GDT: Preseason #4 | Devils at Flyers | September 30, 2023 | 7:00 PM | NBCSP+

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It might be. Hathaway is a strong member of a 4th line, Poehling may or may not rebound and isn't just a defensive face-puncher, and Deslauriers ... meh. The issue -- and I know you know this, too -- is how this pulls the shredded shower curtain back on the FO's prioritizing building the 4th line.
Hathaway is a low cost signing who's prime trade bait (teams love guys like that for the PO).
Poehling at 24 is younger and looks better than Laczynski (26).
Not exactly prioritizing the 4th line.

Deslauriers is a solid forechecker, except he can't skate, but I think he's gone after this season, Briere inherited him, but with guys like Desnoyers (21), Avon (20), Tuomaalas (20) and Wisdom (21) in LHV, they're going to have to clear room next season for at least one of them in the bottom six. But given their age and skill level, a season in the AHL won't hurt them.

How are we expecting the flyers to be this year? Haven't followed in about 5 or so years..
Who knows? Lot's of unkinowns.

If Couts stays healthy, I'd say 80-85 points, more if some kids step up (Zamulia, Foerster;/Brink et al), less if some players regress or get hurt.
They should have a solid forward group, above average goalies, but the defense???

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hathaway is a low cost signing who's prime trade bait (teams love guys like that for the PO).
Poehling at 24 is younger and looks better than Laczynski (26).
Not exactly prioritizing the 4th line.

Deslauriers is a solid forechecker, except he can't skate, but I think he's gone after this season, Briere inherited him, but with guys like Desnoyers (21), Avon (20), Tuomaalas (20) and Wisdom (21) in LHV, they're going to have to clear room next season for at least one of them in the bottom six. But given their age and skill level, a season in the AHL won't hurt them.
Thanks for your answer, dead. I don't see how your summaries of the 3 players tagged to comprise the 4th line counter my statement. Plus, the fact that we agree on who they are makes my point.

That being said, it would be fantastic if Poehling had a breakout season and the Flyers actually built some C depth. I hope he gets a look up the lineup from time to time. The sooner Hathaway and his dirty work are traded away, the happier I will be. And Deslauriers can be gone asap, too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm fine with Hathaway in the short-term, he's a pretty solid player who could probably hold his own on the 3rd line. But the purpose of signing him is using money to eventually get draft picks.

I'd love to see Allison make a smooth adjustment to LW, show the speed and attack mentality of his cameo two years ago, and stay healthy - b/c if he could do that, he'd push Deslauriers to the bench (bigger, faster, stronger, and not afraid to get into players' faces).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm fine with Hathaway in the short-term, he's a pretty solid player who could probably hold his own on the 3rd line. But the purpose of signing him is using money to eventually get draft picks.

I'd love to see Allison make a smooth adjustment to LW, show the speed and attack mentality of his cameo two years ago, and stay healthy - b/c if he could do that, he'd push Deslauriers to the bench (bigger, faster, stronger, and not afraid to get into players' faces).

Hathaway goes against everything you've been saying they should be doing. It isn't a thing a rebuilding team should do.

It is a thing a team does if, as theyve openly said, they think they're in Year 2 of a 3 year rebuild, and believe all these filler pieces will be relevant on the other side.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad