GWT: Premier League Round 36 4/30-5/2

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Lineker made a good point on MOTD saying that Ranieri won the league with class. He kept his head down and let his team do the talking on the pitch. He didn't revert to mindgames or attacks on other teams/media/own players.

Mourinho being the biggest culprit of everything mentioned above.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Why do people keep saying Leicester was 5000 - 1?

There are only 20 teams in the league so they were 20 - 1.

:sarcasm:

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Will Spurs go down as one of the best teams to not win the league in Premier League history? Sure, there's been better, on paper, but when you look at Spurs team they've got:

One of the best keepers in the world in front of a fantastic defence who all played above themselves for the entire season.

A holding midfielder in Dier who England have maybe waited a generation for. It's certainly been years since we've had someone who combines physical play and technical ability as well as him.

Possibly the most talented British teenager since Rooney.

Possibly the best British goalscorer since Shearer.

A wealth of high quality creative players (Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen etc.)

Just about every single one of these players put in their best seasons of their careers, and still ended up losing the title somehow. I imagine they will be forgotten in all of this, but the way Spurs have developed young English players should be a lesson to the entire league.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Spurs had a great season no doubt, but they're far from the best team not to win.

Yes, they should be commended for developing good English talent, but ultimately that team is still a 4th-6th place side that played above itself this year.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Spurs had a great season no doubt, but they're far from the best team not to win.

Yes, they should be commended for developing good English talent, but ultimately that team is still a 4th-6th place side that played above itself this year.

If that's a 4th-6th place squad, what's Manchester United?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Will Spurs go down as one of the best teams to not win the league in Premier League history? Sure, there's been better, on paper, but when you look at Spurs team they've got:

One of the best keepers in the world in front of a fantastic defence who all played above themselves for the entire season.

A holding midfielder in Dier who England have maybe waited a generation for. It's certainly been years since we've had someone who combines physical play and technical ability as well as him.

Just about every single one of these players put in their best seasons of their careers, and still ended up losing the title somehow. I imagine they will be forgotten in all of this, but the way Spurs have developed young English players should be a lesson to the entire league.

2008-09 Liverpool

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Leicester win it with 77 points, a total Liverpool topped in 2002 (80-2nd), 2006 (82-3rd), 2009 (86-2nd) and 2014 (84-2nd).

From TAW but interesting.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Leicester win it with 77 points, a total Liverpool topped in 2002 (80-2nd), 2006 (82-3rd), 2009 (86-2nd) and 2014 (84-2nd).

Same number of games? Leicester still has two games to play.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Same number of games? Leicester still has two games to play.

Doesn't matter, that's the level no other team will reach, so no other team will have that many points, meaning second place and lower will have less points than that. So there will be no team with as many points as the cited Liverpool teams who excelled but didn't get the title.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Since 2000 the lowest title winning point total was 80 by United in 00/01 and 10/11.

The lowest 2nd place finish was 70 by Arsenal in 00/01 and 71 by Chelsea/City in 10/11

Leicester caps out at 83 this year which would be tied for 3rd lowest (the two above as well as 83 by United in 02/03)

Tottenham caps out at 76 which would be the 4th lowest 2nd place finish (the two above as well as 73 by Arsenal in 99/00)

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
2008-09 Liverpool

oct-1995-les-ferdinand-and-david-ginola-of-newcastle-united-celebrate-picture-id1204675

I've been watching for 42 years and agreed. Others include Newcastle’s 1995/96, Arsenal’s 2007/08, and Liverpool’s 2013/14.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Oh please. Fewest goals allowed, most goals scored (2nd most by 1 now actually, my mistake), best goal differential.

They were the best team by a lot this year. But Leicester did what they had to do.

Still flying to London today to go to WHL next weekend to support my Spurs. Very proud of them.

Next year, they will be even better.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm not arguing they didn't have a great season, but they're far from the best team to finish 2nd and frankly their performance this year would usually be good for 3rd-4th in the league. Sure they've got the highest goal differential, but that differential would only put them in the top 2 of the league a couple times in the last decade and I don't think would ever have been tops except for this year.

This year is probably the worst performance for the big clubs combined since the 90s. Spurs did well this season and made a good run, but I just don't see them being a consistent title challenger or even consistent UCL group stage contestant with their current team.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I'm not arguing they didn't have a great season, but they're far from the best team to finish 2nd and frankly their performance this year would usually be good for 3rd-4th in the league. Sure they've got the highest goal differential, but that differential would only put them in the top 2 of the league a couple times in the last decade and I don't think would ever have been tops except for this year.

This year is probably the worst performance for the big clubs combined since the 90s. Spurs did well this season and made a good run, but I just don't see them being a consistent title challenger or even consistent UCL group stage contestant with their current team.

Yeah, I could probably go with that. That said, I don't think they're going anywhere in terms of being regular fixtures in the top four. United are still in transition and Arsenal might be about to enter that period too. That Spurs team is now settled, young and has a top three striker in the league. Alli, Lamela and Dier could all regress, but you'd expect them to improve with age and experience. I'm very intrigued to see how they do next season, considering that they stumbled out of the gates somewhat this year.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Really incredible season by Leicester. I personally have underestimated it, though I still think there is some context with the bigger clubs really underperforming. I can't see a repeat of this season even if they hold on to every player. Still just an amazing run and congratulations to them.

Ranieri deserves a ton of credit. Vardy, Mahrez and Kante seem to get all the press on this forum and elsewhere, but Ranieri really deserves as much as one of those guys. I've always thought he was an underrated manager despite being somewhat deserving the "tinkerman" label. He's done well in the past too with a very good stint at Roma and I thought he did pretty well with Chelsea where a number of their key players were brought in under his tenure. I'd like to see him go to Roma before he retires which I think will be pretty soon.

Diego Costa is such a wonderful footballer.

Dier needs to get beaten the **** up in the parking lot

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Really incredible season by Leicester. I personally have underestimated it, though I still think there is some context with the bigger clubs really underperforming. I can't see a repeat of this season even if they hold on to every player. Still just an amazing run and congratulations to them.

Ranieri deserves a ton of credit. Vardy, Mahrez and Kante seem to get all the press on this forum and elsewhere, but Ranieri really deserves as much as one of those guys. I've always thought he was an underrated manager despite being somewhat deserving the "tinkerman" label. He's done well in the past too with a very good stint at Roma and I thought he did pretty well with Chelsea where a number of their key players were brought in under his tenure. I'd like to see him go to Roma before he retires which I think will be pretty soon.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yup very happy for Ranieri

His best quality is that he has an open mind

He said suring an interview that he has been attending matches to observe younger coaches like Guardiola, Conte, Simeone, etc

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015

Just about every single one of these players put in their best seasons of their careers, and still ended up losing the title somehow. I imagine they will be forgotten in all of this, but the way Spurs have developed young English players should be a lesson to the entire league.[/QUOTE]

The coach has developped English soccer. He did the same at Southampton. So many good players from there while he was the coach.

Poch is a fantastic coach. I ll take his approach over ****** old school bs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad