

Yeah I have a feeling that Mantha is going to have a strong season in Grand Rapids, As far as last season he came back after breaking his tibia in training camp after missing two months just seemed like he couldn't get things together. This year should be totally different for him.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Mantha has some wheels for a big guy. Plays like Rick Nash.

Also, looks like Sheahan had a good game from the highlights. Hoping for a breakout year from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad