GDT: Preseason G4: Blues @ Wild. 7pm CT (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Couldn't catch the game outside of twitter. Beckman looked to have a great game. funny how Russo tweeted out how he shouldn't be dropping the gloves and he ends up with a Gordie Howe hat trick.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Greenway should be a lock. You can't expect him to play the heavy game in an exhibition game. He is a proven player now and is not supposed to peak in a preseason game, unlike the prospects.

I expect him to consistently give full effort every time he steps on the ice. He hasn't yet earned the benefit of the doubt to coast through a preseason game. This has been his problem since he arrived. Because of this, he is anything but a proven player...unless you mean he has proven that he can be lazy and disappear for long stretches.

I don't think he'll be waived before the season....but unless he wakes up, I don't see Guerin offering him a long term contract when his current one expires.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I expect him to consistently give full effort every time he steps on the ice. This has been his problem since he arrived. Because of this, he is anything but a proven player...unless you mean he has proven that he can be lazy and disappear for long stretches.

You know that's not the case with veterans. It's not about preseason or even season games for me (obviously he's been part of one of the best lines in hockey for 2 seasons in a row now!), but he has also performed in playoffs, and was not the reason Wild lost to VGK:

upload_2021-10-7_16-32-55.png

It is obviously annoying to young players, who feel like they are doing better job than the older guys, but the thing is the older guys are already proven they can perform in high stress environment where the rookies tend to make mistakes. Greenway is also a role player that does a lot of work that goes unnoticed and unrewarded (like wrestling in the corners & taking more dzone starts than offensive wingers). What if he would push 100% in exhibition game and get injured? How bad would that make him look?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You know that's not the case with veterans. It's not about preseason or even season games for me (obviously he's been part of one of the best lines in hockey for 2 seasons in a row now!), but he has also performed in playoffs, and was not the reason Wild lost to VGK:

View attachment 468667

It is obviously annoying to young players, who feel like they are doing better job than the older guys, but the thing is the older guys are already proven they can perform in high stress environment where the rookies tend to make mistakes. Greenway is also a role player that does a lot of work that goes unnoticed and unrewarded (like wrestling in the corners & taking more dzone starts than offensive wingers). What if he would push 100% in exhibition game and get injured? How bad would that make him look?

Ek and Foligno drove that line. We'll see how he does now with Ek playing up with Kaprizov and Zuccarello.

Again, I don't think Greenway has proven he's worthy of a long term extension and think he could likely be dealt unless his wises up.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Ek and Foligno drove that line. We'll see how he does now with Ek playing up with Kaprizov and Zuccarello.

Again, I don't think Greenway has proven he's worthy of a long term extension and think he could likely be dealt unless his wises up.

They might be the ones driving the line, but Greenway has played into it very well. He throws similar amount of hits (well Foligno is on a league of his own here), has similar scoring, is willing to work for the puck etc.. It is not obvious that the line will work as well if he isn't there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

This is the worst take I have read in a long time. Neither Foligno or Ek could carry a puck 20 feet, even if you nailed it to their face.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree and disagree.

While I agree he sometimes get undeservedly get shit on (he's still has a place as a well respected NHL 4th liner), I disagree because he is kind of a black hole offensively which is why he's at best a 3rd line and realistically a 4C. And when historically the Wild 3C tend to be quite solid (JEE brought shutdown game, Kunin could score, Coyle has size, Cullen could make plays, Koivu was Koivu), Rask doesn't bring anything special to that role. On the Wild, he belongs on the 4th line and even that has come into question with Sturm developing into a great 4C who brings energy and tenacity that Rask lacks.
Well said. Brodziak was another bottom six C who brought a lot more to the table. Bottom six guys aren't usually known for their points, but are expected to provide energy, physicality, and ability to be sound defensively. Rask is more of a skilled guy with a decent IQ who doesn't have the speed or strength to back it up. Sort of like Granlund on a really bad day. I'll take Sturm over Rask anyday on my team. He is faster, bigger, stronger, better at FO's and defensively. Once you throw in the AAV it's a no brainer. Now that Gaudreau is signed, Rask is even more redundant.

There would be a lot less disdain for Rask if he didn't make 4M, wasn't traded for Nino, and wasn't the result of a trade by the most despised GM in our history, Fenton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad