GDT: Preseason: Flames @ Oilers (Split Squad) 7:00PM Hall-McDavid-Purcell Sekera+Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I bet Wilson is looking forward to this game, its the first and only time hell be on a highlight reel. And thats because hell be get walked around by Mcdavid and Hall time and time again

Engelland has made a career of this so maybe he can give some guidance about the best way to let a player blow by you and look as bad as possible
Holy **** you savage

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
This is me waking up and remembering there is hockey today.

REDDWARF-RimmerWakesUpHappy.gif

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Disappointed with who the Flames are sending. We couldn't even send Frolik to stay with Backlund?

Game in Calgary should be a slaughter though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Except apparebtly he has look good and he doesn't look out of place so far.

My question with this line is who is going to be the player to go into the corners?
Thats not really Purcells game and it shouldn't be up to Hall and/or McDavid to go dig the puck out.

McDeathbyCheerios*

My question with this line is who is going to be the player to go into the corners?
Thats not really Purcells game and it shouldn't be up to Hall and/or McDavid to go dig the puck out.
Did you not watch the Roy Yak and Purcell line last year. That's all he did and it was a big reason why they were so successful.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
am I hearing it right, TM is going to run the bench tonight at Rexall. Something Eakin was too good to run the bench during pre season

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
With the lineup the flames are sending to Edmonton, if we lose the home game McLellan should bag skate those guys until their feet fall off.

That's not really how pre-season works, often times the team with no-names on it plays way harder ... those guys are desperate to make the team so they play every game with the intensity of a Stanley Cup Finals game, the "veterans" are usually the ones in pre-season who just treat the games as a warm-up.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Disappointed with who the Flames are sending. We couldn't even send Frolik to stay with Backlund?

Game in Calgary should be a slaughter though.

4-1 Calgary is my guess. It's preseason, vets will coast once the outcome is no longer in doubt.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's not really how pre-season works, often times the team with no-names on it plays way harder ... those guys are desperate to make the team so they play every game with the intensity of a Stanley Cup Finals game, the "veterans" are usually the ones in pre-season who just treat the games as a warm-up.

Doesn't sound like McLellan is the type that would be too pleased with a sub-par effort. Outskilled, fine, but outworked is another story.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I reaaaaally wish we had signed Glencross, if for no other reason than playing him in Calgary games. He'd likely be super motivated to tear them a new one.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Doesn't sound like McLellan is the type that would be too pleased with a sub-par effort. Outskilled, fine, but outworked is another story.

I'm just saying, don't expect the game in Edmonton to be a cake walk, it very well could be a harder game to play in.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Our bottom 2 pairings are ass. Talbot will definitely have his work cut out for him, look for Colborne to get 1/2 of his preseason point total tonight as he seems to do his best against us.

I'm glad that Gazdic plays this game tonight in the event that things go sideways.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The problem is that they don't have anybody on wing outside of the 4th line and Pouliot who does that consistently so Purcell is there by default to be the vet presence.

It's too bad that Slepyshev probably isn't ready because I was really impressed with his ability to hit the bodies and win puck battles in the Golden Bears game, looked like a natural fit alongside McDavid.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Think Purcell is getting a rough ride from a bunch of people here. He went to Biosteel and I think he's one of those complementary players who plays well with skill players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Think Purcell is getting a rough ride from a bunch of people here. He went to Biosteel and I think he's one of those complementary players who plays well with skill players.

He'll score some points but he's not the type of skilled grinder that Hall-McDavid need on their wing. I don't think going through Biosteel training will change the fact that he's a soft player by nature.
A player like Joel Ward would have been a perfect fit. Ah well.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hall-McDavid-Purcell

Very excited to see Hall and McDavid together for the first time. I've been vocal in my complete distaste for Purcell and how he plays. He's too slow for this line in my opinion. A player like Pitlick, if he could stay healthy, would work a lot better on this line. Very fast, physical, and loves going into corners.

Draisaitl-Lander-Yakupov

Another interesting one. I have a feeling we see Purcell and Yakupov switch lines at some point this game. Purcell would work a lot better on this line where Draisaitl will be slowing things down. Yakupov goes full speed at all time but I am very interested to see how this line performs.

Hamilton-Miller-Pitlick

Only interesting player for me on this line is Pitlick. Hamilton and Miller shouldn't be making our NHL roster at any point in the future but Pitlick has always had that wildcard factor. We saw how Virtanen played in the young stars tournament. These are similar players, and if Pitlick can stay healthy, he could be a great addition to this team. Here's to hoping.

Gazdic-Winquist-Ford

I don't like how they put Winquist with these two. Winquist showed he's an offensive player in the AHL last year and they've got him playing with Gazdic and Ford. Ford put up decent points last year but he's 30 years old. Gazdic is in the lineup to protect. I don't see this line doing much of anything.

Defencemen:

Sekera-Fayne

Can't wait to see this pair. Two very simple players. This will be our #1 pair all season. Nothing spectacular but they will be solid. An ideal 2nd pairing on playoff teams.

Ference-Nikitin

Can't wait to see this line too, but for completely opposite reasons. The ****show that will ensue watching these two fumble around in their own zone and get hemmed in by tryout players will be hilarious. Nikitin has no future in the NHL. Most people seem to forget he was getting healthy scratched in Columbus before we decided to pick him up as a reclamation project. Ference will be our #7 this year, maybe #8 and will be playing half the games.

Davidson/Hunt-Oesterle

I love Davidson and Oesterle. Both good players who can show their stuff tonight. Unfortunately, our NHL D is already set in my opinion.

Goaltenders:

Talbot
Laurikainen

I've never watched Talbot play. Laurikainen looked good in the young stars games. Should be a fun night.

Aug 10, 2015
I'm glad that Gazdic plays this game tonight in the event that things go sideways.

Apparently in the new NHL you no longer have to worry about that (which is a good thing as I had the same concern about things "going sideways").

I too am very happy to see Gazdic in the Edmonton lineup for tonight.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I agree, I like the line. If there is one thing Purcell does well it is complement good players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Apparently in the new NHL you no longer have to worry about that (which is a good thing as I had the same concern about things "going sideways").

I too am very happy to see Gazdic in the Edmonton lineup for tonight.

I definitely want him watching McDavid's back. Calgary has one hell of a tough lineup in Calgary tonight, that game could get chippy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad