GDT: Preseason G4: Blues @ Wild. 7pm CT (FSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Rock star celly, must be Gene Simmons.

Dat tongue - yikes.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Beckman- Just seems to be around the puck at the right times, and makes things happen. Please, don't fight again, but that was awesome. Still think he would benefit with AHL TOI, but it is very tempting to bring him up now.

Duhaime- 4th line worthy. Not sure if he will be strong at the NHL level to win battles, but he is fast and aggressive. Unlike Boldy and Beckman, you won't ruin him if you play him on the 4th line.

Addison - I normally like defensive Dmen, but there is something to be said for a Dman who knows how to hold onto the puck and make the right decisions with it. Is also an above average NHL level skater. Benn and Merrill look like bumpkins out there, against mainly prospects- it's not like Addison is beating out some defensive stalwarts...I love his decision making on the point. I wonder if Spurgeon could mentor him a bit?

Rossi- looked good, but not great. Give him 1st line AHL TOI till he gets going.

Boldy- Still a believer. Let's see what's up next game...I think he has to make the team.

Liked Rask, weirdly, and Sturm out there. Dewar was also good. Seemed to get comfortable about halfway through the game, and started to use his wheels and smarts. Greenway was just ok. I like him and his game, but this isn't good enough.

A lot of the other players were too slow in their decision making. I know it's hard playing on a new team with new guys, so it's always going to be choppy, but I didn't see enough urgency out there except for some of the guys above.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Hard not to give Beckman 9 NHL games with Fiala after his performance so far.

I still get this feeling that Iowa is going to end up with a top line of Beckman-Rossi-Boldy and BG will let them marinate down there for the better part of the year, though.

Reactions: keppel146

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think Greenways days in Minnesota are numbered. Just dont see him improving the way needs to.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I think Greenways days in Minnesota are numbered. Just dont see him improving the way needs to.

I dunno - like him in the bottom 6. He is bonus offense, and while has those games/shifts with an edge you wish he played more often, they nonetheless have value.

He is just 24 years old. I think he still has room to improve.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That Beckman snipe! Laser beam! That celly! Knee up, arms out, tongue out, nose still dripping blood... classic! Skated right towards us on that celly, playing to us in the crowd the whole way! (in the tweet showing his goal, you can see me and my long hair in my #24 Dumba jersey on the right side of the screen from the far away shot towards the end)

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I dunno - like him in the bottom 6. He is bonus offense, and while has those games/shifts with an edge you wish he played more often, they nonetheless have value.

He is just 24 years old. I think he still has room to improve.
Yup, and when he plays physically he just blows up other teams. He is unusually strong, has a huge reach, and does have some skill. Evason needs to find a way to keep him motivated, though lot of that is up to Greenway, too. He can make some serious cash in the next few years if he gets serious.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yup, and when he plays physically he just blows up other teams. He is unusually strong, has a huge reach, and does have some skill. Evason needs to find a way to keep him motivated, though lot of that is up to Greenway, too. He can make some serious cash in the next few years if he gets serious.
That's the crux of his problem... he's not self motivating.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's the crux of his problem... he's not self motivating.
Hey, if he was 5'10" and with average strength and reach I would run his ass out of here. 6'6", unusually strong and long ...size isn't everything, but it's nice to have, especially come playoffs. He, Foligno, and JEE were terrific last year together. He was also on pace for about 45-50 pts...I'll take that on a physical middle six winger making 2M all day.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hey, if he was 5'10" and with average strength and reach I would run his ass out of here. 6'6", unusually strong and long ...size isn't everything, but it's nice to have, especially come playoffs. He, Foligno, and JEE were terrific last year together. He was also on pace for about 45-50 pts...I'll take that on a physical middle six winger making 2M all day.
I don't disagree, but at the same time... when it comes time to re-up? If he's not improving, I'm not exactly excited about him continuing here either.

At $2m he's a bargain. At much more? Not so much.

Reactions: 57special

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Fun fact - Greenway was 4th on the Wild in points last year: behind only KK, KF, and MZ.

Was on pace for 46 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: zellmatic

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Beckman belongs nowhere near an NHL roster right now. I don't think scoring two goals against AHL players doesn't change that. It's not like he was matched up against Tarasenko, Saad and Parayko. If he has two goals tonight against Binnington, Parayko, Krug or other NHLers, then we can talk.
Can we talk?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Fun fact - Greenway was 4th on the Wild in points last year: behind only KK, KF, and MZ.

It’s not really saying much when you look at who he is being compared to outside of Eriksson Ek, who plays a more important position and is better at almost all other aspects of the game outside of passing (which is debatable cause Ek had to play with Greenway who can’t score for shit). The other competition is Foligno, Bonino, Rask and Hartman. It would be really sad if he couldn’t outscore Foligno, who missed 17 games, and the three grinders.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I really like Greenway as long as he accepts his role as a key part of the shutdown line with Foligno. And accepts that he be would on a controlled contract that reflects that value.

However, the nature of sports is to make as much money as you can and being fairly young, I wouldn't fault him for trying when his contract is up. He will just naturally weed out of the system and a guy like Sturm or a developed Duhaime will slot in

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Liked Rask, weirdly,

He undeservadly gets shit on in these forums because he's a 3c (at best) / 4c (realistically) who has been thrust into a top 6 role. Hes not the black hole some may portray him to be (but he's not necessarily that good either). Do I want him on my team? Probably not. But we play the hand we are dealt. As much as I want Rossi to come in and swipe a top 6 c role, I just don't see it yet.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He undeservadly gets shit on in these forums because he's a 3c (at best) / 4c (realistically) who has been thrust into a top 6 role. Hes not the black hole some may portray him to be (but he's not necessarily that good either). Do I want him on my team? Probably not. But we play the hand we are dealt. As much as I want Rossi to come in and swipe a top 6 c role, I just don't see it yet.

I agree and disagree.

While I agree he sometimes get undeservedly get shit on (he's still has a place as a well respected NHL 4th liner), I disagree because he is kind of a black hole offensively which is why he's at best a 3rd line and realistically a 4C. And when historically the Wild 3C tend to be quite solid (JEE brought shutdown game, Kunin could score, Coyle has size, Cullen could make plays, Koivu was Koivu), Rask doesn't bring anything special to that role. On the Wild, he belongs on the 4th line and even that has come into question with Sturm developing into a great 4C who brings energy and tenacity that Rask lacks.

Reactions: 57special

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I agree and disagree.

While I agree he sometimes get undeservedly get shit on (he's still has a place as a well respected NHL 4th liner), I disagree because he is kind of a black hole offensively which is why he's at best a 3rd line and realistically a 4C. And when historically the Wild 3C tend to be quite solid (JEE brought shutdown game, Kunin could score, Coyle has size, Cullen could make plays, Koivu was Koivu), Rask doesn't bring anything special to that role. On the Wild, he belongs on the 4th line and even that has come into question with Sturm developing into a great 4C who brings energy and tenacity that Rask lacks.

That's a fair point that I don't disagree with. To be clear, I don't like Rask and wish he was not on our team....but he's clearly a starting center, probably even a top 6 center unless Rossi really elevates his game, on this team right now.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Greenway should be a lock. You can't expect him to play the heavy game in an exhibition game. He is a proven player now and is not supposed to peak in a preseason game, unlike the prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad