GDT: Preseason Game 1 | Bruins at Flyers | Sep 24, 7pm | Wells Fargo Center

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I dunno how skilled Frost really is, at times he makes some very nice plays, at times he makes some bad turnovers and looks lost. Thing is he's 23, he shouldn't look lost anymore. If he's a solid 3C, I'm thinking that might be his ceiling, something is missing b/c he's less than the sum of his parts. He's actually the center equivalent of Tippett, who skates and puck handles and shoots, yet nothing really happens. Both have shown enough to get 3rd line time on a bad team to see if they take a step up, but people fluffing Frost and dissing Tippett are either blind or have an agenda.

Noah Cates on the other hand is a NHL player, no ifs, buts or whats. He has "it," the puck finds him or he finds the puck. He is going to make this team and may end up in the top 6 as a complementary player who makes his linemates better.

Jackson Cates looks better, but he's not as good as his brother, but the two have chemistry together.

Foerster is going to be better than Allison, but he's still very young. Allison has that great energy that would be perfect for 4RW to start the season, and let him pass Tippett, but I think Foerster has top 6 potential in a year or two. But Foerster looks a tick behind right now and needs some time at LHV.

Attard looks like a talented player who developed bad habits in college as a "rover," and needs to work on his fundamentals. Unless he picks it up, he's going to spend half a season in LHV.

Zamula is a solid D-man who lacks anything special, but should continue to improve and end this season as a starter in the NHL.

Hodgson showed enough to get a couple more games, but unless he surprises, top call up is probably his role in LHV.

Roussel was the invisible man.

Sandstrom looked solid, good enough that if he keeps it up, no reason to bring in a veteran goalie who'd be below replacement.
No way man.

Agree with Noah C.

Fn hope he is better than Allison.

Attard needs a hands on coach to work with him imo. Is Jason Smith that guy?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Any opinions on how Frost played against the Bruins C team? How about Tanner and Wade?

Time for the annual reminder that it's a terrible idea to read deeply into preseason games.
Do you think pre-season games offer any value when trying to put together your roster?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Any opinions on how Frost played against the Bruins C team? How about Tanner and Wade?

Do you think pre-season games offer any value when trying to put together your roster?

Quite little when the team is horrible at player evaluation. And even when the team is good, it's a miniscule sample size full of players of varying skill and effort level all knocking rust off.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Couple guys stood out to me last night. Noah Cates, Lycksell, Sandstrom.

Allison looked like a puppy that has a ton of energy but no coordination yet.

I had the Bruins broadcast with probably the most annoying crew in hockey.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Interesting xGFrel (not that I'd put a lot of weight on them):

Foerster -45.61
Laczynski -37.95
Attard -35.63
York -34.59

Seeler +33.17
Willman +30.00
Allison +29.15
Hodgson +28.18
Zamula +17.95
Anisimov +14.92
Tippett +13.96
Frost +12.91
Lycksell +11.09
Belpedo +10.24

Willman doesn't surprise me, he has the speed and motor to make things happen, but unfortunately lacks any other redeeming qualities.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
AA is Brassard all over again. did they not learn anything last year. I guess not, since they really have not learned anything for the past 45 years....
I doubt AA will score 16 points in 31 games, lol

Also, DB had a regular contract, not a PTO

Reactions: captainpaxil

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
AA is Brassard all over again. did they not learn anything last year. I guess not, since they really have not learned anything for the past 45 years....
Would take Brass 100 out of 100 from AA. AA will not be close to that.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Quite little when the team is horrible at player evaluation. And even when the team is good, it's a miniscule sample size full of players of varying skill and effort level all knocking rust off.
What would you use to evaluate players and construct your roster?

Interesting xGFrel (not that I'd put a lot of weight on them):

Foerster -45.61
Laczynski -37.95
Attard -35.63
York -34.59

Seeler +33.17
Willman +30.00
Allison +29.15
Hodgson +28.18
Zamula +17.95
Anisimov +14.92
Tippett +13.96
Frost +12.91
Lycksell +11.09
Belpedo +10.24

Willman doesn't surprise me, he has the speed and motor to make things happen, but unfortunately lacks any other redeeming qualities.
More meaningless phantom stats.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
York didn't stand out at all last night 🤨

another 1st rd. pick bust ? 😬

That’s just how he plays. Are you expecting highlight real stuff from him? That’s not his game.

He does have the ability to be aggressive (& take advantage) offensively but he so rarely takes the opportunity to do so. Safe is kind of his thing.

Also…it’s 1 preseason game lol

Reactions: 04hockey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What would you use to evaluate players and construct your roster?

More meaningless phantom stats.

Something meaningful. I value prior season performance more for most players. If someone played well all year in the AHL that interests me more than a couple preseason games with Frankenstein rosters.

I don't fully and completely discredit preseason games, but I'm also not interested in making decisive player evaluations from them.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Oh shut up you spineless loser :laugh:

Couple guys stood out to me last night. Noah Cates, Lycksell, Sandstrom.

Allison looked like a puppy that has a ton of energy but no coordination yet.

I had the Bruins broadcast with probably the most annoying crew in hockey.
I actually thought Lycksell was a turn over machine . He was carrying the puck lots trying to do to much and it ended up going the other way . Needs to try making moves with some puck protection cause guys are only going to get better .

Sandstrom and Frost for the good . Attard struggled and AA and Roussel did absolutely nothing . Allison needs to learn that we have guys with no skill or hands to do the scrapping . Just concentrate on the hockey stuff .

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I actually thought Lycksell was a turn over machine . He was carrying the puck lots trying to do to much and it ended up going the other way . Needs to try making moves with some puck protection cause guys are only going to get better .

Sandstrom and Frost for the good . Attard struggled and AA and Roussel did absolutely nothing . Allison needs to learn that we have guys with no skill or hands to do the scrapping . Just concentrate on the hockey stuff .

Yeah it's possible - I admit that 80% of the jersey numbers meant nothing to me, so I wasn't sure I was always seeing the same guy. I mixed up Lycksell (#62) and Foerster (#52) a bunch of times.

I honestly didn't notice anyone on defense, again largely because the numbers meant nothing to me and I didn't notice any plays that stood out.

The one guy that stood out among all others, to me, was N. Cates. He looked like a level above the rest of the guys.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
That’s just how he plays. Are you expecting highlight real stuff from him? That’s not his game.

He does have the ability to be aggressive (& take advantage) offensively but he so rarely takes the opportunity to do so. Safe is kind of his thing.

Also…it’s 1 preseason game lol
thought maybe he'd come out flying to impress the new Coach.....
and get a roster spot on the Flyers to start the season :dunno:
I hope I spoke too soon .....

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
thought maybe he'd come out flying to impress the new Coach.....
and get a roster spot on the Flyers to start the season :dunno:
I hope I spoke too soon .....

Coming out flying isn’t something that he does. He’s all about stability, and playing a calm game. There isn’t much flash to be had from Cam York.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Coming out flying isn’t something that he does. He’s all about stability, and playing a calm game. There isn’t much flash to be had from Cam York.
You mean he's a defenseman? Agree by the way. Liked him at World Juniors and think he can be a solid NHL defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad