GDT: Preseason – Sabres at Leafs – Sun Sep 22 – 7:00PM ET – TV: LeafsTV – Radio: 1520-AM

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
#NHL has fined #Sabres head coach Ron Rolston for "player selection and team conduct" after Sunday brawl in Toronto.

The NHL, everyone!

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
#NHL has fined #Sabres head coach Ron Rolston for "player selection and team conduct" after Sunday brawl in Toronto.

The NHL, everyone!

player selection...? so any time scotts on the ice he will be fined?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The NHL, everyone!

Wow, this is beyond absurd. The league couldn't more clearly be saying "we are treating players differently".

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

The NHL, everyone!

Really.

I mean, if that's a consistent penalty given out to every coach who puts out his enforcers after confrontational incidents, that's fine.

Or if they want to just ban fighting, that would be fine, too. But don't allow fighting and then fine the guy who sends out his fighters in a situation where a fight is called for.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Holy hell that is terrible.

He was on the ice. Before the incident started. It wasn't like he was run out there with the express purpose of starting a fight. Does this mean that Kessel gets out of this penalty free?

Christ what a horrible decision.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Holy hell that is terrible.

He was on the ice. Before the incident started. It wasn't like he was run out there with the express purpose of starting a fight. Does this mean that Kessel gets out of this penalty free?

Christ what a horrible decision.

I don't know about some, but I consider a 3 game preseason suspension pretty much penalty free.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Wow, this is beyond absurd. The league couldn't more clearly be saying "we are treating players differently".

And more, "we are treating teams differently".

Just in case anyone was still wondering about that.

I don't know about some, but I consider a 3 game preseason suspension pretty much penalty free.

I'm wondering if the next time Kessel starts harvesting imaginary wheat this year, will the Wheel Of Shanaban video mention that he has "No Regular Season History"?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Really.

I mean, if that's a consistent penalty given out to every coach who puts out his enforcers after confrontational incidents, that's fine.

Or if they want to just ban fighting, that would be fine, too. But don't allow fighting and then fine the guy who sends out his fighters in a situation where a fight is called for.

But ...the only player replaced was Tropp...the other two players stayed on the ice (one of them Scott).

Leafs had last change and choose Kessel.

He never put out enforcers in response.

FV

Mar 17, 2010
Hamilton New York
I have to laugh at all of the Leafs fans coming in here arguing about big mean ol' John John. Wrong forum fellas. I think there is a leafs page for that :laugh:

Regardless of "who's at fault" or "who broke the code" or "which coach is a ****** for what reason" I am glad to see the sabres beat the leafs in the goon category. I'd rather the team steps up and acts instead of reacting, or worse yet...not reacting at all. If nothing else, this team will be exciting this year.

I hope Tropp and Foligno recover quickly.

How did Buffalo win anything? They lost pretty much every fight and Scott didn't even get a punch in.

The whole thing was ridiculous. Entertaining, but ridiculous.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
How did Buffalo win anything? They lost pretty much every fight and Scott didn't even get a punch in.

The whole thing was ridiculous. Entertaining, but ridiculous.

I should have clarified. They didn't win the fights, but they didn't back down and they didn't run away. I guess that may not technically be out gooning the Leafs, but they're certainly much tougher looking than two seasons ago. Just sayin'.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It's interesting that Kessel is out for the rest of the pre-season, yet Clarkson isn't...

:sarcasm:
Pretty sure you meant to write it the other way, since Clarkson's suspension, by NHL rule, must be reg season, and the irony is that Kessel's isn't.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-kessel-suffered-no-side-effects-for-slashes/

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...s-to-vlasics-complaints-on-kessel-punishment/

It's interesting that a player on the left coast weighed in on Kessel's slap on the wrist and Shanny sort of commented to it.
I read differently. The second link author purports that Shanahan is owning up to the discipline. I disagree. To me, I read that solely as "don't complain publicly about my job performance".

Also, the quote from Shanahan says that each review is done subjectively. The problem I, and I believe most fans have, is that there is no objectivity and 100% subjectivity in far, far too many of Shanahan's rulings, and even in terms of which on-ice incidents he "rules" on vs. those he doesn't. By their nature, organized sports require objectivity, most particularly at the professional levels. The NHL fails us fans in this regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad