GDT: Preseason - Devils vs. Rangers - 7PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
But it will be early in the season?

To me, 10 games is the marking point. If the team has a lousy first 10 games, then they're in a hole. If they have a lousy first 2 games? Not so much.

So 1-5 or 0-6 preseason and then 0-2 start to the reg season would not be a cause of concern? :help:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
obviously i would like the team to win a game, but this isn't the team that will be playing regular season games. there was one nhl line last night, and they looked great. there was one nhl d pairing last night. gryba should not be on the roster, yakovlev will probably not be a top 6 and maybe smith gets his 9 games.

im not concerned about the team based on the preseason performance because there are positives to take away. hall-hischier-palmieri should be the number 1 line and a dominant one at that. Bratt played his best game since last January. I was nervous that he was a flash in the pan and his first game gave a little cause for worry but last night he looked great. lack was serviceable as a backup if schneider's not on the roster. seney looks like he will be ready for the nhl soon.

im not saying the team will be fine, but im also not panicking based on a 60% nhl roster.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
So 1-5 or 0-6 preseason and then 0-2 start to the reg season would not be a cause of concern? :help:

Do we have to rehash that list of preseason records for the last 5 or so Cup winners? They all had losing records.

You know that, though. And you know exactly what you’re doing here with this melodramatic, sky-is-falling nonsense you pull far too frequently. Cut the ****. It’s preseason, it means nothing, and you know it.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
and people complaining about the future - hischier, bratt, smith, wood and butcher are a solid foundation to build around, hopefully adding zacha to the mix if he elevates his game.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Guys, just ignore. You're better off. :laugh:

I'm surprised people thought Lack was bad. It wasn't a great outing but given the volume of shots, he at least kept the team in the game. I can't really fault him on that 2nd goal. It wasn't pretty looking, but after the blocked shot, it went right back to Fogarty and he was completely thrown off.

Really liked the way those top two lines played last night. Noesen was noticeable at times as well with some really strong shifts. The biggest thing we struggled with was getting shots through, but I also thought they passed up some potential shots as well so they may have been getting a bit too cute with passes at times.

Thought Ty was noticeably confident with the puck, which is great to see.

At the end of the day, it's preseason. This is the warmup. You're looking at what you have aside from the locks on the roster. This is not indicative of anything when you still haven't iced your full lineup in a game, and you're playing your backup/3rd string goalie for the full 60.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I live in PA

Wow you are blacked out from games at Madison Square Garden I am surprised. But you get the Devils games at home and away except Rangers playing at MSG, Pittsburgh playing in Pittsburgh and Philly playing in Philly. I am surprised . Thanks for sharing I will have to find out what happens viewing from Monmouth County on DirecTV.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Do we have to rehash that list of preseason records for the last 5 or so Cup winners? They all had losing records.

You know that, though. And you know exactly what you’re doing here with this melodramatic, sky-is-falling nonsense you pull far too frequently. Cut the ****. It’s preseason, it means nothing, and you know it.

I could tell you haven't watched all of the games.

We have not played solid Devils hockey like we saw most of last season

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I could tell you haven't watched all of the games.

We have not played solid Devils hockey like we saw most of last season

Yeah, but so much of that is because the guys who are locks are barely even trying, and there are a lot of locks. It's not because they all regressed.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It’s preseason. Records mean nothing. Either do points.
Justin Papineau scores 5 goals in one preseason game and never made the team.
Top team go into the regular season with terrible preseason records all the time

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm convinced some would rather be "right" at the expense of the team and our players than actually have success.

It's so sad.
Another prophet of disaster who says the ship is lost
Another prophet of disaster leaving you to count the cost
Taunting us with visions, afflicting us with fear
Predicting war [losses] for millions in the hopes that one appears.
-Iron Maiden

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
*opens thread; observes preseason-induced panic*

giphy.gif

Reactions: JK3

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I thought the Devils looked at of sync last night. For the first two periods the Rangers were the better team. They sure did a better job of covering the slot area and made it difficult to enter their zone. Ok, it’s still pre season. As for some of are players, the only kid that has impressed is Smith and I’d still send him back to his junior team if only to give him another season to grow some more muscle. McLeod needs to go down for at least another season. The guy I would give 9 games to is Seney. We need scoring and would like to see him with some regulars. I guess JQ makes the team, just not sure how successful he’ll be playing with Boyle on the 4th. line.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I thought the Devils looked at of sync last night. For the first two periods the Rangers were the better team. They sure did a better job of covering the slot area and made it difficult to enter their zone. Ok, it’s still pre season. As for some of are players, the only kid that has impressed is Smith and I’d still send him back to his junior team if only to give him another season to grow some more muscle. McLeod needs to go down for at least another season. The guy I would give 9 games to is Seney. We need scoring and would like to see him with some regulars. I guess JQ makes the team, just not sure how successful he’ll be playing with Boyle on the 4th. line.
I don't think 9 games means anything for Seney. I think it only applies to 18/19 year olds in juniors.

Also, as I said before, we're allowed to carry 3 extra players until we get back from Europe. At this point, I think Seney and Smith have at least earned the right to fill one of those extra slots.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Why are we playing a preseason game out in Wpg?

We are already traveling to Europe

Why not play vs Philly or a home game vs NYb?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I probably say 10 things on here are my favorite thing, but I think my favorite thing on here is the overreaction to regular season overtime losses. It's a slightly weighted coin toss, the Devils had two great chances to score and didn't, the Rangers converted on one of theirs. If they had won, the reaction wouldn't be 180 degrees different, since they didn't play well, but certainly the Panicky Petes would have to shift their narrative.

If McLeod, Yakovlev, and Gryba are called upon to be large contributors to this year's team, the Devils are in trouble; that's what these preseason games are showing. Thankfully, I don't think that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad