GDT: Preseason game 1 Boston Vs. Montreal - NHLN/RDS/TSN2 7:00 PM EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
My point exactly.

I'm a fan of Paille, but to call out Soderberg on his breakaway, and not mention Paille is...I dunno what it is, but it aint right!

Saying a player made a mistake doesn't automatically mean we're hating on him.

I never understood why some people feel the need to cut down one player in order to make a case for another in the same organization.

I'm pushing for all Bruins to succeed, but nobody's perfect.

I'm also a fan but as a 4th liner or a 3rd line fill in. He is what he is and there is nothing wrong with that.

You win with guys like Paille being on your 4th line not on you 3rd line. He's not magically going to turn into the player Buffalo picked in the first round after all these years.

I think Carls ceiling in the NHL is higher so lets give the guy a chance.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Who's penalty was dumber: Soderberg's or Lucic's stupid penalty opening the third?

One is dumb the other is dumber.

Look, we can call his penalty dumb. But let's be realistic, Lucic's penalty was totally stupid, selfish and uncalled for. If you call one out, call them both out.

Bad example though... Lucics penalty was a pretty borderline in the call.... that 'cross check' was looked about equal to a stiff breeze...

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
But Dan, (I said Dan not rocketdan) we are only allowed to mention that Soderberg fumbled on a breakaway and thus Paille is better suited for the 3rd line than Soderberg.

Please erase from your memory that Paille failed miserably on his breakaway as well.

Now repeat after me:

Carl Soderberg missed on a breakaway, therefore everyone else is better.

Uh my name isn't Dan. But that's OK it is an honor to be quoted by you :)

Also I'm a big fan of Daniel Paille. I think he's improved a lot since joining the Bruins but he still gets a lot of unnecessary criticism here.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Was very good on the PK. His positioning was good and he created a short-handed opportunity.

Was good on the PP. Shows a willingness to play in front, his work
along the boards was excellent (this was lacking last year)
, and his puck protection skills looked good. Won a lot of one on one battles.

He is willing to play the physical game. This was something you did not see much of in the SEL, but he seems to have made a concerted effort to inject into his game.

The guy is NOT a fast skater, never was, so this is a moot point, but it's obvious that he is in much better shape and is moving better than last year. He reminds me
of guys like Lecavalier and Spezza (relax, not saying he's on the same level) in that he will use his size to get position on you, instead of relying on speed.

This is what impresses me. He played with the same approach in his limited time last year as well. Winning board battles and driving to the net at every opportunity is something that doesn't go unnoticed. Clearly not intimidated or afraid.

I want to Soderberg get in as many pre-season game as possible. He's really struggling to find time and space, which is probably related to him playing his whole career on larger ice surface. Looked smoother and more confident with the puck 5 on 4 (as most do). Still waiting to see those hands, finish, and shooting ability. Maybe it never translates. I don't know. Now is the time to find out though.

I get a Jordan Staal vibe from Soderberg. I think he plays a similar style at C. (although I obviously wouldn't put him at that level yet either).

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I like Söderberg, I think he improved over the games we saw him last year to now. I think he'll get it much more consistently within the first month of the season and be a nice big body threat on the third line with the ability to take over for Krejci or Bergeron if they go down, with spooner taking over for Söderberg with someone coming in to replace him on the wing. At this point, and obviously a decent amount can change, I could see the line up being;

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Marchand - Bergeron - Eriksson
Soderberg - Spooner - Kelly
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

With many great option for the 13th forward and could easily sit Shawn some or many nights

Chara - Boychuk
Seidenberg - Hamilton/ Bart
Krug - McQuaid
Bart/Hamilton

Rask
Svedberg/Johnson

That line up has few holes and looks pretty deadly at a glance

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster
Bad example though... Lucics penalty was a pretty borderline in the call.... that 'cross check' was looked about equal to a stiff breeze...

But all the more predictable, and thus even dumber. I mean, if Lucic thought about it, what would he think would happen?

Shanahan with a white beard appears on a cloud and throws a lightning bolt at the Habs?

I mean, it was almost the archetypal Bruin-Canadien interaction. Mythic.

Here is the multiple choice version.

Bruin and Canadien interact. Bruin shoves with stick, Canadien chops at Bruin. Rabble, Rabble, four players push and shove. Refs break it up, no penalties, and call for a faceoff.

What happens next?

a) nothing of significance.
b) Bruin taps Canadien, who Ribeiro's, and Bruin goes to the box.
c) Bruin savagely crosschecks Canadien, who gives as good as he gets, and is called for retaliating.

All true Bruins fans answer b.
All true Habs fans answer c.

It's Bell Centre, so b is correct.

Soderberg gained invaluable experience.
Bruin taps Smurf (Briere, all the more noxious for joining the Scabs), 2 mins.
Bruin on breakaway hooked, no call.

Best game he could have in Montreal, break him in right to the rivalry.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Yep.

If Iggy works hard every shift it will indeed be an upgrade.

Everyone here knows Iginla was born to be a Bruin, too bad they couldn't have got him 10 years ago, but even at 36 he still looks great in the spoked B.

The only thing that worries me about this team is the backup goalie.

Didn't the Bruins get Jose Theodore a few months ago:sarcasm:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Everyone here knows Iginla was born to be a Bruin, too bad they couldn't have got him 10 years ago, but even at 36 he still looks great in the spoked B.

The only thing that worries me about this team is the backup goalie.

Didn't the Bruins get Jose Theodore a few months ago:sarcasm:

I am a bit worried about the backup too.

The B's have been pretty lucky the last few years ...With Thomas and Rask and last year Dobby was an excellent backup. I hope he gets to play many games this year and don't blame him for wanting more time in games.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I am a bit worried about the backup too.

The B's have been pretty lucky the last few years ...With Thomas and Rask and last year Dobby was an excellent backup. I hope he gets to play many games this year and don't blame him for wanting more time in games.

They were extremely lucky with Thomas/Rask, I would say best in the league.

Now how many games is Rask going to play, it has to be between 62-72 or is he going to pull a Fuhr/Brodeur and play 78-79 of the total games?

Plus if anything happens to Rask then the Bruins are relying on Chad Johnson he has 10 NHL games under his belt, or Svedberg with 0 NHL games. Seems like too much of a gamble to me.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Do you think it would be beneficial to have him play wing in the A?

And...do you think the organization would do that?

They might. Vladimir Sobotka was in a similar situation, he was a natural center (who was dominant in the A) and they seemed to think his best shot in the NHL would be on the wing, so they tried to get him some experience in that role in Providence. To this day, he's the only center I've ever seen that couldn't make the conversion.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
They might. Vladimir Sobotka was in a similar situation, he was a natural center (who was dominant in the A) and they seemed to think his best shot in the NHL would be on the wing, so they tried to get him some experience in that role in Providence. To this day, he's the only center I've ever seen that couldn't make the conversion.

If the Bruins put Seguin at wing for three years I don't see why there would even be a debate about putting anyone else at wing who would be considered a center)

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Who's penalty was dumber: Soderberg's or Lucic's stupid penalty opening the third?

One is dumb the other is dumber.

Look, we can call his penalty dumb. But let's be realistic, Lucic's penalty was totally stupid, selfish and uncalled for. If you call one out, call them both out.

And also unbelievably soft.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
If the Bruins put Seguin at wing for three years I don't see why there would even be a debate about putting anyone else at wing who would be considered a center)

At the NHL level, yes.

The original question was whether they'd move Spooner to the wing at the AHL level, and whether it would be beneficial.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
This was a preseason game, right?

I mean, I must've missed where it counts in the standings or how many points were assigned for the win.

If folks think the primary purpose of a training camp game is to win or put the best product on the ice, you're sorely mistaken.

Coaches are testing combinations, set pieces, rushes, responses, and will manipulate lineups and situations to see what happens in specific sets.

I'm not the biggest Yeti fan, and some of the criticism he's getting here is mind-bottling to me.

Some of youse best set aside some of that vitriol for games that actually matter otherwise you won't have anything to offer come February/March. Staying power people. Take your foot off the throats.

First preseason game with unfamiliar line combinations. I mean we're all excited for hockey to start, but come on. Be objective for a few seconds. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad